News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: My new restoration complete stripdown and rebuild up into a petrol and electric  (Read 17328 times)

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
Me to, any chance ??  That looks great, just the job. ;D

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Make that three  ;) Would like to keep mine looking as standard, and with a front disc hidden like this is really good, top stuff Chas.

Retro Andy.

Offline jk

• Battery level: 1
Hi Chas,
Your front disc brake looks good. Got some questions tho,
Is that a 120mm rotor? and have you tried a 140mm one?
Did you need to make some sort of boss to adapt the disc to the wheel or just bolt it through?
Have you used this set up before and is there any problems with only 3 bolts stressing/cracking the hub?
I have been looking into a similar setup for my c5, but its still an ongoing project, so any help or information would be appreciated.
Jason

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Just been working on the C5 .....check out photos ...

Karl

Looks nice and neatly done  8)

Very clean and tidy job.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
Looking very nice, a real good job Chas  :)

Retro Andy

• Millennium Member
Been working on the C5/PETROL/ELECTRIC over the last few day.s take a look at it now ....
You will see that I fitted some mud flaps then realized that the exhaust would be touching it so they had to go ...Replaced them with alloy strips to keep the heat away from the plastic ..

Had a test on the electric side and all working well ...Then used the electric start on the petrol and again started up great ...All the electrics working great ....
All it needs now is to connect up the kill switch and then a run....
Just to let you know what Iv done to get it up and running .A complete strip down and cleaned .

First of all a brand new caliper and disc on the front wheel .New stickers fitted .New brake cables fitted .
Striped all but the pod and the start switch wiring from the body and replaced it with the moto wiring ...I can now control all from the handle bars lighs/indicators/horn/start the petrol and the c5 ..also cut stop the engine ..volt meter/speed ohmeter /fuse.key ignition.. new tires all round  thanks to Karl ..Disk brake on the back .New c5 motor +18 mm belt .Made up some new power safety cables with relay and diode in case I get my wires crossed .New battery straps made up and fitted ...

« Last Edit: 23, September, 2010 - 07:31:28 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

• Millennium Member
Been working on the C5/PETROL/ELECTRIC over the last few day.s take a look at it now ....
You will see that I fitted some mud flaps then realized that the exhaust would be touching it so they had to go ...Replaced them with alloy strips to keep the heat away from the plastic ..

Had a test on the electric side and all working well ...Then used the electric start on the petrol and again started up great ...All the electrics working great ....
All it needs now is to connect up the kill switch and then a run....
Just to let you know what Iv done to get it up and running .A complete strip down and clean up

First of all a brand new caliper and disc on the front wheel
striped all but the pod and the start switch wiring from the body and replaced it with the moto wiring ...I can now control all from the handle bars lighs/indicators/horn/start the petrol and the c5 ..also cut stop the engine ..volt meter/speed ohmeter /fuse.key ignition.. new tires all round  thanks to Karl ..Disk brake on the back .New c5 motor +18 mm belt .Made up some new power safety cables with relay and diode in case I get my wires crossed .New battery straps made up and fitted ...

• Millennium Member
Seem to have uploaded it twice sorry Chas ................

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
Very nice Chas, very nice indeed  :) Do you have a remove button option in the right hand corner if you wanted only one set of pictures to appear ?

P.S How many C5's do you have ?

Retro Andy.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
A very tidy job Chas - well done

alexbromo

f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c !!!!

You are really a wizard !

:)

Alex Bromo

• Millennium Member
Just finished fitting the kill switch all I need now is some dry weather .Cannot wait for a test run ..

• Millennium Member
Hi Andy ansewer to your question ....(how many c5 have you got )

Well I have 4 unused never been on the road ..(mint)
Two others in very good condition
One sturmey archer 3 speed in very good condition
Two petrol/electric c5 .
One 24 volt again in very good condition
One factory fitted twin battery same condition
+ the Supergran sledge ....
And 4 ready for restoration ...
Also one body that is covered in duct tape not yet found out to get the tape off  (Panto c5)
« Last Edit: 24, September, 2010 - 08:27:17 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Hi Andy ansewer to your question ....(how many c5 have you got )

Well I have 4 unused never been on the road ..(mint)
Two others in very good condition
One sturmey archer 3 speed in very good condition
One 24 volt again in very good condition
One factory fitted twin battery same condition
+ the Supergran sledge ....
And 4 ready for restoration ...
Also one body that is covered in tape not yet found out to get the tape off  (Panto c5)

And I have your Sturmey Archers twin sister (built by your own fair hand) - a very good collection and a well worthy tittle 'C5 Enthusiast' keep putting them back together Chas !