News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Slipping Drive Belt  (Read 8113 times)

jordan02

Slipping Drive Belt
« on: 10, August, 2011 - 19:48:26 »
Hi, ever since I bought my C5 in February, it has had problems with the drive belt. Before, I had to pedal up to a fast walking speed and then turn on the motor, otherwise it would slip. Recently however, it has got VERY bad, so I decided to buy a replacement. The new belt seems to slip even more than the old one. I tried putting pieces of card under the motor to increase the tension, but this hardly improved it. Please can anyone recommend anything that I need to do to sort this problem out?
Thanks
Jordan :)

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
Re: Slipping Drive Belt
« Reply #1 on: 10, August, 2011 - 20:01:40 »
Hi Jordan two things that mainly cause this problem.
1) http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1181.0
2) The motor with its housing is oliptical in its shape, have you tried turning it around by upto 90 deg. to tension the belt.
Hope this helps
Lance

jordan02

« Reply #2 on: 10, August, 2011 - 20:34:09 »
Thanks Lance, rotating the motor has definitely improved the tension, but it is still slipping very badly so I am going to see if I can find some cable ties
« Last Edit: 10, August, 2011 - 21:56:07 by jordan02 »

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #3 on: 11, August, 2011 - 07:41:37 »
Hi there Jordan what condition are the teeth in ..Any chance of some photos ...Bye Chas

jordan02

« Reply #4 on: 11, August, 2011 - 15:17:26 »
Some pictures:  :)
« Last Edit: 11, August, 2011 - 15:34:06 by jordan02 »

jordan02

« Reply #5 on: 11, August, 2011 - 15:19:14 »
« Last Edit: 11, August, 2011 - 15:29:04 by jordan02 »

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #6 on: 11, August, 2011 - 16:02:12 »
Hi Jordan,

The first things I can see is that the gearbox (cream - later model) and the cog is an 18mm wide version which is good. The bad thing is that the wheel drive cog looks like it could do with replacing. It may be the angle of the photo but do the two cogs line up as the spacers may be in the incorrect position.

Lance

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #7 on: 11, August, 2011 - 17:03:06 »
Doesn't look like the gear box is sitting on the plastic shelf, looks like its down behind it, that looks like the problem ...  :-\

jordan02

« Reply #8 on: 12, August, 2011 - 12:11:12 »
I have just had a look and the cogs appear to line up... Please could you tell me where the plastic shelf is? ???
« Last Edit: 12, August, 2011 - 12:17:37 by jordan02 »

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #9 on: 12, August, 2011 - 15:58:19 »
Hi

Dont know if thats the tech term for it  ???, its where the arrow is pointing, as much of the edge of the gearbox as possible needs to be resting on there, the cable tie will pull that under the gear box when pulled tight. and stop it slipping off.

Hope this makes sense...

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 12, August, 2011 - 16:23:09 »

jordan02

« Reply #11 on: 12, August, 2011 - 20:00:57 »
Thanks... I just fitted the cable tie, it has helped, but I am still having to pedal up to a fair speed downhill to stop the drive belt slipping  ???    >:(

Karl

« Reply #12 on: 12, August, 2011 - 21:13:44 »
Thanks... I just fitted the cable tie, it has helped, but I am still having to pedal up to a fair speed downhill to stop the drive belt slipping  ???    >:(

..not having a dig, but it can only really be one of two things : either the drive belt is worn out (from all the previous slipping) or it hasn't been set up correctly. Start with the motor rotated so that the heat sensor is at the lowest point and make sure you have a new belt with the correct tension. Be sure that you have that "wall" pulled back under the edge of the gearbox.  There isn't much else it can be.

Karl

« Reply #13 on: 13, August, 2011 - 06:37:41 »
..I've just had a thought - are both the rubber bungs in place that sit between the body shell and the Y shape of the metal chassis ? Oddly enough I have seen that cause some problems with the drive belt tension ,maybe because when they're missing the chassis legs flex too much ?

jordan02

« Reply #14 on: 15, August, 2011 - 21:06:25 »
Both rubber bungs are in place, and I rotated and tightened the motor some more, and it has improved the tension a lot. I no longer have to pedal up to a running speed anymore; I now only have to pedal up to a fast walking pace. Is this normal, I.e. Do you have to get it moving first?