News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Hello from a new owner in Basel  (Read 3943 times)

Offline baselpat

• Battery level: 6
    • My C5 Photos
Hello from a new owner in Basel
« on: 25, September, 2012 - 12:24:32 »
Hi from a new owner originally from the UK but now based in Basel (Switzerland). 
Just picked up my C5 from its previous owner and thought it time to register to the forum and introduce myself and the C5.

Externally it is currently a little tatty, but nothing a good clean should not fix.   The large front light (and large rear light) is the "conversion" to get the C5 originally road legal here, by classing it at a small moped.

The underneath is where it gets interesting.  One of the previous owners has decided to remove the entire original motor and gear box setup and replace it with a new motor and a gearbox of a type I am not familiar with – need to have a bit of a read up on the motor to see if I can learn some more.  An initial trace of the cabling shows the original control pod and electrics have been bypassed or clipped back unused.  Also the motor appears to be 24V and is confirmed with two 12V batteries wired in serial.  It also has a 7 speed derailleur gear added that helps when on pedal only power.

It runs well and fast, the previous owner used it to run in to/from the village from his hotel a little higher in the mountains. But it would seem my first test run maybe the last for a while, outside at least, as the paper work that pas provide in the sale was not enough for my local police to issue me with the required local number plate, so I have a little bit work to do there tracing down new copies of the original “registration documents” that will allow me to run the C5 legally again in Switzerland.  At least it will give me the winter to clean / fix any issues while sorting it out.  At least my house has a large shared underground parking garage to allow testing etc  ;)

All the best,

Pat

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
Re: Hello from a new owner in Basel
« Reply #1 on: 25, September, 2012 - 12:27:48 »
Hi and welcome to the forum,

There are quite a few mods there. Would like to see more photos of the various conversions especially the motor / drive wheel.

Lance

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #2 on: 25, September, 2012 - 19:09:48 »
Hi there welcome to to the forum ..Regarding the motor it looks like a Bosch 24volt ...bye Chas

• Millennium Member
« Reply #3 on: 25, September, 2012 - 19:21:13 »
Hi there just found this motor take a look at it bye Chas

http://www.stoomgroep.be/images/modelbouw/BOSCH-0130302014.pdf

Offline baselpat

• My C5 Photos
« Reply #4 on: 25, September, 2012 - 19:47:05 »
Thanks for the welcome.

I hope to "give back" / "add to" at least some of the information, that I have taken from it so far - this is truly a great resource of all things C5.

Quote from: C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER
Regarding the motor it looks like a Bosch 24volt ...
Quote from: C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER
Hi there just found this motor take a look at it bye Chas

http://www.stoomgroep.be/images/modelbouw/BOSCH-0130302014.pdf

Thanks Chas,

This sort of confirms some of my original investigating.  The enclosure of the gearbox and motor has the following label:

This, now defunct, swiss firm "Delta" used and licensed Bosch motors in their products.  I had assumed maybe however it was only 500
W owning to the type number.  I do know that it, in the C5, is fast and have managed to get just short of 40kph out of it, and I am sure with fresh batteries can go much faster as the previous owner claimed.

The gearbox arrangement is still of a type I had not seen before, but I'll post more on that in the relevant sub-forum at a later date.

Pat

« Last Edit: 25, September, 2012 - 19:50:31 by baselpat »

• Millennium Member
« Reply #5 on: 25, September, 2012 - 20:57:38 »
Hi there Pat .Regarding the wattage I dont know .I am sure that it will be a 500watt ......bye Chas

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 26, September, 2012 - 08:14:06 »
That motor does look very similar to the Bosch one fitted to Voodoo ;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,967.msg12628.html#msg12628

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #7 on: 30, September, 2012 - 08:38:43 »
Wow, looks like a very interesting C5, welcome to the forum  :)

Retro Andy.

Offline baselpat

• My C5 Photos
« Reply #8 on: 30, December, 2012 - 20:32:16 »
So, after much issues with trying to get my C5 back on the road, and a major tacking down of the original import documents and tests over an handful of swiss Government agencies , I have found out that my C5 in its current state has never been legal here in Switzerland and that a previous owner had upgraded to motors etc (as seen above) after the last offical test had been made. 

My attempts to show that the 500W motor was the one tested were found to be a waste of time as a copy of the original test should that it had been tested with the original sinclair 250W motor and my "500W" was too fast.  In attempts to see if Bosch made a 250 or 300W version of the GPA motor (for a simple motor swap, rather than rebuild) and a complete strip down of my motor / gearbox brought up an interesting fact.  My motor is not 500W
It is not even the "common" 750W version
No, it turns out, and the reason to why I now know my batteries would only last 4km for so.

I have the 1200W version. 

This also explained one of the items in police report (in one of my failed tests) as to why the top speed was recorded as just under 50KM way over the legal limits  :D :D :D

Anyway new project under way to install a modern 250W hub motor, so if anyone interested in a 1.2KW 24V motor and gearbox? I am likely to have one free in the spring.

Pat

Offline KarlG

• You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #9 on: 30, December, 2012 - 21:06:27 »
Hi Pat,

just found the answer to a question I posted under another theme.

the top speed was recorded as just under 50KM
  :o :o :o

Pity you didn't get the original registration with the C5 and miss out all of these problems, but 4 klicks per charge ain't so good. ::)
Plus you'll feel the difference when you 'upgrade'  :P  to a 250 watter.
Hope you manage to get it up and running without burning too great a hole in your pocket. I'll cross my fingers for you. 8)

Anyway new project under way to install a modern 250W hub motor
Have you got a hub motor and controller in mind? I'd be interested to know as this has been tickling my fancy for some time.

All the best in the up and coming year.

KarlG.