5 (15.6%)
yes - even if we have to pay
25 (78.1%)
no - not interested
2 (6.3%)
no - don't want to pay
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: c5-25 : 25th Anniversary of the Sinclair C5 - new date 7th Feb 2010  (Read 78556 times)

Karl

Although still some way off, Sunday 10th January 2010 will be the 25th Anniversary of the launch of the Sinclair C5 at Alexandra Palace. 

I've explored the possibility of holding an event in one of the function rooms at the 'Palace itself. Sadly the financial exposure is a bit high for such a small set-up as C5alive, so we may have to look at some alternatives.

We could still meet at "Ally Pally" and have a photo-shoot etc outside, plus hold another meeting elsewhere later in the year. Returning to Brooklands has been suggested as an alternative.

Other suggestions,ideas etc most welcome.

Either way, with this much notice I'm sure we can think of something to make sure this momentous occassion gets the proper recognition it deserves  8)

« Last Edit: 07, January, 2010 - 15:00:17 by BooBoo »

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: c5-25 : 10th January 2010
« Reply #1 on: 09, November, 2008 - 09:14:20 »
Does anyone know how to get hold of Sir Clive himself ? i would love to meet him, as i'm sure we all would. It would be great if we could somehow and somewhere arrange the biggest meeting and you never know perhaps Sir Clive would like to see that also, afterall we all love the Sinclair C5.
I wonder if the gadet show could help in this ?

Retro Andy.

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 09, November, 2008 - 18:38:31 »
There are still a lot of discussions going on in the background regarding "C5-25". I wanted to post this thread to try and gauge the level of support for such an event and explore any other ideas people can come up with.

My preference was for a meet at "Ally Pally" on the anniversary of the actual day the C5 was launched. However, if we want to maintain our usual "zero cost" style meeting , then it would have to be an outside event - which could be cold,wet and windy ...or even dry and bright - who knows ?  But to hold the event indoors, at a venue as prestigious as the 'Palace, would cost a few pennies - which (understandably) I don't think there is much enthusiasm for.

So instead of one big expensive event , maybe several smaller & cheaper events is a better option

I'm open to suggestions, plus we have quite a bit of time to decide.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #3 on: 10, November, 2008 - 08:04:08 »
How many pennies Karl ? what ever do for this event it must be a big one, i'm sure we can spread the cost as a C5 team event. Or we could each put a little in at each event in 2009 the a christmas club ?

Retro Andy

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 10, November, 2008 - 09:54:49 »
Andy - we can talk through some of the figures etc when we meet at Ray's. I'm sure we'll get something put together for the 25th anniversary, it's just a question of how big an event we want and whether ,as a group, we are prepared to pay towards it if necessary.

Maybe someone has links/ideas regarding sponsorship etc.   

Wizbat

« Reply #5 on: 11, November, 2008 - 18:26:42 »
I suppose sir C won,t be all that interested in celebrating the launch because of the fact it was one of his least successful enterprises,still, if the number of owners pledged to turn up was quite significant then maybe with all the hoohaa these days about fuel and emissions etc he could turn up for a big 'I told you so'!!.

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 12, November, 2008 - 13:42:09 »
I read an article about Sir Clive where he was asked how he felt about the C5. If I recall correctly, he said he viewed it simply as a another project and didnt feel an emotional attachment to it. It was the same article where he mentioned our London-Brighton run , so he is aware we are doing our bit to keep the C5alive  8)

As for "C5-25" , I am in talks with Adam Harper plus talks are continuing with Ally Pally about the cost of staging an outside event  - which is by far the cheaper option.  ;)

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 01, December, 2008 - 23:41:44 »
we had a bit of a chat about this event when some of us met up at Rays house.

The costs for staging an event at Ally Pally on Sunday 10 Jan 2010 are :

Indoor venue - start off £3k

Outdoor venue - start off £700

The general consensus was, if we go for this event , we should opt for the outdoor option.

Ally Pally have been generous in offering both options at a very generous price - but there will still be a need to raise funds. The outdoor option will need some shelter ,so a marquee etc will be needed which also need to be paid for.

Is there the support for such a meeting ? All ideas and suggestions welcome.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #8 on: 10, January, 2009 - 13:04:08 »
I think we must do something if not in but near the Ally Pally, not knowing that area dont know if a cheaper option might suit more of us, at least we must stop outside for photos, and maybe fine that icing slope that Sir Clive went down, we could even get Martin's son to make a 25th updated lauch video ? i dont mind if some cost's are involved, but can't afford a huge amount, Karl if you get some number's then lets see how much if we all contribute ? 

Retro Andy

Karl

« Reply #9 on: 26, January, 2009 - 20:26:48 »
With only 4 votes polled, I guess there isn't much support for this suggested event  at all ???.

I expect I may have to pull the plug on this one soon due to lack of interest, which would be a shame  :(.

Perhaps the enthusiasm for C5's is on the decline ?

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #10 on: 26, January, 2009 - 22:16:21 »
I hope its only due to the fact it seems a long way off, it must be a subject that gets decussed on meetings thoughout the year, although money is tight i'm sure we can do something, how many would be interested Karl if it did'nt cost ?  ??? get an idea of numbers before a final decission . Or
would Ally Pally be prepared to let us in if it was a charity event ?

Retro Andy

Wizbat

« Reply #11 on: 27, January, 2009 - 02:03:55 »
Hi karl!
If there is a meet there on that day I will definitly be there, ally pally is on my old stomping ground and I may a couple of mates with their own c5,s by then as well.

Karl

« Reply #12 on: 27, January, 2009 - 10:41:02 »
I hope its only due to the fact it seems a long way off, it must be a subject that gets decussed on meetings thoughout the year, although money is tight i'm sure we can do something, how many would be interested Karl if it did'nt cost ?  ??? get an idea of numbers before a final decission . Or
would Ally Pally be prepared to let us in if it was a charity event ?

Retro Andy

Ally Pally isn't the problem as such. They have already offered us the hall or the outside area free - but we would be expected to meet the staffing costs (security,parking,risk assessment,first aiders etc). These costs are mentioned earlier in the thread - and it's that that's causing the worry.

All our previous events & meetings have been free, the only expense has been everyones own travelling costs. Ally Pally would be our first "commercial" meeting, where up front costs and other financial liabilities are incurred. Although a year sounds a long way off we really don't have that much time to raise the funds and sort out what we might want to achieve for the day.

Being realistic I would have to say arranging such an event might simply be too much for such a small set up as "c5alive".

Perhaps our best hope for a "big event" is if anyone else, like one of the promotional companies, sorts something out and we get invited.

If nothing else happens on the day, I think I will just turn up at the bar inside Ally Pally and raise a glass to Sir Clive. Might even meet wizbat slumped in the corner  ;D   

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #13 on: 27, January, 2009 - 11:30:45 »
Why not just do a meet at the hoover factory?

Karl

« Reply #14 on: 27, January, 2009 - 13:49:53 »
Why not just do a meet at the hoover factory?

Because the official launch was at Ally Pally , I thought it made sense celebrating the 25th anniversary at the actual venue used.

A meeting at the Hoover factory later in the same year (2010) might be an option as well. We were invited back for just such a meeting after the Welsh Autofest .

Something to add to the list  :)