News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: No House, but a C5!  (Read 4540 times)

R8

No House, but a C5!
« on: 16, December, 2012 - 13:17:31 »
Hi all,

I have just joined the forum after reading it a lot over the past couple of months.

My girlfriend and I have been looking to buy a house since April and whilst on a house viewing (1 of 63!) I came across a C5 partially covered by a dust sheet in a garage. I wanted it, nay needed it. When the estate agent rung for feedback we said that we were not interested in the house but would the owner sell the C5. Our details were passed onto the vendor (of the house and C5) and two months later she rung back saying the house had been sold but the owner wanted them to clear the house first and the C5 was ours if we wanted it! We quickly organised a van and picked it up the following night. The new owners will never know how close the came.

I am in the process of stripping it down (had to order the crank removal tool) to get rid of some of the surface rust on the frame, but it looks in decent condition. It has the keys, key/lock starter, rain cover, raised back reflector and wing mirrors with it.

Without the aid of this forum and the excellent strip down video on youtube I would have been really struggling.

I have a couple of questions: 1) It has the key lock and keys but no battery. What battery should I go for as I want to keep it as original as possible. 2) The back chain cog is really rusty and needs replacing, what do I buy to replace it and how do I get it off the axil? The one on the chain tensioner also needs replacing (the chain tensioner is fine), any suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance.

Hopefully below will be a picture of my new love (don't tell the girlfriend):

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
Re: No House, but a C5!
« Reply #1 on: 16, December, 2012 - 14:14:27 »
Hi R8,

welcome to the forum, I think you'll find all the help you need here.

Now that is truely a fantastic find, almost every possible extra you can think of. :o :o  Did you have to pay for the C5 or were they just gald that it was gone?

About the battery look here: http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1441.msg11200.html#msg11200, this might help.

Cheers.  KarlG.

EDIT: A wheel for the chain tensioner can be taken from a scrap bike, at the worst from a bike shop.

« Last Edit: 16, December, 2012 - 14:25:59 by KarlG »

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 5
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #2 on: 16, December, 2012 - 14:16:52 »
Welcome to the form R8

Ask Chas for a chain tensioner

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1071.0.html

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #3 on: 16, December, 2012 - 18:58:04 »
I have just noticed that the front indicator is a bit low. I am not a perfectionist but I just noticed it  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Apart from that miner detail is should look quite nice when it has been cleaned  :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: 16, December, 2012 - 19:01:13 by Luke Salsbury »

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
« Reply #4 on: 16, December, 2012 - 20:30:22 »
Well done you have the makings of a great C5 .
If there is any help you want just ask ...Bye Chas Check out my videos on YOUTUBE . under    JORDAN8ISH

R8

« Reply #5 on: 16, December, 2012 - 23:07:47 »
Thanks for the prompt replies, warm welcome and links.

The lady just asked for £30. To be honest I think she just wanted it to go to someone who wanted to restore it and take care of it rather than just making some quick money. Her husbands dad bought it and used to do local errands on it. She has asked to be kept informed of it's progress, so when it is up and running (hopefully one day!) I will call in.

Ill have a read around and post some more pictures when I get them.

Thanks

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #6 on: 17, December, 2012 - 07:37:38 »
Hopefully it should get done then it can join the C5 family  ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)

Offline Lancealot

• Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #7 on: 17, December, 2012 - 08:02:14 »
Good luck with your restoration. Good find...............

Lance

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #8 on: 17, December, 2012 - 09:13:10 »
Hi R8 - Fantastic find good luck with the restoration any questions just ask  :) :)

Karl

« Reply #9 on: 17, December, 2012 - 13:25:48 »
r8 - superb find matie and well done  ;)

Offline Dave.76

• Battery level: 3
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #10 on: 17, December, 2012 - 22:11:21 »
Hi R8

That looks like a bargain to me. Excellent find. :)

Keep us informed of how the restoration goes. Good luck with it.

R8

« Reply #11 on: 18, December, 2012 - 19:13:12 »
Again, thanks for the kind replies.

I took the motor off and replaced the tyres and tubes so had a pedal around on it. I was amazed at how fast it goes (or at least feels) just on pedal power alone.

I think the next step is to strip it down completely, get the frame blasted and sprayed (I have a mate who services shot blast machines) and get a battery (thanks for the link) and see if and what of the electrics work.

Pic inside the control box should be below:

I will be delighted to keep you informed of further progress.

• Millennium Member
« Reply #12 on: 18, December, 2012 - 19:41:10 »
Hi there before you dismantle  the motor (if you intend to do ) you must get to know how to do it ...

If you are not sure you can ask ....

R8

« Reply #13 on: 18, December, 2012 - 19:55:17 »
Thanks for tip off. I was not planning on dismantling the motor. If the truth be told I was hoping to not have to. I was hoping to attach a new battery and see what worked and did not work, is that a good or bad idea?

I have a question about the battery. I have had a look and I do not have the two battery plastic covers as shown on the link above. I have the master switch, keys and the original battery charger. Does this affect which battery I should go for and how to connect it? The electric part of the restoration process is the one that makes me the most nervous.

I can take a picture tomorrow if that helps?

• Millennium Member
« Reply #14 on: 18, December, 2012 - 20:41:07 »
Hi if you have connected the motor to a battery and it doe's not work one of the problems could be is that the brushes are stuck in the shoes the may need moving .first of all just give the motor a knock with a wooden mallet ..If that does not work spray some WD40 down the brush tube and then tap it again ....