News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Sunday 4th January '09 run - Crawley "greenzone"  (Read 11862 times)

Karl

Sunday 4th January '09 run - Crawley "greenzone"
« on: 08, December, 2008 - 22:15:01 »
I fancy wandering over and taking a look at this ;

http://www.crawley.gov.uk/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=264

...thought it might help clear a few fuzzy heads after the festive season celebrations  ;D 

Having C5's parked up outside should be quite a sight  8)
« Last Edit: 10, December, 2008 - 19:38:10 by Karl (C5Alive) »

Wizbat

Re: Sunday 4th January '09 run - Crawley "greenzone"
« Reply #1 on: 09, December, 2008 - 23:11:00 »
Bit of a trot for me!
I,ll see how hung over I am!

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 10, December, 2008 - 11:45:26 »
I fully understand mate  ;D , being as its so close to the end of the Christmas/New Year celebrations. The timing isnt the best but my shift rota is a bit odd to say the least - plus its due to change on January 26th so I wanted to get something planned.

It could be the first run where everyone can bring their family - Tilgate recreation park has a nature centre ,kiddies adventure area & the lake is where Donald Campbell test run his Bluebird boat. Plus there is a nice pub and restaurant  8)

If anyone wants to crash at my place overnight to ease the travel pains ,let me know. 

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 12, December, 2008 - 08:57:09 »
I've opened this up as a joint meeting for the BVS as well

http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1683

....should be a nice get-together  8)

Info on Tilgate park, where the greenzone centre is also located

http://www.crawley.gov.uk/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=256
This weekend I'll pop along and sort out some of the finer details  ;)
« Last Edit: 12, December, 2008 - 13:46:55 by Karl (C5Alive) »

c515mph

« Reply #4 on: 12, December, 2008 - 19:11:58 »
I will try to make this one Karl.
Merry Chrismass to you all.
Ray.

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 13, December, 2008 - 09:57:15 »
I went along to the Greenzone yesterday and spoke with some of the guys there. They are very supportive and there is the possibility of this developing into a regular venue for c5alive events,and the chance to help out with summer displays etc. They are hoping to stage a "Green Fair" in 2009 which I have said I would like to be involved in, something worth keeping an eye on.

At present , the Greenzone itself is quite a small set-up within a larger complex - being brutally honest (and no offence intended) it is smaller than I had imagined. However, it is in its infancy and deserves support - a wind turbine is planned so it may well expand further.

I managed to get a few piccies of the place, but the  weather was grim so not the best photos  ::)

« Last Edit: 13, December, 2008 - 17:43:48 by Karl (C5Alive) »

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 30, December, 2008 - 21:54:08 »
Just a reminder - the greenzone run is this coming Sunday.

If you want to join in meet up at my place at the usual time ,between 10-11am. We can then set off for Tilgate Park at about 1130(ish). We should manage to get to the park for around 1pm and spend a few hours there before heading back to my place.

Weather Forecast is dry and bright (...if a bit nippy)

see you there ? 

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #7 on: 31, December, 2008 - 09:36:21 »
I hope you enjoy this first meeting of the 2009 calender, i do wish i could attend more meetings, but with mine and the wife's work it never leaves much spare time, so i have got a great idea that would help us all, its quite a simple idea:- Its an extra day between Sunday and Monday, its called Funday, so everyone can work as normal, do the tesco's shopping, cut the grass, wash the car and take the family out as normal, but with a eight day week we all can do what we dont do enough of, (have fun) this may cause a little disruption with life and the solar system as we know it, but just maybe with some careful planning we could pull it off ? also in my plan of Funday it would never rain.
Anyway have a great day, happy new year to all and will see you in 2009, i will have a look a date for the Royal Run and maybe try and combine it when the motor show is on.
Retro Andy.

blabblub

« Reply #8 on: 31, December, 2008 - 11:46:16 »
I hope you enjoy this first meeting of the 2009 calender, i do wish i could attend more meetings, but with mine and the wife's work it never leaves much spare time, so i have got a great idea that would help us all, its quite a simple idea:- Its an extra day between Sunday and Monday, its called Funday, so everyone can work as normal, do the tesco's shopping, cut the grass, wash the car and take the family out as normal, but with a eight day week we all can do what we dont do enough of, (have fun) this may cause a little disruption with life and the solar system as we know it, but just maybe with some careful planning we could pull it off ? also in my plan of Funday it would never rain.
Anyway have a great day, happy new year to all and will see you in 2009, i will have a look a date for the Royal Run and maybe try and combine it when the motor show is on.
Retro Andy.

Its got my vote , where do I sign

Blabblubububububub

Karl

« Reply #9 on: 01, January, 2009 - 14:37:15 »
Dont forget  "Dave" is available for this run  ;D

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=262.0

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 04, January, 2009 - 21:26:02 »
wow - that has to rate as one of the coldest runs I've ever been on  :o

only the four of us where mad enough to venture out into the sub-zero temperature on our C5's :P

sadly there were no BVS members there either  :-[

...and it was probably a bit too cold for the greenzone centre itself - it was shut  ;D

still, with discretion being the better part of valour we retreated to the nearby cafe and indulged in some hot sausage rolls - quite possibly the hottest I've ever had ; those suckers where nuclear hot  & just what we needed to thaw ourselves out 8)   

some piccies from the day ;

Having learnt by using our C5's throughout last year , in all weathers, we expected the cold to reduce battery performance. However, I was stunned at how badly the red Sinclair batteries performed - maybe at about 2 years old (and well used) they are now starting to get tired ? I'll see if they perform better in warmer weather later in the year. The fairly new Halfords leisure battery was also a bit of a disappointment, its range dropped quite drastically as well.

Ray's leisure battery coped quite well, though best performance of the day was from Martins twin car battery set up (still 12v)  using Halfords type 063's. My old Drivemaster batteries also coped well.   

Remarkably, we didn't suffer any breakdowns  - not even from the c5's   ;D 
« Last Edit: 04, January, 2009 - 21:41:25 by Karl (C5Alive) »

Wizbat

« Reply #11 on: 05, January, 2009 - 00:37:37 »
Hi folks!
I,m sorry i couldn,t make it today as I was up to my eyeballs with getting all my stuff ready to go back to work tomorrow.
I hope andy has some luck with getting this funday idea off the ground as I could use an extra day in the week.
Hopefully see ya at the next one
Wiz

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #12 on: 05, January, 2009 - 14:09:40 »
we retreated to the nearby cafe and indulged in some hot sausage rolls - quite possibly the hottest I've ever had ; those suckers where nuclear hot  & just what we needed to thaw ourselves out 8)   

Karl there is nothing more nuclear hot than a McDonalds apple pie those f***ers will take your skin off and leave you with just your jaw bone left!

c5martin

« Reply #13 on: 05, January, 2009 - 18:54:23 »
A C5 run with a difference.
It was certainly the coldest one.
Highlighted all the reasons why launching the C5 with sub zero temperatures was a mistake.
My C5 struggled with the hill up to the Greenzone.
Round trip was about 11Mls my twin batteries would have managed about 14Mls.
The need for testing the duration of batteries under load is something we will do in 2009 should be very interesting to compare cheep and expensive options.
Big thanks to Karl and Angie for their hospitality including those legendary sausage rolls.
I think thermal underwear is a must for the next sub zero run!
Just more pictures of the day.

Karl

« Reply #14 on: 06, January, 2009 - 09:46:07 »
I love the pictures of Ray - that balaclava makes him look "well 'ard"  ;D

Top respect to Ray for travelling all the way from Norfolk to Crawley, just to freeze his bits off in a C5  :o

Hope the journey back went smoothly.