News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: Slow running MAC Powerbook G4 Pre Pentium 2 processor ARGGGGHHHH!  (Read 7309 times)

Karl

Re: Slow running MAC Powerbook G4 Pre Pentium 2 processor ARGGGGHHHH!
« Reply #15 on: 02, January, 2012 - 09:26:36 »
yep - what frank says  ;D :D ;)

.....as a complete technophobe I wish I even knew what you were talking about !

Offline frankev

• Battery level: 0
  • One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #16 on: 02, January, 2012 - 13:23:24 »
As an extra reply I could add. This Macbook is so beautiful and, as Copendriver stated, so ahead of its time, (like a Sinclair C5) be very careful with it. It's a gem.
The 1,67 Ghz processor is a really fast one. And the 17 inch monitor on a laptop. Great.
The only thing that could go wrong on a macbook like yours is that the battery gets emptied faster as in the beginning.

Greetz

Frank

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #17 on: 02, January, 2012 - 22:59:35 »
I've got an old G4 - It's so bashed and damaged you wouldn't believe. No longer has a battery, airport card and the casing is falling apart but still runs pretty well. It's my GFs now. A friend once had one that was even worse  - had to plug it in to the tv because it had no screen!

Plenty of RAM and leave the old OS and you'll be fine for years.

However I have a new Unibody one now that is my pride and joy!.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #18 on: 18, April, 2012 - 17:58:01 »
I have quite a few macs G3 G4 G5 and the latest intel offerings.  I'm going to have to be the bad boy here and advise you to chuck it, better to upgrade sooner than later, the Power PC area has long finished and apple no longer support any PPC programs having removed Rosetta from OS X.

Even my G5 Power Mac, the quad core 2.5 Ghz with liquid cooling won't out run a late 2009 intel mac mini.  I bet (correct me if I'm wrong) it struggles to play videos on youtube ?

If you really need to keep it, like the others said a bit more ram, and a reinstall of the OS that shipped with it is the best option.  On a side note who's trying Mountain Lion ?

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #19 on: 18, April, 2012 - 18:04:30 »
I recently bought a Dell Mini 10v and put osx 10.6.7 on it

Wasnt as straight forward as just bunging the disc in, but wow, what a little machine! Runs way better on osx than windows or linux ever did!

As far as Macbooks go, the new airs are just lovely.

Offline frankev

• Battery level: 0
  • One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #20 on: 18, April, 2012 - 18:28:21 »
I have 10.7.3 installed. Works nice for me, but had a little trouble with the altered ownership-rules as well as the changed drivers you need. I do have some great scanners but I can't use them no more since the scanner manufacturer does not suply new drivers. As far as I know there is only a beta version from mountain lion out this far. My advise, wait a little while till it is well tested. (it looks nice, makes interacting with social media, smart phones etc easier, (I-Cloud))
But hey, I try to stay away from these "WTF" applications so I will see what it brings more, before I switch over.
(WTF is short for WhatsApp, Twitter and Facebook  ::) )

greetz

Frank