News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: pod lights  (Read 19728 times)

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 5
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
pod lights
« on: 26, December, 2012 - 13:05:19 »
what do the pod lights mean on the left and the right hand side  ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: 10, January, 2013 - 17:24:09 by Luke Salsbury »

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: pod lights
« Reply #1 on: 26, December, 2012 - 19:54:35 »
Hi there Luke take a look at the photo's ....Sorry about the contrast of the photo's if you cannot read them let me know ..
Bye Chas

« Last Edit: 26, December, 2012 - 19:59:09 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #2 on: 26, December, 2012 - 20:28:58 »
The lights on the right hand side means the battery condition, those lights go down then the C5 starts beeping at me, the battery is charged up and I got the C5Alive battery clamps about 2 weeks ago, we cleaned the connections when I had a different battery and the key switch it worked fine fir about 2 weeks then it started playing up again so that was when we bought the battery clamps, the C5 worked great for about 2 weeks again now its started to do what happened when I had the key switch, do you think the connections on the battery could be dirty  :-\ :-\

The C5 seems to be very complicated for what it is

Thanks, Luke

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #3 on: 27, December, 2012 - 07:33:08 »
Hi Luke - It sounds as if your ULA chip has a defect as this is a classic fault pattern - the only odd thing is that it works for a couple of weeks then starts doing it again - please check your thin brown wire is correctly connected in the control box and that the spade it pushes onto is has a good soldered joint - also make sure the red connector block on the back of the pod is good (ie when you wiggle it does the pod go off) Check the pins on the pod are clean and that the soldered joints are good - If all else fails you could send it to myself and I can test it for you for free if you cover the postage both ways - Marty :)

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 27, December, 2012 - 08:44:40 »

Not really, it's just getting quite old now and with most of the components starting to exceed their design life the number of problems will start to increase .

As a comparison, consider this - how many cars from the mid 1980's are still even out there running about, let alone doing so reliably ?

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #5 on: 27, December, 2012 - 10:46:35 »
Hi Luke - It sounds as if your ULA chip has a defect as this is a classic fault pattern - the only odd thing is that it works for a couple of weeks then starts doing it again - please check your thin brown wire is correctly connected in the control box and that the spade it pushes onto is has a good soldered joint - also make sure the red connector block on the back of the pod is good (ie when you wiggle it does the pod go off) Check the pins on the pod are clean and that the soldered joints are good - If all else fails you could send it to myself and I can test it for you for free if you cover the postage both ways - Marty :)
What is the ULA chip and where is it on the C5

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #6 on: 27, December, 2012 - 10:51:32 »
don't worry my dad knows

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #7 on: 27, December, 2012 - 20:02:14 »
Hi Luke - It sounds as if your ULA chip has a defect as this is a classic fault pattern

What can you do if this has gone

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #8 on: 27, December, 2012 - 20:29:04 »

Not really, it's just getting quite old now and with most of the components starting to exceed their design life the number of problems will start to increase .

As a comparison, consider this - how many cars from the mid 1980's are still even out there running about, let alone doing so reliably ?

My dad has 2 1972 GT6's they run fine, they have probably been looked after well

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #9 on: 28, December, 2012 - 07:29:56 »
Hi Luke - It sounds as if your ULA chip has a defect as this is a classic fault pattern

What can you do if this has gone

Sadly at the moment there is no replacement - however Karl G is looking into it think - I need to contact him when I get a few spare minutes !

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 28, December, 2012 - 12:32:39 »

My dad has 2 1972 GT6's they run fine, they have probably been looked after well

...and I expect the GT6's cost a lot more than a c5 and have had considerably more spent on them in restoration, maintenance and general running costs - just like my MGF . Horses for courses  ;)

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #11 on: 28, December, 2012 - 18:12:09 »
I have sorted out the problem by cleaning the battery terminals and the connections on the back of the pod, I'll go out on it sume time and see if it still works.  :) :) :) :)

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #12 on: 29, December, 2012 - 10:23:43 »
I took it out just now and the lights on the pod went down then started beeping again >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #13 on: 29, December, 2012 - 10:27:16 »
I did not go far and I put my hand on the motor and it was warm. Is it meant to get warm if you have done about 1/4 of a mile
« Last Edit: 29, December, 2012 - 10:55:42 by Luke Salsbury »

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #14 on: 29, December, 2012 - 10:59:04 »
I have cleaned the terminals. Then once I have done about 100 meters the 2 green lights go out. Then once I have done about 1/4 of a mile it starts beeping at me, what dose the beeping mean/ telling you??????????:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\