News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: I´ve just ending the works on my UMM Alter II 2.5 TDI  (Read 8970 times)

rafarestaura

I´ve just ending the works on my UMM Alter II 2.5 TDI
« on: 06, June, 2012 - 22:09:16 »
Hi all, I haven´t wroten much comments this last weeks as I have a lot of work but I can say you I´ve ending the works of mechanical reconstruction of my 4x4 truck, a very rare UMM Alter II Turbo. This is a very rare off road truck. From an original french desing, in the last eighties of XX century UMM was created in Portugal as a military vehicles designer and builder. But, since 1992 to 1996, sell their vehicles to the civilians, so a few distributors sell the UMM Alter I and later the Alter II. I know a few ones arrived to England, near 400 trucks and I have an special unit with an enormeous intercooler and other improvements, eight shock absorbers, six seats, safety roll bar, etc, and almost 140 Hp of engine power. The truck have Jeep CJ7 axis, Peugeot turbodiesel engine and the electric sistem is a mixture of Peugeot and Renault parts. Only 10.000 units were made of this model (almost like the C5  ;) ) and I have the 2.201 of that ( the cars are numbered). After run almost 200.000 miles with it the engine says no more in a mountain race  :( so I decided to rebuilt it enterely, engine, turbo, pumps, transmision etc. After more than two years last week I´ve ended to repair the transfer box of the transmision and I have about 400 miles in the new engine. The paint and interiors are still a little bit scuffy but when I end this weekend the cleaning of the fuel lines and tank I´ll paint the roof and the bonnet and refurbish the carpets, so the truck will be almost new.

I still have no piccies of the actual view of the truck, I promise to do next week and post them but here you are a picture of a truck race six years ago

Many people say this truck is ugly but you can´t find a better mountain and desert runner, never let me down in sand, puddles, rocks or snow, never, and tow anything, boats, caravans and any heavy load you can imagine, it´s the more reliable and sure machine I´ve ever had and I´ve had a lot  8). I hope it will be ready for my beach holidays next 1st of July, towing my trailer with the bikes and the three C5d  ;D ;D ;D

Regards to all, Rafael

Karl

Re: I´ve just ending the works on my UMM Alter II 2.5 TDI
« Reply #1 on: 08, June, 2012 - 21:09:59 »

Good job there mate , looks fantastic  8)

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #2 on: 09, June, 2012 - 08:52:44 »
I wounder if they used the land rover as a starting block and just improved / changed it.

Looks good though..............................

Lance

rafarestaura

« Reply #3 on: 09, June, 2012 - 17:31:33 »
I wounder if they used the land rover as a starting block and just improved / changed it.

Looks good though..............................

Lance

Well Lance, I think they arrive to a similar place in the design using different ways, here you are a english link to know more about this 4x4 truck:

http://www.difflock.com/buyersguide/pastmasters/umm/index.shtml

Here also you are a picture of a british RHD UMM of the UMM Owners club on an event in Cannock Chase last January,

Here you are the link of the british UMM club if you want to know more about them:

http://ummclub.multiply.com/?&show_interstitial=1&u=

I´m now cleaning the fuel lines and diesel tank because the diesel I had (at least half tank) is corrupted and the diesel filter is getting dirty so the best solution is drain the tank and clean tank and fuel lines, I think tomorrow everything is allright and I can begin the paint work next sunday

More news and piccies soon, thanks for the comments.

Regards, Rafael
« Last Edit: 09, June, 2012 - 18:00:41 by rafarestaura »