News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: 2(4) C5 in Spain  (Read 7070 times)

Offline Thor069

• Battery level: 1
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
2(4) C5 in Spain
« on: 14, March, 2012 - 12:04:51 »
Hello all your guys and C5 Fans.

I will presented myself a little, thanks to Rafael for his first words.
My name is Thorsten and I am a European how was born in Germany and live in Spain(near Valencia).
I even had had interests in technical thing and in Trikes or Velomoblies, but never have had the time and Money to make my own experiences.
I am also a model list of RC-boats in this moment sailing boat of Micro Magic and FOOTY, look:
http://youtu.be/Urjl4KIO4Gs
So I have taken the change to buy a used Sinclair C5 by second hand and I hope I can get it started and renovated with your help.
My idea is to took the C5 for the daily way to work (4 times of about 4km in flat terrain :- )
Here I put you photos form the stat when I have got the C5.

In this moment the C5 don’t work, after loading batteries (there was very empty)  I have made the test to put the 12V directly and the motor goes, but over the normal way with the micro  switches not, so I will dismount the cassis to clean them and to look up to the connections and cables.

Like you can see this C5 is not normal, original they have made changes while this one was driven in the city in Berlin.

Have anyone a good video or manual how to dismount the cassis, without bracken anything?

Beat regards.

Thorsten
« Last Edit: 14, March, 2012 - 16:54:23 by Thor069 »

rafarestaura

Re: 2(4) C5 in Spain
« Reply #1 on: 14, March, 2012 - 12:30:14 »
Hello all your guys and C5 Fans.

I will presented myself a little, thanks to Rafael for his first words.
My name is Thorsten and I am a European how was born in Germany and live in Spain(near Valencia).
I even had had interests in technical thing and in Trikes or Velomoblies, but never have had the time and Money to make my own experiences.
I am also a model list of RC-boats in this moment sailing boat of Micro Magic and FOOTY, look:
http://youtu.be/Urjl4KIO4Gs
So I have taken the change to buy a used Sinclair C5 by second hand and I hope I can get it started and renovated with your help.
My idea is to took the C5 for the daily way to work (4 times of about 4km in flat terrain :- )
Here I put you photos form the stat when I have got the C5.

In this moment the C5 don’t work, after loading batteries (there was very empty)  I have made the test to put the 12V directly and the motor goes, but over the normal way with the micro  switches not, so I will dismount the cassis to clean them and to look up to the connections and cables.

Like you can see this C5 is not normal, original they have made changes while this one was driven in the city in Berlin.

Have anyone a good video or manual how to dismount the cassis, without bracken anything?

Beat regards.

Thorsten

Ok, here you are  ;D ;D, at last you write in English better than me  ;), welcome friend

Regards, Rafael

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 14, March, 2012 - 16:49:28 »
Hi Thor and welcome to the wonderful world of the Sinclair c5 and c5alive.

I'll see if I can find the link to an excellent video that Chas made that may help, in the meantime there is alot of useful help in the c5martin section;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,11.0.html

..plus the gearbox removal advice;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1217.0.html

..and some motor dismantling help;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,368.0.html
« Last Edit: 14, March, 2012 - 17:06:02 by BooBoo »

Offline Thor069

« Reply #3 on: 14, March, 2012 - 17:06:50 »
Hello BooBoo,

Thank you for the link, there are a few cabels to disconected so i think, i  will first try to search the fold of the no-motor funtion with the chasiss.

Is there a typical "thing" that normely faild like the Switch or any thing in the control-Box?

Best regards.

Thorsten

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #4 on: 14, March, 2012 - 17:11:16 »

Is there a typical "thing" that normely faild like the Switch or any thing in the control-Box?

Does the POD light up? Do you get any relays clicking when pressing the 'GO' button?

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 14, March, 2012 - 17:14:08 »
..some more restoration help, includes link to the Chas video clip;

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,507.0.html

If you need some parts email me a list of what you need. I may have a few bits left over from my own restoration projects.

For an idea of what goes wrong take a look through the c5 help section.

Offline Thor069

« Reply #6 on: 14, March, 2012 - 17:30:28 »
Hello and sorry for the purr information that i have gave.

After charging the battery yes the POD have lights (all on) and my external lights are going.

I have through that the battery don’t can give enough Power for the motor but for the system that need less power yes its enough.
BUT putting the same battery directly to the motor minus and plus the Motor yes "works".
So I think it must be the fold in the circuit of the Power-Motor control, I don’t know if in the cables or in the Control-box, the 2 fuse in the Box a right (0,2 OHM).
So before i will look each cable i thought maybe there are a typical "folds", also maybe there are the Temperature sensor broken?

Best regards an thank you very much for your help and if you need Photo i can make them.

Here the mirror:

and the Color-Sprays:

Thorsten

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 14, March, 2012 - 21:02:24 »
That Pod isnt happy...the left hand set of lights shouldn't all light up like that . The right hand side of the display is like a fuel gauge to show how much battery power is available, and the left hand side of the display is a load meter to show how much strain you're placing on the motor. It should show a sequence of red, amber, green lights according to how hard you're working the motor.

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #8 on: 14, March, 2012 - 21:11:36 »
Yup, that POD doesn't look right, it should look like in the photo below;

and function like in this video;

Edited to add better picture of POD
« Last Edit: 14, March, 2012 - 21:17:48 by kamilb1998 »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #9 on: 15, March, 2012 - 08:27:19 »
Hi Thorsten - Your pod as the guy's say is looking suspect - the fault could however be due to the control box or the wire loom that connects the two - Firstly when all the lights are displayed (and no go button pressed) wiggle the red wiring loom to see if the motor load goes out - secondly if that fails : If you are able to solder and exchange components I would check 1. the opp amp IC2 and the two transistors - tr1 and tr2 in the control box - hopefully this will sort it - Regards Marty

Opp amp = LM358N
TR1 = BC212L
TR2 = BC182L

Offline Thor069

« Reply #10 on: 15, March, 2012 - 15:31:15 »
Hello to ALL.

So there gives news.

First the Sinclair c5 goes.

The problem was that I don’t have press good this MIRCO-SWITCH and yesterday without the rubber-protection it function .

Bad thing was that I have a noise like that the gear pinion don’t works well, so I have use my diner-Break of today to dismount the whell and change the drive belt and in this  action i have clean and put new lubrication.
Looking on the axis it seams that the axis is a littel coored  :(.
I will have a eye to this noise.

Also I have connected a Voltage Instrument to see my battery voltage.

Tomorrow I through to make my first trip, is there any problem that the POD are not working well?

On the weekend I will clean all the C5 and look to make a reforce of the front-Panel where I also will put more Instruments.
I hope to get soon my new tires and so I think I have a good basis to make my first experiences with the day-Working off the C5.

Thank you for all the help. Cheers.

Thorsten

Offline Thor069

« Reply #11 on: 26, March, 2012 - 08:44:55 »
Hello All,

So now I have made the test with my car-battery off (50Ah and 500A max load) the battery don’t was very full and is 4 years old but with the voltage off 12,4V it was possible to go up to 20km/h and the voltage doesn’t drop down to less than 10,8V, with the battery’s that’s comes to me the voltage goes down to 9V.
So it seems that I need a new battery, are there a special type or model that you have good experience with.
I saw that the battery of about 40-50 Ah have a good pieces.

Best regards.

Thorsten

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #12 on: 26, March, 2012 - 08:52:44 »
Hi there Most of us use a Leisure Battery of about 75/85 amp hour . Unless you are using the original key switch. bye Chas

Offline Thor069

« Reply #13 on: 26, March, 2012 - 16:52:19 »
Hello.

I am thinking of buying 2 batteries of about each 40-50Ah so i can have for long trips the 80Ah and in the future I can make a 24V system.

Is there any value that I must have to be know when buying the batteries?

Best regards.

Thorsten

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #14 on: 26, March, 2012 - 20:04:17 »
Hi there .If you can buy leisure Batteries you will find that are a lot  better than ordinary car batteries ..