News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: 24V conversions  (Read 4256 times)

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
24V conversions
« on: 23, April, 2012 - 20:02:49 »
I am considering one of these but have a few questions;

Would it be possible to build one in which I can switch between 12V & 24V, or is it simply a case of disconnecting one of the batteries?

I believe that the easiest way would be to get a 24V controller like this one, but has anyone, except from Adam Harper, successfully built a 24V conversion in which the POD worked?

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
Re: 24V conversions
« Reply #1 on: 23, April, 2012 - 20:52:59 »
Don't get the cheap modules they don't work. They only have a limited current rating approx 20Amp were the C5 is rated at 29Amp and it actually peaks at approx 50Amp. The cheap controllers go BANG............................

The one to go for is the Uni8 24v it allows a peak current of 80Amp. Yes a bit expensive compared. £130 for controller, throttle and case.

The Adam Harper 24v conversion from the other month, I spoke to the guy that sold it. The C5 had 2 switches. in 12v mode it worked like a normal standard C5. In 24v mode you had to be running firstly in 12v then the other switch engaged some relays which shut off the POD display and just gave the motor 24v (Like a boost button).

I would of like to have had a good look how it was done.

Lance

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #2 on: 23, April, 2012 - 20:55:25 »
Hi there take a look at an Adam Harper 24volt gearbox conversion ...on the site ...

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1261.0
« Last Edit: 23, April, 2012 - 21:01:34 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #3 on: 23, April, 2012 - 21:01:49 »

The Adam Harper 24v conversion from the other month, I spoke to the guy that sold it. The C5 had 2 switches. in 12v mode it worked like a normal standard C5. In 24v mode you had to be running firstly in 12v then the other switch engaged some relays which shut off the POD display and just gave the motor 24v (Like a boost button).

That's the sort of thing I would like on mine, if possible.

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #4 on: 23, April, 2012 - 21:22:07 »
I've been having a look at these Uni-8 24V controllers, I could possibly have a switch to change from 12V through the control box to 24V through the controller somehow? I will speak to Dad later, he used to be a qualified electrician so should know if my idea is realistic or not   ;)

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #5 on: 23, April, 2012 - 22:15:09 »
I think the best thing to do would be to get another C5 to convert to permanently run on 24V. If anyone finds a cheap C5 without a POD or control box please let me know.

Offline steve_1360

• Battery level: 2
« Reply #6 on: 23, April, 2012 - 22:21:48 »
I had designed a little circuit to allow a 12 then 24v operation which i was going to use at aer (cannot go this year  :'( ). Very simple circuit using 2 70A relays and two switches. I had planed on disconnecting all the other electronics and just putting this in temp. I think you could just add another relay to the circuit so that in 24v mode it killed the power to the control box & the thus the pod. If anyone interested i'll copy it from the back of the fag packet i did it on  ;)

I just trying to think if you just added a switched battery in series to the motor which would make 24v to the motor only, then would the pod need disabling as it should only have 12v going to it. Need to think about that a bit.

I was a bit concerned about the gearbox after seeing the photos before so was only going to engage when already flat out in 12V.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #7 on: 24, April, 2012 - 08:32:32 »
well this is what I think As we all know that the motor/gearbox was designed to run on 12volt and by running it on 24 volt at speed all the time will damage the motor/gearbox ..But by using the Uni 8 Controller you can run the C5 at a lower speed until you need the extra speed then use the controller to build it up ...But The Adam Harper method what you do is to run it up to 12/13 mph on 12 volt then flick a switch and immediately get 24 volt on the motor/gearbox witch is a great strain to the motor ,Where as using the Uni 8 you can build up the speed gradually and much less strain on the motor/gear box ....But at the end of the day it was not  made to run on 24 volt but it depends on the user ...(After all they where made 25/26 years ago )

Please note this is only what I think and what ever method you use good luck . Bye Chas

Offline Lancealot

« Reply #8 on: 24, April, 2012 - 19:38:12 »
I am with Chas which is why I am going to the extent of using the Uni 8. I am looking at the using my circuit that I designed for the battery and current monitoring with the use of a current transducer. I will then have a circuit board in the POD that uses the same LEDS as before but with a slight different function. Will not be ready until the summer as saving up for some works to be done.

Lance

Karl

« Reply #9 on: 24, April, 2012 - 19:41:13 »
I am with Chas which is why I am going to the extent of using the Uni 8. I am looking at the using my circuit that I designed for the battery and current monitoring with the use of a current transducer. I will then have a circuit board in the POD that uses the same LEDS as before but with a slight different function. Will not be ready until the summer as saving up for some works to be done.

Lance

Lance - if I understand correctly , are you developing a 24v pod ? If so, I could spare a couple of dead 12v pods for you to play with. I quite fancy one for "Voodoo" if you can get a couple up and running  :) Let me know if I can help at all.

Offline Lancealot

« Reply #10 on: 24, April, 2012 - 19:59:52 »
Yes a 24v POD. Similar to the one POD11 guy did off the back of my circuit but doubling the circuit so that the current transducer convers current to a 0-10v signal that then can be used as per my circuit diagram. The only issue is that Current transducers can be expensive. I am trying to source a cheep one.

Lance

marra

« Reply #11 on: 24, April, 2012 - 20:09:11 »
Yes a 24v POD. Similar to the one POD11 guy did off the back of my circuit but doubling the circuit so that the current transducer convers current to a 0-10v signal that then can be used as per my circuit diagram. The only issue is that Current transducers can be expensive. I am trying to source a cheep one.

Lance

If you do these or convert to sell, can I have one. thanks

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #12 on: 24, April, 2012 - 20:09:32 »
Only two of these ever got produced  :(

JOHN  :(
« Last Edit: 24, April, 2012 - 21:49:54 by PLOD11 »