News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Axle mount (RHS)  (Read 2289 times)

aladds

Axle mount (RHS)
« on: 28, October, 2010 - 20:49:28 »
Has anyone tried replacing the RHS axle mount with something made of anything but plastic? I just snapped mine under heavy braking coming down the big cycle bridge over the railway line in Cambridge (if you know the area you know where I mean!)

In the mean time I can probably strap it down with a piece of steel, but that's hardly lasting solution... I know mounting the bearing on which the axle is attached shouldn't be hard, but then the brake is lost. Perhaps I could fit a disc brake to that side?

Also, I'm looking for a replacement for the broken bit (top of the mount), as you can probably see by my recent posting!

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
Re: Axle mount (RHS)
« Reply #1 on: 05, November, 2010 - 12:10:51 »
after seeing your post, i had a closer look at the mounts, and tbh they look much like the big end and crank case bearing casings found in many engines.

perhaps a peruse around an engine re conditioners might turn up trumps  8).

Alan

Offline techytype

« Reply #2 on: 08, December, 2010 - 13:32:23 »
did you ever get a new plastic bearing case for the one you broke?

Alan

aladds

« Reply #3 on: 08, December, 2010 - 21:34:30 »
Yeah I did, Karl sorted me out with one which is just the job. I've also flattened a section of copper pipe, bent it to the shape of the contour of the upper bracket and drilled a couple of holes so it can be bolted in place. That makes it have 4 metal sides, rather than three metal and one plastic, so *hopefully* it won't break again...

Offline techytype

« Reply #4 on: 08, December, 2010 - 21:59:58 »
Good news, just I wondered how you got on

Think Karl should be awarded an OBE
(Order of the Battery Elite)

:).

Alan