News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Charity run advice  (Read 2207 times)

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
Charity run advice
« on: 28, September, 2011 - 18:47:47 »
HI Guys

Been roped in to a fund raising challenge for Sue Ryder a great charity that provide long-term care and support for people living with cancer, multiple sclerosis, Huntington's disease, Parkinson's disease, motor neurone disease, stroke, brain injury and other life-changing illnesses... And their families.

One idea we've had is to do a charity run in the C5 and see how far I can get or plan an extensive route.

I'm sure we're no the first to think of this so I was wondering if any of you had any ideas or attempted such a thing already.

Some things I've identified already...
  • Need a route that's fairly flat (hard around Bristol)
  • Need support car with a stock of charged batteries (and some kind company to lend them)
  • Back up parts (tyres or whole wheels, bearings, spare chain and drive belt)
  • perhaps a whole back up C5 (any offers?)
  • Some kind of padding or cusion!

How far do you think I could get?
Any advice greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: 28, September, 2011 - 18:56:36 by thedesigntailor »

Karl

Re: Charity run advice
« Reply #1 on: 28, September, 2011 - 19:05:48 »
Back in 2007 we managed 63 miles in a day...

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=384.0

..it all depends on how much support you have and how much money you want to throw at it. 8)

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #2 on: 28, September, 2011 - 20:11:17 »
Wow - 63 miles is impressive!

I was going to aim at about 40 but maybe I should go all out and set a target of 80 seeing as one of those guys was over 60 and had a heart condition. I'm no athlete but will spend at least a month training.

Money wise, I can throw some at it but would beg borrow and steal as much as possible. For instance I would ask for battery donations from a local company (I know a few). I was wondering if I might be able to ask you and Chaz to sell me spares in the knowledge that I will return any unused bits.

I'm thinking a spare C5 is 100% necessary.

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #3 on: 29, September, 2011 - 20:59:22 »
Anyone know what the longest distance done in a day is? I know the length of the country has been done or at least attempted but that's over a period of time.

Managed to do about 20 miles today without pushing it too hard. Biggest worry is reliability as mine in pretty original and I don't want to ruin the poor thing. However I think it will be realistically possible to do bristol to bath and back 4 times in one day which would be just over 100 miles - I could try and push it to 5 round trips which would be 130.

If the longest distance in 24 hours isn't crazy I might try and make a world record out of it.

The target figure for our fund raising is £6k which would be unlikely to achieve from just this but something like a record attempt would certainly help.

Offline vanpeebles

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #4 on: 29, September, 2011 - 21:07:00 »
How about like a 24 hour Le Mans style event, off the roads somewhere? A few teams and riders changing over after so many hours.

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #5 on: 29, September, 2011 - 23:28:14 »
I think the biggest problem there is the weakest link in the chain is the C5s

I could more do with the opposite, a chain of C5s!  :D TBH I think I could manage with one back up and someone with good knowledge.

The Bristol to Bath cycle path is pretty flat (as far as I've been anyway) so hopefully that will take the pressure off the vehicle. That's why I'm thinking that it would be a good way of doing it. No traffic, fairly flat, couple of drinking fountains on the way, beautiful scenery.