News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: New to the C5  (Read 3337 times)

Offline cardaft

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
New to the C5
« on: 19, April, 2013 - 22:56:05 »
Hi, I've only recently bought a C5. I've always wanted to have a try of one and when one came up for sale locally I decided it was not to be missed.

I'm still learning about them but it does appear to be fairly decent and I can't see that it has had much in the way of use. I bought it without battery so I had no idea if it worked or not. It had been sat in a garage for quite a while and the owner didn't really know much about it. I had been on here before buying and researched into what else to look for and it all checked out ok.

While there are marks and scuffs on the body there is nothing major and no cracks, it should clean up a treat. The original centre caps are in the wheels, the front wheel has the cowling and all of the tyres are the original Sinclair Vee Rubber type which all hold air - they are quite cracked though. The battery terminals have been swapped to take car battery type posts and the old battery cover is with it, as is the charger but there are no keys. The tool kit is also there. The chassis is very very good too, as are the wheel bearings.

After getting it home we hooked up a car battery to check for signs of life, the front and rear lights worked but that was it. A fuse had gone, once replaced the motor was running fine. The front brake did nothing so that was adjusted, the rear brake was sticking so that was also adjusted and now work as well as can be expected. After correcting the tyre pressures we had it out for a run, which was a lot of fun!

The POD had no lights, after looking on here and at the C5 we found there was a few dead resistors. Since replacing those the pod lights up for battery and for motor use while it is being driven. However, I understand the end lights are missing.

Here is the thread a friend posted about the POD

Apart from this, it seems in good order and complete.

Some pictures then:

It needs a good clean and I would like some of the proper accessories - the mirrors perhaps, rear mudflaps, reflector mast/frame and maybe indicators. However, I guess that depends what turns up!

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Re: New to the C5
« Reply #1 on: 20, April, 2013 - 05:40:19 »
Hi and welcome to the forum - great to see photos thank you - it looks like both your banks of leds are not quire correct -I would very much suspect the solder joints need checking on the connector block and possibly on the leds -enjoy your c5

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #2 on: 20, April, 2013 - 07:54:08 »
Hi there wecome to the forum ...Any help you want just ask ..Bye Chas

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 21, April, 2013 - 07:32:12 »
Hello and welcome to the forum, nice pictures and enjoy having some fun  :)

Retro Andy.

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #4 on: 21, April, 2013 - 12:41:34 »
Welcome - you have a car that the C5 fits in too! For some reason we all seem to be buying roadsters on here. No good for C5 transportation!

Offline cardaft

« Reply #5 on: 28, April, 2013 - 18:22:25 »
Yes, it is very handy having an estate car which the C5 fits into no problem. In fact, with the larger part of the rear seat squab removed, it fits in with three seats still available in the car and with both removed, two C5s would fit in if in oppostie directions. That is a Citroen Xantia estate. I've recently sold my Citroen C5 hatchback, which is a bit of a shame now ...  ::)

Just fitted a new front LED bulb from the shop here, a big improvement on the normal type bulb. I've also just fitted a replacement boot lock, just a generic barel type thing, which does the job.

I also got a keyring from here too, I guess I got a free fridge magnet with it  :D

Offline cardaft

« Reply #6 on: 15, May, 2013 - 14:38:05 »
Well my C5 is coming along, I've replace the front bulb with an LED from the club shop, replaced the boot lock as I didn't get keys with my C5. I've also given it a good cleaning which has improved it somewhat. I purchased a reproduction Hi Vis mast from Danny, which looks great and I have a set of mudflaps from Chas in the post.

The POD is now fully functional, the reason for the dim lights and the missing end lights in my above post was due to the voltage regulator. I put in a new one last night and it works a treat, after a bit of a run I can confirm its all working as it should now.

Some pictures, not great ones but here we go:

My next jobs will be to fit the mudflaps and probably replace the reflective strips down the sides.

I went to the Brooklands Museum this Saturday gone, I was surprised to see three C5s in there. I notice one or two have C5Alive stickers, members C5s? I particularily liked the standard one with the mirrors and indicators. I'll be keeping mine as standard as is possible while keeping it working and hopefully adding some more genuine or reproduced accessories as I find them.

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 19, May, 2013 - 08:50:46 »
I went to the Brooklands Museum this Saturday gone, I was surprised to see three C5s in there. I notice one or two have C5Alive stickers, members C5s? I particularily liked the standard one with the mirrors and indicators. I'll be keeping mine as standard as is possible while keeping it working and hopefully adding some more genuine or reproduced accessories as I find them.

Two of the three c5's at Brooklands are owned by museum staff and were restored/rebuilt by myself, both of which run using a 12v relay and voltmeter in lieu of control box and pod. They're used for charity events and sometimes can be seen driving around the museum site.
The main display c5 is owned by Brooklands Museum and is also looked after by myself, you'd be surprised how much damage it sustains even though it's a static display item & sits in a roped off area.