News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: New Midlands Member and C5 restoration  (Read 3259 times)

impmad2000

New Midlands Member and C5 restoration
« on: 25, December, 2012 - 12:39:08 »
Hi,
I'm a new C5 owner, and Ive restored it already. Here's my C5 story: -
So I bought a Sinclair C5 from my neighbor !
Dirty and unused for many years, but I'd always wanted one and this was cheap !!

It didn't take long to take it to pieces !!
A nice simple chassis under the plastic shell. The tyres were shredded, but basically it was all good.
There was no way I was going to turn on the electrics on until I'd checked them out properly.

Lots of plastic but also some real nice touches. Look at the neat little drum brake ...

There is some rust on the frame, but nothing that can't be fixed.

Here's the first test of the motor.... Good news, it worked after freeing it off.

... and the  rest of the electronics worked too after replacing the voltage regulator !

That's better :)

With some new tyres and a repainted frame

Its time to start re-assembly

And here you go - Done and working :).  Not me driving BTW.

And for the record

Anyone else in the East midlands ? I can arrange a meet at a disused airfield, with good runways :)
Tim
Form Leicester

Karl

Re: New Midlands Member and C5 restoration
« Reply #1 on: 26, December, 2012 - 09:49:12 »
welcome aboard c5alive mate  8)

we will be sorting out the "fixtures list" for next year soon so keep an eye on the events section , if you want to host a meeting then trundling around an airfield sounds fun  ;)

looking at the c5, nice bit of improvise adapt and overcome on the electrics , also - are you missing the chain tensioner ?

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #2 on: 26, December, 2012 - 11:06:18 »
Hi Bud and welcome Im not too far away in East  Northants - love the relay on the outside of the control box  :) :) - Marty

impmad2000

« Reply #3 on: 31, December, 2012 - 12:34:13 »
Thanks for the comments guys.
The External relay was a modification installed by the previous owner. As was the fitting of an industrial style breaker in place of the key switch !!
The chain tensioner is the standard one and was not fitted at the time one of the photos was taken, but is now. This is a bit weak and may well be replaced by one from a bike. I've seen similar fitter on the forum.
Having driven the standard C5, I am impressed with how well it actually carries you along, but really want to go 24V and proportional control.
I run a Kite club at Wymeswold airfield and so can arrange a meet on this site.
Tim

RichardV

« Reply #4 on: 29, March, 2013 - 16:13:20 »
Hey Tim,
I believe you might know Tammy (my sister) and Alan from the flying club.  I spoke to them today and Alan says he's actually been in your C5.  I'll have to bring mine up one weekend and have a buzz around the airfield.  How the 24V idea getting on?
Richard