News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Handle bar stem removal  (Read 12989 times)

c5martin

Handle bar stem removal
« on: 21, September, 2008 - 21:45:36 »
Undo Bolt on top of handlebars - dont undo entirely (if it does come off entirely re-attach with a couple of turns)
Take a non marking rubber hammer and tap on the stem to release the conical wedge
Undo Stem bolt fully
Retract Stem bolt
Collect Conical wedge from floor under the body

If it wont budge - lay C5 on its side - attach the stem bolt to wedge from the underside and screw in stem and then use stem to pull the wedge out.

Remove handlebar from C5 by pulling whilst twisting from above.

Karl

Re: Handle bar stem removal
« Reply #1 on: 23, August, 2009 - 15:08:15 »
In addition, check this link for the "hold and twist" method - may help with stubborn stems  ;D

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=626.0

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 26, June, 2010 - 15:12:46 »
Note: ensure all the bolts and fittings are removed as in c5martins first post BEFORE trying this !  This is in addition to Martins advice and assumes you have already completed those steps..

Some times the "hold and twist" method will not work, if the handle bar stem is seized then you may end up damaging the steering rod plate at the bottom.

When more brute force is required, I find this method works;

I use two socket set extension bars as a "drift" to hammer out the handle bar stem from underneath.   

It's easier to do this if you place the c5 upside down - a "Black & Decker" workmate is ideal .

Having tried other methods with varying levels of success I find this way has worked without causing any chassis damage or any other snags on four handlebar stems so far - including a couple that were really rusted in. It's my preferred method for now until I discover an easier way  ;D

« Last Edit: 14, March, 2012 - 16:51:37 by BooBoo »

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #3 on: 28, June, 2010 - 11:16:51 »
For stubborn stems, why not soak the offending area overnight in Coca-Cola.?

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #4 on: 28, June, 2010 - 18:22:13 »
I like a good soaking in vodka :)

TRminator

« Reply #5 on: 26, September, 2010 - 00:39:05 »
I'm struggling with this one lads.  I'm quite simply confused and need further help. 

C5MARTIN - you seem to describe attaching the stem bolt and pulling the threaded piece in the steering bearing carrier out from under the vehicle in the following excerpt from your post:-

"If it wont budge - lay C5 on its side - attach the stem bolt to wedge from the underside and screw in stem and then use stem to pull the wedge out."

But BooBoo' pics on the other hand seem to depict that same threaded item being driven up the way.  I've tried using the extensions and hammering up the way from underneath, but nothing budged and because of C5MARTINS piece quoted above I was reluctant to do so with much force in case I'd gotten the wrong end of the stick.

Sorry to be an idiot.
-Kyle

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #6 on: 26, September, 2010 - 04:46:32 »
Hi Kyle - C5Martin is reffering to a threaded nut that the stem bolt locates into which has to drop down and be removed before you can attept to place something inside to remove the stem upwards as Boo Boo is describing.Hope that makes sense  :D

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 26, September, 2010 - 20:55:10 »
In my piccies the c5 is upside down sitting on a black and decker workmate - so you are hammering the handlebar stem from the underside so to speak  :)

TRminator

« Reply #8 on: 28, September, 2010 - 16:38:33 »
Ah!  That coppery "ting" sound you are doubtless hearing is the penny dropping with me!

There's a stem bolt complete with wedged threaded thingy on eBay at the moment and from reading your reply radiomarty and looking at the pic I now see what I have to do.  Unfortunately I've been hammering the wedge deeper into the recess, so I could have a battle on my hands!

Cheers lads.
-Kyle

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #9 on: 28, September, 2010 - 17:14:29 »
Theres is another way I sometimes use ...Is to cut the top off and hammer the bar  down from the top ...
the only thing when you get it out it will have to be welded back on ..The thing is if you don't get it out you are then in trouble .....the reason I use this way is that  where the taped bolt fits underneath goes on does not get damaged and you are not trying to push it all the way back ...(ps it does not always work )  bye Chas

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 28, September, 2010 - 17:38:09 »
Ah!  That coppery "ting" sound you are doubtless hearing is the penny dropping with me!

There's a stem bolt complete with wedged threaded thingy on eBay at the moment and from reading your reply radiomarty and looking at the pic I now see what I have to do.  Unfortunately I've been hammering the wedge deeper into the recess, so I could have a battle on my hands!

Cheers lads.
-Kyle

...oops, I guess I assumed you realised that the piccies are a follow on to c5martins advice and that his initial steps need to be followed first ,i.e. remove all the relevant components before grabbing the hammer  ;) 

TRminator

« Reply #11 on: 29, September, 2010 - 13:02:44 »
 :D To be honest BooBoo, if it wasn't for the minor point of not knowing that the tapered threaded thingy needs dropped out through the bottom before doing what you show in the photographs, your post would have been a big help.  In fact, the similar series of shots you did for removing the pedal crank and bracket were a massive help to me, so keep up the good work.

cheers fellas.
-Kyle