News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Reproduction Hi Viz Masts  (Read 30769 times)

Offline danny7147

• Battery level: 10
  • If at first you don't succeed... pay someone else.
    • Bikes To The Future
Reproduction Hi Viz Masts
« on: 15, January, 2013 - 20:09:40 »
Hi all, time for a new thread as I'm close to making a prototype now and it would be good to gauge interest on these, especially after the time, parts sourcing, and learning I've had to do to make them  ::)

As it stands, I have a suitable plastic and silicone to produce the flags from, that'll look almost the same as the originals but in light grey. I' 've also found a supplier for the red and white stickers.

Today I've been working on the poles and I'm fairly pleased with the result. Supplied will be two lengths of aluminium. I was considering painting them, but I've stuck with following the originals and have found a light grey heat shrink wrap that will look very similar to the real ones. The only problem is that both aluminium poles and heat shrinks are sold in 1m lengths and (typical!), the real ones are about 60cm so it would mean buying two, losing a LOT of aluminium, and charging about £6 extra if I were to do them the correct length. As a result and to keep the sale price as low as possible I think it will be best to use one pole cut in half. This will mean that my one's are about 3" shorter than the originals, but will make them a very competitive price. I'd like thoughts on this though!

So, that's where I'm at right now, I should have the first prototype ready to take photos of on (hopefully!) Sunday or Monday!

Will keep you updated on the progress  ;D

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
Re: Reproduction Hi Viz Masts
« Reply #1 on: 15, January, 2013 - 20:45:46 »
I would have been interested if only you had reproduced these about 3 months back - I managed to track down an original. May be interested in the indicators though.

marra

« Reply #2 on: 15, January, 2013 - 21:03:06 »
Hi Danny. Could you get the poles in 1.2 or 1.5 mtr lengths ? I can remember 18 month back I sourced ally poles that were 1.2 mtr , I did not bother as I thought of powder coating, but your shrink wrap is a more cost effective way especially as you can get all kinds of colours. I do tip my hat off to you with the indicators and all, and if you do succeed then I do think that you will be selling to those who did not believe or any quiet negativty. Go for it  ;)

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #3 on: 15, January, 2013 - 21:41:31 »
B&Q don't do a suitable diameter and Wickes only do 1m lengths... I will try other sources but 8mm apparently isn't a common size(!)

The indicators will be easy if I can figure a way to get the back parts off... but the rear ones seem to have the black rear part firmly stuck on, so any ideas how to separate it to mould?

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #4 on: 15, January, 2013 - 21:59:22 »
Hi there Danny please send me an email with your phone number then I can help you on the poles + front/back indicators

marra

« Last Edit: 15, January, 2013 - 22:11:27 by marra »

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #6 on: 15, January, 2013 - 22:59:09 »
The first one the longest length is 300mm, the second one would actually work out more expensive than me getting two from Wickes.

The poles I'm trying to keep as cheap as possible to keep the overall cost down of a set, so here's what I have so far. A 1m length of tube is about £3.50, a 1m heat shrink is £2.90. That would mean I can keep the cost of the complete high viz set to somewhere around £20, maybe very slightly more. That's reasonable as it's under half the price of an original. To double that would push the kit cost to nearly £30 which is where most people would pay a little extra for an original one... so what I ideally need is a 1.2m length for no more than £5 to keep the kit cost at a level that people can easily afford :)

marra

« Reply #7 on: 15, January, 2013 - 23:47:38 »
"The first one the longest length is 300mm" , did you look properly ??  ??? You can go up to a meter, but can choose 600. The second is 5mtr length at 9.95, thats well in your budget.
 I only had a quick look, had another now and found 4 others up to 1.5 meter @ £5.20 by google.  ::)  Oh well I tried bud, its late and im caffled on stella. chow.

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #8 on: 16, January, 2013 - 00:18:54 »
Ah, I was looking at that Ebay listing on the Kindle so might not have shown all the options... I'll have a proper look at the 5m one tomorrow though, it would be good to get them the correct length but I'll see :)

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #9 on: 16, January, 2013 - 17:39:58 »
Chemicals arrived today... first tick on the sheet!

Offline KarlG

• You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #10 on: 16, January, 2013 - 20:04:20 »
Be sure not to work in an unventilated room, the fumes from polyester resin are very dagerous.  :o

Offline pso-buzz

• Battery level: 4
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #11 on: 16, January, 2013 - 20:07:23 »
What are you going to do with the chemicals?

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #12 on: 16, January, 2013 - 21:13:28 »
But the fumes are half the fun :-( Read the above thread for what I'm making out of them :-) I couldn't do anything today, I didn't get time to...

Offline KarlG

• You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #13 on: 16, January, 2013 - 21:43:50 »
Hi Danny,

or should I say 'are you hi Danny'.  ;D ;D

Offline pso-buzz

• Battery level: 4
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #14 on: 16, January, 2013 - 22:01:24 »
But the fumes are half the fun :-( Read the above thread for what I'm making out of them :-) I couldn't do anything today, I didn't get time to...

Sorry I have no concept of what you are doing.  I am presuming that you are making the plastic flag bit?

Love to see all the progress.