News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: Meet the "Dragon Technology" C-5000  (Read 18678 times)

Karl

Meet the "Dragon Technology" C-5000
« on: 08, April, 2010 - 22:21:23 »
ElectricDave has been a very busy man in his workshop lately, constructing an electric vehicle based on the shape of the C5 bodyshell. He is hoping to have it up and running for Santa Pod , although it probably won't be fully completed in time.

His target is for it to be twice as fast as Challenger...

Some piccies of his latest project;

Although you can see the C5 "D.N.A."  , this amazing vehicle has been built from scratch. It is slightly wider than a standard C5, and you sit lower inside it.   The bodyshell is a two piece fibreglass construction, the top section lifts off (like a dragster) from the passenger "tub" to allow access to the mechanical bits,batteries etc.

This is just a "teaser" , more details to follow.... 8)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Re: Meet the "Dragon Technology" C-5000
« Reply #1 on: 08, April, 2010 - 22:33:21 »
He really is a very talanted chap

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 09, April, 2010 - 08:36:56 »
He really is a very talanted chap

..most definitely  8)

He's got his hands full at the moment racing against the clock to get it running in time for Santa Pod, one of the reasons why the metal gearbox conversions have been scheduled for release in September.

He is planning on having front and rear suspension , a seat that lifts up and down to help with getting in/out ,disc brakes and a nice big motor.

Can't wait to see it all up and running. I'm going back next week to take a few more piccies  ;)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 09, April, 2010 - 10:45:31 »
WOW, WOW and WOW again, Dragon technology should have a go at Dragon's den, who know's with a big sponsor and some of the Dragon's money a new, better and sucessful C5 could be just around the corner.

Retro Andy.

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 09, April, 2010 - 23:07:52 »
miniDaz - I don't know what happened to your earlier post mate , any chance you could post it again ?  :o

I was quoting from it, went to correct my own posting, and seemed to have gobbled up your post in the editing process ? :-\

(reminder to myself, keep away from the computer after shiftwork  ;))

In answer to your question though; yes - its all my fault - I started ElectricDave off on this slippery slope  ;D

Offline minidaz

• Battery level: 6
« Reply #5 on: 10, April, 2010 - 10:11:04 »
 ;D Got your email Karl. Don't worry, i know it wasn't intentional ( unlike some sites i've been on , but that's another story  :D )

If i remember i said something like :

As Andy said, WOW!

Certainly looks like Dave has put alot of thought, aswell as effort, in to it.
And my question that Karl answered , which i'm now asking after the answer  :D was : Karl, was Dave doing things like this before Challenger or did you start him on the slippery slope ?

Daz

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 14, April, 2010 - 18:24:41 »
Some more piccies of the c-5000, taken today ;

The original drawing;

..plus some of the latest developments;

As you can see, electricDave is making good progress but he has also reached the point where he has to decide what not to do in order to have it running for Santa Pod.

The cosmetics - painting,stickers etc - and some of the ancillary stuff such as gauges etc will be deferred until after Santa Pod ,along with the rear suspension. The plan is for these to be done in time for Brooklands in September, followed by the BVS electrathon.

In the meantime, the pictures show he has the front suspension in place, some basic wiring, batteries ,motor and rear axle.

All coming together nicely  8)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #7 on: 16, April, 2010 - 12:16:26 »
I honestly think that ElectricDave deserves a medal for it or even a knighthood ? he should be known from now on as :- Sir ElectricDave !

Retro Andy

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 16, April, 2010 - 12:45:36 »
I'm chomping at the bit to see it up and running.... 8)

Can't wait until it's all finished, should be a bit of a show stopper at Brooklands in September.

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #9 on: 16, April, 2010 - 15:45:55 »
i have now sussed out who THE STIG realy is, how do i know? well just look at the plan on the wall THAT'S HIS HELMET + IT's HIS WHITE BOILER SUIT!

so come in electricdave and own up - i've caught you fair and square  ;D.

(if you do come true right now and own up, i won't mention about the brake leavers being modeled on you eyebrows - honest!  ;))

seriously though ED, some fascinating and brilliant work being done here, i especially like the looks of the new steering setup, and the sheer size of that motor  :P.

just curious, from the drawing means it's not going to have the pedal power option.

regs
alan

iDENTITi

« Reply #10 on: 02, May, 2010 - 13:32:34 »
What motor is he using? and what controller?
Seems interesting, theres a few bits I'd have done differently but each to their own!
I'm probably going to do similar but with a standard shell (new chassis though...)

Karl

« Reply #11 on: 02, May, 2010 - 18:14:52 »
The c-5000 is up and running, but still a "work in progress" project.

Once ElectricDave is happy with it I'll put some more piccies up - either way I anticipate he will have it finished for Brooklands and the BVS electrathon in September  8)

It is already scarily quick...Santa Pod should be interesting next year  ;D

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #12 on: 02, May, 2010 - 19:15:47 »
Can I have a go - oh please

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #13 on: 03, May, 2010 - 10:40:05 »
Can't wait to see some pictures of the finished result and even more so see it in action.  :)

Retro Andy

Karl

« Reply #14 on: 27, May, 2010 - 19:06:36 »
Latest updates on the c-5000 , it now has a redesigned front end - complete with twin disc brakes ;

..to help the rear disc brake bring everything to halt when required  ;D;

..it is coming together nicely  :). ElectricDave is mocking up a few different screens to see what works best;

We are hoping it will be fully tested and ready for the Brooklands event in September...looking good so far  8)