News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Cimping My P5  (Read 10665 times)

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
Cimping My P5
« on: 22, October, 2012 - 15:48:09 »
Well seeing as I'm going to restore and modify my C5 I thought it might be a good idea to include this under the 'Pimping' theme.

Seeing that I'll be doing all the spraying myself and I don't have a booth or heated garage, it's going to be quite some time before the job is finished. I have a few mods in mind so at least I'll be busy over the winter months.  :)

I've almost finished stripping to C5 down, thanks to the help from Chas's YT video. Chas covered 98% of the strip-down, but 1 of the remaining 2% was concerning the removal of the POD, this has me stumped. The remaining 1% is the removal of the peddle shaft retaining components on the near side, are they also LHT or RHT. as per off side?
A last question, for the moment, can the plastic steering couplings be removed from the rod without damage?

Seeing that the parts are to be stored for some time in a garage I've stored all the small and medium sized parts in airtight containers.

Cheers till the next post.   KarlG.

Offline mhurt

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Re: Cimping My P5
« Reply #1 on: 22, October, 2012 - 17:14:44 »
For the pod, disconnect the loom from the back of the pod - hold the wires at the back and pull away from the pod firmly, and the connector should come off.
To remove the pod, just hold the pod on each end and firmly pull towards the seat. It should just slide off if you are quite firm. There are 2 plastic washers that will probably come off too (if not, just check around the lugs the pod was attached to and remove them, as they'll fall off eventually), and store them until required.

Hope that helps a bit. I haven't done the other 2 myself yet, so don't know the procedures.

Offline KarlG

« Reply #2 on: 22, October, 2012 - 20:20:32 »
Once again thanks.   :-* ;D

Cable's removed as well as the shell, but the POD's still attached to the shell.

I thought this was the way, but when I tried I was worried about breaking something if I was using the wrong procedure. I did notice that on one side the washer was missing, so I can assume that the POD's been removed at some time or other.

One thing's for sure, the POD is VERY DEAD.  :(

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
« Reply #3 on: 23, October, 2012 - 08:24:16 »
Hi there Karl just give it good pull from one side at a time ..spray a little WD40 first it should help  (make sure that the cable is off first)
...bye Chas

Offline KarlG

« Reply #4 on: 23, October, 2012 - 08:34:07 »
Hi Chas,

Thanks for the info.

How about the the peddle shaft retaining components on the near side, are they also LHT or RHT as per off side?

EDIT: OK! Problem solved, found the answer in 'TECH TIPS from C5Martin'. BUT, I would still like to know if the plastic steering couplings be removed from the rod without damage.
« Last Edit: 23, October, 2012 - 13:33:36 by KarlG »

• Millennium Member
« Reply #5 on: 23, October, 2012 - 14:27:43 »
Hi there karl the plastic cups on the rod have been molded on and will shatter if you try to remove them ..The only way is to get a rod with metal cups on they are removable ...

Offline KarlG

« Reply #6 on: 23, October, 2012 - 16:33:30 »
Hi Chas,

one again thanks for the info.

Were metal cupped rods also fitted to the C5, or is this a post mod?

• Millennium Member
« Reply #7 on: 23, October, 2012 - 17:48:06 »
There where two types made plastic and metal ....

Offline KarlG

« Reply #8 on: 23, October, 2012 - 19:49:25 »
OK olé! Many thanks.

Offline KarlG

« Reply #9 on: 23, October, 2012 - 20:42:29 »
I'm very suprised at the number of posts concerning motor heat and yet all but one of the photos I've looked at none of the motors are painted mat black.

I have a couple of 5mm wide strips of copper, so as long as my C5 is stripped I intend to use one strip to make a jacket for the motor. With the other strip I hope to be able to add fining to the jacket. I was going to fit a tube between the fan and the motor to improve the forced air ventilation, but I think it may be better to leave the tube out allowing an air flow over the fining. After the motor and gearbox have been greased I'll fit the jacket and spray the whole lot mat black.

I could even get rid of some of the heat transfer paste that's collected over the years.   :)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #10 on: 23, October, 2012 - 21:12:34 »
I have looked into fining but found the best solution appears to be forced air in an enclosed jacket - let us know how you get on - Marty

Offline KarlG

« Reply #11 on: 24, October, 2012 - 00:56:48 »
Hi Marty,

do you have any pics or drawings?

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #12 on: 24, October, 2012 - 06:37:55 »
I have a photo of an enclosed air cooled unit thst ran on 24v at Brooklands and worked well -I will try and find it

Karl

« Reply #13 on: 24, October, 2012 - 10:01:24 »
I have a photo of an enclosed air cooled unit thst ran on 24v at Brooklands and worked well -I will try and find it

..if you are thinking of "Challenger", the pictures are on this link  ;)
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,559.msg4407.html#msg4407

Offline KarlG

« Reply #14 on: 24, October, 2012 - 11:59:17 »
Wow! If that's the cooling that Marty's referring to I'll have to have a radical rethink.  ::)