News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: C5 with 100 mile range, no battery, no peddling.  (Read 10578 times)

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
C5 with 100 mile range, no battery, no peddling.
« on: 17, October, 2012 - 15:33:16 »
If you check my 'Personal Text' I think you'll agree with me.  :P

I've come up with this crazy idea how to increase the range of my C5 using electric power, but not discharging the battery. All this and remaining within the EU regs.

I have a Honda GX22 (22cc) engine rated at, IIRC,  .7kW languishing in the cellar, I was going to use this in a model aircraft, but the powers to be stopped all flying at the old airfield. Now if I mounted this engine in a trailer, coupled up to a generator, and a charging controller, I could charge the battery at a higher rate than the discharge.  ::)  Even the battery could be removed, and seeing that the motor weighs a fraction of the battery weight it's a win win configuration.  8)

The idea of mounting the motor in the rear of the C5 doesn't tickle me in the least, heat, space etc, and most of the cops would assume that it's direct drive.

Just an idea, but I might just try it out one of these days.  ;)

EDIT: Sorry I cheated somewhat with the title, to meet the EU regs. you must peddle. Ever so slowly.  ;)
« Last Edit: 17, October, 2012 - 18:49:12 by KarlG »

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
Re: C5 with 100 mile range, no battery, no peddling.
« Reply #1 on: 18, October, 2012 - 09:36:48 »
The drag of the trailer won't help efficiency.Why go to all this trouble anyway? A car is so much more comfortable and safe.

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 18, October, 2012 - 11:30:22 »
coverman -  why so negative all the time mate ?  ::)

The Sinclair c5 is not the best vehicle ever created, we all know that, but it has an element of fun that certainly keeps me amused. There are cheaper and better ways of getting about , sure , but smiles per mile it is really hard to beat  ;).

I fully encourage any form of madcap or bizarre idea that improves (or even worsens !) the original design. Who cares if it works out ok or not - just give it a go and enjoy the learning curve  ;D.

ElectricDave and I have had so much fun with the c-5000 and Challenger projects we wouldnt change that for the world  :P.

I say to KarlG  "Go for it" and let us know how you get on  8)   

Offline KarlG

« Reply #3 on: 18, October, 2012 - 13:37:51 »
@coverman
Please read the first line of my post, had I found a tongue in cheek smiley I would have used it.  :)

I'm a pensioner with a somewhat meager pension, I don't have a car and have refused to use one in the last twenty years. I calculated what it cost me in upkeep, insurance, tax, etc., and came to the conclusion that a taxi or public transport was much cheaper. I don't know what the parking is like in the area that you live in, but in Munich (about the only place I used a car for) parking is very expensive that is IF you can find a parking space, and parking houses are almost totally booked out by commuters. I have a scooter, a bike, and a dog, the scooter was only used three times in the last two years. Come to think of it I don't use the dog much either.  ;D

I'll be building a lightweight trailer to cart my RC aircraft and dog (7 Kg) to the nearest flying club. I have two wheels from a wheelchair plus the half shafts, the tyres and tubes are designed for low rolling resistance and very high pressures. Yes there will be a very small loss of power, so what, I don't intend to use the motor on the flat. Plus if I ever do fit a generator, I can use it to charge my batteries, on site, for my models.  8)

I use my bike in all weathers the whole year round, this keeps me fit. The C5 is for some fun, that is when the weather is suitable, as I don't intend to sit at home and twiddle my thumbs.

Offline mhurt

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #4 on: 18, October, 2012 - 15:07:27 »
I have to say that I'm intrigued. I'd assume the proposed method would be legal in the UK, as you wouldn't be powering the C5 itself from a petrol engine, just recharging the battery.... (although, trying to explain the difference to the local plods could be a challenge).

I've never actually come close to getting low battery (I use a 76AH leisure battery), but I'd love to hear how you get on, if you do try it :)

Offline KarlG

« Reply #5 on: 18, October, 2012 - 19:07:24 »
Your terminology "explain the difference to the local plods"  made me smile. Here in Germany the cops are refered to as 'The Bulls'. Now if I had the engine mounted in the back of the C5 with a visable exhaust, wouldn't this be like waving a red flag at a bull?  ::)

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #6 on: 18, October, 2012 - 21:12:53 »
In theory, this sounds like a great idea. If it works out for you, I wouldn't mind doing something similar myself.

Roughly how big is this 22cc engine you speak of?

Offline KarlG

« Reply #7 on: 18, October, 2012 - 23:12:14 »
Honda GX22 4 stroke OHC engine.

I'm not too sure but I think the GX22/32 (22/32cc) are no longer being produced, IIRC the GX25 is the replacement. I found a company in the UK that were selling them very cheap (in the mean time price has risen) but wouldn't deliver to Germany. Take care there are many versions of this engine, the main ones are horizontal (bush trimmers etc.) and vertical (lawn mowers etc.).

As far as size is concerned I would need to dig around in the cellar to find out, but you can have an inkling if you look at 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BPix-EWVhw&feature=relmfu

While looking at the above link I found this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=0-F3Omh9Wgw&feature=endscreen

It's after midnight local time, so I'll expand on this subject tomorrow, sorry later today.  :)

Cheers.   KarlG.

EDIT: Change is marked in red. I did correct this point some time back but must have forgotten to send.  :-[
« Last Edit: 20, October, 2012 - 13:48:10 by KarlG »

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #8 on: 19, October, 2012 - 10:19:04 »
I think you will find that the vehicle would be classified as petrol-electric. It is basically how the Chevrolet Volt operates.

Offline KarlG

« Reply #9 on: 19, October, 2012 - 13:34:30 »
How can you classify a vehicle as petrol-electric if the vehicle has no petrol engine, or alternatively no electric motor?

Offline baselpat

• Battery level: 6
    • My C5 Photos
« Reply #10 on: 19, October, 2012 - 22:33:40 »
I would guess one of the main issues of how it is classed and defined as legal would be the fact it is carrying a fuel for a running engine?  That said, I would still love to see it in action even if not on a public road.....  ::)

Offline KarlG

« Reply #11 on: 19, October, 2012 - 23:23:05 »
Sorry wrong answer, the C5 is carrying no petrol, that's in the trailer.   ;) 

The C5 is an electric powered bike, the trailer is a vehicle but is not powered.

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #12 on: 20, October, 2012 - 09:53:13 »
I would guess one of the main issues of how it is classed and defined as legal would be the fact it is carrying a fuel for a running engine?  That said, I would still love to see it in action even if not on a public road.....  ::)

Surely if it's simply carrying the engine as a generator for a battery that is not connected up the the drivetrain, there shouldn't be a problem with it?

Offline KarlG

« Reply #13 on: 20, October, 2012 - 12:54:52 »
I can't think of any reason why there should be a problem, other than it would need a silencer. I couldn't find anything in the EU regs. that would ban this configuration.

If the boot's removed I would think there would be enough space for a motor and generator. But, what about the all up weight? Take the battery out?  ::)  I would like to retain the boot for occasions when the trailer is not used.

I want a trailer regardless of the M/G requirement, so why not make the M/G as a unit that can be installed or removed at will.

Offline Dave.76

• Battery level: 3
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #14 on: 20, October, 2012 - 13:27:00 »
I'm with Boo Boo on this one. I think it sounds a great Idea and worth trying :). I can't see there is much to lose as you want to make a trailer anyway. Good luck with it and keep us posted please.