News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: wheel removal  (Read 3736 times)

Offline harpy

• Battery level: 2
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
wheel removal
« on: 06, December, 2012 - 20:33:50 »
Hi everyone, I am a first time owner of a C5.   It came with rotten tyres and is quite grey in colour. I have been scrubbing with everything i have read on the forum but its still grey. Did they make grey ones? I would hate to scrub for months only to find they also came in grey.
The other more important problem is, i have fitted the front tyre and motor side tyre with ease,but i cant figure how to get the offside/brake side wheel off. It looks so easy but i must be missing something. I took the nut off and thats it. According to a stripdown on Utube the bloke said behind the nut is another which he uses a spanner on. On my one it is totally smooth,no way of undoing it. Am i going mad,or is this normal and there is a trick to removing it. I really would apreciate some help on this .
Thanks, Ray. (harpy) ps.got the tyres from c5alive,ever so quick delivery.

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
Re: wheel removal
« Reply #1 on: 06, December, 2012 - 20:45:02 »
Hi Harpy,

a photo would help more than your description.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
« Reply #2 on: 06, December, 2012 - 21:01:38 »
Hi there I might be the Bloke on youtube doing the stripdown . (JORDAN8ISH)   Anyway on the right hand side wheel .There is one large nut on the end then one taped nut that goes into the bearing cage You have to remove both before you can take the wheel off .

Offline harpy

« Reply #3 on: 06, December, 2012 - 21:58:28 »
Thanks for the replies,  i have no idea how to post a picture on here,infact i am amazed i am doing this at my age. I will try and get someone to post a picture for me.
Yes you are the bloke on utube, and very good it is.I have studied it several times and you definately use a spanner for the second nut. My one is just smooth,no evidence of ever having flats for a spanner. All i can get on it is pointed nose pliers but they just slip as it is so smooth. Do you think it may be on the wrong way,as the taper is towards the outside?The wheel turns OK.
Maybe someone has modified it,although it was one owner from new and stored for donkeys years.
Hoping for a solution, Ray.

Offline KarlG

• You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #4 on: 06, December, 2012 - 22:00:40 »
As far as the true colour is concerned it's not Persil whiter than white  :D but more of an old English white.  ;)

If you check the under the inside of the bodywork (above the pedals) you will be able to detect the original colour.

Karl

Offline harpy

« Reply #6 on: 07, December, 2012 - 17:46:25 »
Well done everybody and thanks for the advice. It would seem some one has put the tapered collar on the wrong way round.Thanks to the link sent i can see the shape of the collar, and the flats for the spanner are on the inside instead of the outside. My next challenge is to try and undo it. I have just spent the last hour wrestling and cursing it and it still won"t budge,there is nothing to grip. It is now soaking in WD40. Normally i would apply lots of heat to a collar to release it but of course that would melt everything.At least now i know i am not going mad, just getting mad with it.
Interesting to know the colour is not bright white,they all look much brighter in the photo"s.
Will let you know when/if i get it off.
Thanks, Ray

• Millennium Member
« Reply #7 on: 08, December, 2012 - 10:33:41 »
Hi there try using Mole grips they should do it ......

Offline harpy

« Reply #8 on: 09, December, 2012 - 21:09:36 »
AT LAST ITS OFF.
Went to B&Q today and bought a very small soldering blowtorch, heated the tapered nut untill everything was almost melting,then using  a pair of molegrips that i  ground down so they were thin enough to go down the side, it moved and finally came off. I don"t know how someone could put that on the wrong way round,especialy that tight, but alls well now.
Thanks for everyones advice ( it really does appear you C5ers are a friendly lot).

Ray.

• Millennium Member
« Reply #9 on: 10, December, 2012 - 08:34:15 »
Well done Ray 

Offline harpy

« Reply #10 on: 10, December, 2012 - 22:22:14 »
Forgot to say in the excitement of getting my wheel off. The reason the reversed tapered nut was so far in was because there was no outside bearing!! Its a wonder it turned at all. What a bodge.
New bearings on the way.
I will get this going one day.
 Ray.

Karl

« Reply #11 on: 13, December, 2012 - 12:45:08 »
superb effort mate  8)

Like a lot of vehicles,  bodging is something you see a lot of  ;D

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1955.msg15577.html#msg15577