News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: A C5 Refugee and Brain Picker  (Read 4647 times)

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
A C5 Refugee and Brain Picker
« on: 24, September, 2012 - 22:25:13 »
Hi one and all,

name is Karl but to avoid problems with others who have this outstanding name  :)  I'm using KarlG. I live in Ottobrunn, (home of MBB aka Daimler Aerospace now EADS), near Munich, Germany.

I own two C5s, one in running order, but somewhat rundown, and in storage for the past three years. The other was purchased from eBay, for a reasonable price, a couple of weeks ago. In the photos it looked to be in good condition with the only obvious fault being an incorrect drive wheel. Body is not bad but the electrics have been very badly butchered.

As quoted above I'm a refugee, from forums other, and a tyro brain picker. So please watch out because the questions will be pouring in. I'm always ready to help if possible, but not being an expert C5 wise this maybe pretty hard.

My best regards to you all.

KarlG.

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
Re: A C5 Refugee and Brain Picker
« Reply #1 on: 24, September, 2012 - 22:29:56 »
Welcome to the forum, always good to see new C5 owners joining.

Anything you need to know about the C5 can be found here, by searching the forum, or just asking.

A friendly bunch on here, only too willing help where we can...

John
City of Peterborough, South east of the UK.

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 25, September, 2012 - 07:46:08 »
..what an excellent name  8)

welcome to c5alive matie  ;)

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
« Reply #3 on: 25, September, 2012 - 08:29:24 »
Hi there my name is Chas ..Welcome to the site any help you need just ask ...bye
« Last Edit: 25, September, 2012 - 19:26:36 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #4 on: 25, September, 2012 - 12:17:03 »
Hi Karl and welcome to the forum. Send some photos of your C5's.

Lance

Offline KarlG

« Reply #5 on: 25, September, 2012 - 21:51:08 »
Hi all,

sorry if this post is going to bend your ears somewhat.  :)

@ Chas, good to see another member of the namesake name family.  ;)

Sorry no pics from #1, it's in storage and badly in need of restoration. This one has been convered to a three speed gear box, but will be re-converted to a seven speed box (parts are there).

If all goes well there'll be some pics of #2.

See if you can spot the deliberate mistake.  :D

Typical C5 lean on front.

The chain tentioner is held in place with a piece of foam padding and has no function. Jocky wheel will not turn, clamped too tight.

See description below.

All in all the body and chassis are in good condition. Body has been cleaned up, but has a few of the usual non-removable stains (very faint, thank goodness). Drive wheel needs to be replaced, I haven't had a chance yet to see how this converstion was carried out. No Keys.

The electrics are another story. It looks like an experienced 13 year old bodger has been at work.  :(
No instrument illumination, motor doesn't turn when directly connected to a battery.

Problems with the CB are:
Original relay ripped out.
Top of case gouged out to allow connection of external relay.
Cables to the CB not fed though the case neck, but a large part of the case side crudely removed to allow cable access.
Cable connections to relay crudely resized and clamped with pliers.
Most of the screws are missing.
Case welded with a soldering iron.

Because of my mistrust, I'll be looking for a replacement CB. (Any offers?)  :)

Due to the German, and EU, regulations I will be converting to Phil's 'pedelec' system thus avoiding registation and insurance. Even without the pedelec conversion the C5, in original condition, will not receive certification to use on the pubic highway. A twistgrip or thumb lever speed control and a motor cutout switch on all the brakes systems are manatory, motor must cut out at 25 kmh.  So it' a case of 6 or 2 threes.

If you're not asleep yet,  then it's now time to do so.  ;)

Best regards.

KarlG.

Offline KarlG

« Reply #6 on: 29, September, 2012 - 19:12:45 »
My C5 was bought less keys. So today I had some luck, I bought a boot compartment with key from eBay UK for £15. The boot arived today, it's in good nick complete with inner, clips, and an old defunkt isolation switch. The good luck part is, the boot key also fits the isolation switch cylinder, so if I decide to keep the isolation switch at least I have a key.

Offline KarlG

« Reply #7 on: 06, October, 2012 - 21:09:32 »
Hi,

a quick update.

CB removed. All diodes are open cct so I can assume that all the semi conducters are also dead, copper tack on PCB from D3 to R12 burned out,  :o R12 dead and two other resistors are suspect, relay ripped out, thermistor and thermal cut out not connected, and connector adapter for the termistor is missing. BUT, the fuses are intact.  :D All non C5 wiring removed.

New key switch fitted.

Motor showed no signs of life when connected directly to a battery. Removed and stripped the motor to find that the brushes were corroded and seized. Brushes released and cleaned up, commutator sanded, motor reassembled, and bingo, now runs fine.
Refitted the motor and connected it directly to the key switch, then using the key switch as the drive button gave the C5 it's first run in over six years.

Next job will be to check the pod (I don't hold too much hope that it's O.K.).  Then using the 'KISS principle' come up with a switching cct for LED illuminated turn indicators and hazard warning lights (not enough current being drawn to use a thermal flasher unit).

So I have enough to keep me busy for a while.

Cheers. KarlG.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
« Reply #8 on: 06, October, 2012 - 22:00:05 »
Hi there Karl the Pod can be checked by a few of us just ask ..Chas

Offline KarlG

« Reply #9 on: 17, October, 2012 - 19:00:45 »
Latest update.

Picked up a 'new old stock' motor for a nice round figure of £22  :)  from evilBay, also a new (unused) drive wheel. Unfortunately the wheel consisted of only the plastic part.  :(

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 18, October, 2012 - 11:33:34 »
Latest update.

Picked up a 'new old stock' motor for a nice round figure of £22  :)  from evilBay, also a new (unused) drive wheel. Unfortunately the wheel consisted of only the plastic part.  :(

any parts you get for a cheap price are always worthwhile  ;)

a good result on the motor  8)