News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Control box  (Read 9424 times)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Control box
« on: 28, October, 2010 - 00:04:45 »
Diodes

D1 - IN54001  - Maplin ref : QL82
D2 -
D3 - IN4001 - Maplin Ref : QL73
D4 - IN4001 - Maplin Ref : QL73

Fuses

FS1 -5amp 20mm Quick blow -
http://www.c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?products_id=37

FS2 -1amp 20mm Quick blow -
http://www.c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?products_id=37
« Last Edit: 28, October, 2010 - 00:21:27 by radiomarty »

Karl

Re: Control box
« Reply #1 on: 28, October, 2010 - 23:22:56 »
Thanks for making a start Marty, Plod has also emailed me an excel spreadsheet of stuff he wants to put on here as well - neither of us are too sure on how to do that though  ;D.

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #2 on: 29, October, 2010 - 00:41:45 »
I found this site that hosts file sharing.

So have uploaded a test page and the link is below.

http://www.usaupload.net/d/oeyons09kqa

Not sure how well it will work, but have a look and let me know what you think.

I won't upload anything else until its been given a good test.

John

aladds

« Reply #3 on: 29, October, 2010 - 08:35:56 »
How about Google Docs?

I've uploaded it to my account here, and anyone with this link should be able to view it:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AgB4pmYqCNj_dHB2THBxTEhvYzFBQVBhd0ZQRkhFTGc&hl=en&authkey=CIm6uaAK
« Last Edit: 01, November, 2010 - 22:44:59 by aladds »

aladds

« Reply #4 on: 01, November, 2010 - 21:46:44 »
I've updated the above link with a number of Farnell part numbers (replacements are available for many devices). If you've tested some of the things marked as unconfirmed, do please let me know so I can change it.

Edit:
I've just stuck in a big order with Farnell for a load of these components. I'll check off the ones which are right by removing their (unconfirmed) labels.

Edit (2):
I have a feeling that many of those resistors are vastly over-specified in terms of power, 1/2W equivalents would certainly suffice (except for R1, of course). The problem is that many of the obscure values aren't available as Farnell UK stock (US stock has a ~£16 order fee excess), but are available as higher wattage versions. I was also doing this late at night, so I may have made other blunders, too. I'll make sure to check all the codes before removing the "unconfirmed" labels.
« Last Edit: 02, November, 2010 - 08:55:07 by aladds »

aladds

« Reply #5 on: 03, November, 2010 - 20:09:59 »
Well, my order came... missing most of the parts I ordered. Now that's just a bit rubbish, I go to great lengths to make sure that I only order stuff which they have in stock and they then go and tell me it isn't, and I'll get it when it is... *grumble*

In the mean time, I suggest you only order opamps and BC557 transistors from Farnell... If anything at all...

EDIT: Called them and they fixed it. At least their customer service is good.
« Last Edit: 04, November, 2010 - 23:55:29 by aladds »

aladds

« Reply #6 on: 24, December, 2010 - 23:34:38 »
Regarding the part numbers given in my spreadsheet, it seems that I've mistakenly managed to mix up companies (due to the way I order parts through my University). What that means is that part numbers which are all numbers are, as stated, all from Farnell. Part numbers beginning with "SC" however, are from another company, which is connected to Farnell, but which is in fact called CPC (cpc.farnell.com). The only thing which this might affect is minimum orders. I've only ever ordered through the University side, which has a minimum order value of £20, but I can order from Farnell and CPC in one transaction. If you can't, that might cause potential problems... The easiest long-term solution is probably to find the equivalent parts from the other supplier, such that they can all be ordered together.

Sorry about that!

Adam

aladds

« Reply #7 on: 29, December, 2010 - 19:03:21 »
I've fitted the ZTX450, 2n3904 and 2n3906 to my control box as replecements for the ZTX449, BC182 and BC212 respectively. As stated on the spreadsheet, the 2N3904 and 2N3906 have different pinouts from the BC182 & BC212, so the collector and base on both need to be swapped (I'll post photos in a bit)

I've not fitted the board back to my C5 as yet, but the bench test has been successful. I actually managed to accidentally connect power the wrong way to my board, which resulted in all the lights on the pod being dim. A new 7805 and 1AMP fuse sorted that out, however.

I also have a new relay to test when everything's back on board. If these are successful then I'll make them as so on the spreadsheet. The only other modifications I've made are a few diodes replaced, a new LM358 and the other replacement fuse (for lights etc.)

I'm also planning something in regard to the control box and pod, development of which shall be revealed shortly...

aladds

« Reply #8 on: 29, December, 2010 - 20:33:51 »
Well, aside from the current sensing not working (I'm pretty sure the new ULA replacement will sort that one out!), all the new components seem to be working fine. I've not tested the relay yet, however, because the connectors are slightly too big. I'll have to think about that one....

Thus, the 2N3904, 2N3906, ZTX450 are A-OK!

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #9 on: 24, September, 2012 - 23:41:35 »
Hi aladds,

with reference to your Replacement List, please read my comment (Reply #9) in 'Replacement components? '

Regards.

KarlG.

Offline C-Five

• Battery level: 2
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #10 on: 10, July, 2013 - 00:48:26 »
Hi everyone

I need to get hold of a control box PCB diagram so that a friend who is good with electrical circuits can trace a fault and repair it for me.  Can anyone help?  It needs to show as much detail as possible.

Thanks!