News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: Insurance for Sinclair C5 in the Netherlands.  (Read 3868 times)

Offline frankev

• Battery level: 0
  • One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
Insurance for Sinclair C5 in the Netherlands.
« on: 24, February, 2012 - 20:31:36 »
Although not many Dutch police men are aware off it, driving a original C5 without a so-called PAM device in the Netherlands is only legal with an insurance-plate. The PAM device allows the engine to run, only during pedaling. This makes it officially a pedelac, hence insurance free.
An E-Bike, a bike where you have the choice, to pedal or drive electric up to max 25 km's is permitted only with a insurance plate.
Since I use my C5 on a daily basis, i tried to get it insured. As a E-bike, as a Pedelac. I failed miserably. No insurance-company knows the Sinclair as a bike, nor as an electric vehicle since it was never officially declared roadlegal in the Netherlands by the RDW. Now I insured my C5 as a scoot-mobile at the ANWB. I found no problem what so ever to get it insured. You have to give the serial number of your Sinclair and that's it.

Knowing this is quite a issue for some off the Dutch riders I thought I share this with you.

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
Re: Insurance for Sinclair C5 in the Netherlands.
« Reply #1 on: 27, February, 2012 - 17:41:54 »
I've seen a few C5s with the insurance plate on photos - are they old ones?

Offline frankev

« Reply #2 on: 28, February, 2012 - 08:39:36 »
In the "old days". Some members of the Sinclair C5 Club Nederland tried and succeeded to insure their Sinclair C5.
When they had a meeting there always was a discussion, leave the insurance plates on the insured C5's, hereby pulling the attention of the police to all the other C5's involved, that did not have such a plate. So often, on a meeting, they decided to drive without the insurance plates.
Frankly, I think that an extra insurance for the Sinclair is unnecessary, the speed and power involved in a original C5 is so minimal that your normal W.A. insurance would be good enough.
Most people that took an insurance on their Sinclair did this only to be left alone in traffic and knowing that no policeman can find a reason to get you off the road.

greetz

Frank

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 28, February, 2012 - 13:28:27 »
..that explains the number plate on the c5 I sold to minidaz  ;)
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1850.msg14592.html#msg14592

rafarestaura

« Reply #4 on: 28, February, 2012 - 17:41:51 »
When I ride on bike, (C5, bike, tandem, etc) I´m covered by a extension of my car insurance, I pay 70 euros more a year, about 84 pounds, and isn´t exclusive for one bike, the insurance cover any bike I run and cover all the people run with me, for example my sons in the trailer or the second people in the tandem, that´s good for me  :D. Does  that model of insurance exist in your countries?

Regards, Rafael

Offline minidaz

• Battery level: 6
« Reply #5 on: 28, February, 2012 - 19:17:20 »
It's nice to know that there is a reason for the plate on my C5  :)
And if i ever decide to take it to the Netherlands, i'll make sure to leave it on  ... not that i'm planning on taking it off  ;D

Offline frankev

« Reply #6 on: 29, February, 2012 - 08:13:14 »
Hi Minidaz,

Sorry man, your insurance plate has a certain year printed on it. This means, the plate was only valid in that year. (we get a new plate every year)
If I can read it right on BooBoo's picture your plate is from 2006?
In that case, I would take it off if you come over-here. Even if a policeman does not know if you need to be insured in your C5, he sure will know how a old insurance plate looks like and will stop you for that reason :o

But keep it on, this plate, it is kind of an relic on your C5, telling something about its history, etc.

By the way, your C5 looks marvelous.

greetz

Frank