News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: How Much Should I Pay for a Sinclair C5?  (Read 20603 times)

c5martin

How Much Should I Pay for a Sinclair C5?
« on: 27, September, 2008 - 21:34:02 »
How Much Should I Pay for a Sinclair C5?

What is my Sinclair C5 Worth?

Can I use any 12v battery without damaging my Sinclair C5.                                                 
Any 12v battery 100% yes providing it is of sufficient capacity to supply the high current needed by the motor.

What should I lookout for when buying a Sinclair c5.

1.       What type of motor? The early motors had brown fingers that hold gearbox in place. The fingering becomes very brittle and will disintegrate making it impossible to remove gearbox for greasing. The only way to grease gearbox on this type of motor is to dismantle it and grease through hole left after removing armature. Later Motor has creamy end which remains flexible. Replacement Motor if you can find one  £165

2.       Gearbox check for ware on drive cog. Replacement Gearbox £75 but are very difficult to find.

3.       Front Wheel Cover if missing £70 to replace but also difficult to find.

4.       Hub Centres to replace £20 but very rare.

5.       Rust on Chassis if only surface rust can be rubbed down and painted.

6.       Pod and Control Box £130 to replace but can be repaired by myself for £47.

7.       General appearance and condition. Dirty Sinclair C5s can be cleaned with Cif Cream kitchen cleaner. Scratches are more difficult to remove but can be filled with Plastech a plastic repair system

What should I do to my Sinclair C5 that I have just purchased?

1.       Service Motor, Grease Gearbox plus all Wheel & Drive Bearings. If you need more information contact me.

2.       Replace Drive Belt and fit my Bracket to stop Motor Drive Belt Slipping. Drive Belt  £14.99 and C5MARTIN Mod Bracket £12.50 from C5ALIVE

3.       Replace all tyres and inner tubes as originals are 20years old and perished. £35 from C5ALIVE

4.       Brake cables and front brake blocks. Available from C5ALIVE or your local cycle shop.

5.       Fit Power Wiring Kit from C5ALIVE or use original system with appropriate battery with Leisure BatteryConversion Kit from C5ALIVE.   

Any of above prices are for guidance only. If you need more advice please contact me C5martin

My first Sinclair C5 was purchased on eBay for £225 but required chain tensioner, front wheel cover, new tyres and tubes. It also had early motor which had to be replaced including gearbox that disintegrated. I spent over £225 and a lot of time to get it back to a fully functional Classic Vehicle.

From the information above you should be able to decide for yourself what a Sinclair C5 is worth.

Remember a Sinclair C5 is a 20 year old Classic Vehicle and not a Go Cart.

Karl

Re: How Much Should I Pay for a Sinclair C5?
« Reply #1 on: 07, September, 2011 - 08:01:38 »
Just thought I'd add to this having had an interesting chat to a gent at one of the car shows we went to.

On being asked if I had any c5's up for sale I replied that I had a refurbished one available for £350. His reply was that he could get one on Ebay for £270.

I asked him did it have a shotblasted and repainted frame , new tyres, tubes, decals, brake cables ,brake blocks and c5alive wiring kit fitted ? Were the motor and gearbox serviced, had the wheel, pedal crank,headstock and handlebar bearings been greased ?

His reply was "no" it needed work, but it was still cheaper......

Judge for yourself  :)

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #2 on: 07, September, 2011 - 10:27:58 »
Can't say anything to that Karl.

This picture says it all

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #3 on: 07, September, 2011 - 17:00:12 »
I have had similar conversations ......    ::)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #4 on: 07, September, 2011 - 20:31:09 »
Like the queen song "I want it all, and I want it now !" but you get what you pay for in life.

Retro Andy.