News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: New C5 Owner :-)  (Read 2430 times)

Offline weirdmattbrown

• Battery level: 1
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
New C5 Owner :-)
« on: 15, June, 2013 - 19:58:22 »
Hi guys, I'm the proud new owner of a slightly tatty looking C5.

My initial aim is getting is running on pedal power but I appear to be missing a couple of parts in the wheel on the drive side. The wheel bearing is missing plus the metal part the bearing sits in. Picture below

I notice that the shop sells wheel bearings but that it says they're for the brake side.

Any suggestions as to where I could source these parts would be greatly appreciated  :)

I'll post up some pictures of the C5 soon. The guy I bought off said he'd got it from a mate and that he'd got it from pinewood studios where it had been covered in artificial grass and used in a milk advert apparently  ???

Karl

Re: New C5 Owner :-)
« Reply #1 on: 15, June, 2013 - 20:59:52 »
These links may help you picture the parts you need;

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,342.msg2293.html#msg2293

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,156.msg2546.html#msg2546

...looking at the worn lugs on your exisiting wheel I'd say it might be better to replace the whole wheel  :-\
« Last Edit: 15, June, 2013 - 21:02:51 by BooBoo »

Offline weirdmattbrown

« Reply #2 on: 15, June, 2013 - 21:57:55 »
Thanks for the response. I had actually looked at that first thread earlier to work out what was missing. The fourth picture down pretty much shows what I need albeit for the other wheel.

Probably a daft question but when you say 'lugs', which part do you mean?
« Last Edit: 15, June, 2013 - 22:02:43 by weirdmattbrown »

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 15, June, 2013 - 22:16:04 »
..follow the spokes up to the hub, you'll see each second spoke has a round "nodule" sticking out, this is what the drive plate fits onto on the "drive" side, or the brake hub on the "brake" side (the wheels themselves are inter-changeable each side, only the metalwork is different).

Offline weirdmattbrown

« Reply #4 on: 16, June, 2013 - 19:50:21 »
Right, having had another look at the wheel and looking through some of the threads here I'm clearly missing different bits to what I thought  ::) I think the drive plate you mentioned previously is missing. I've checked the lugs against the other wheel and they look to be same length, so I think the wheel itself is fine. Is that the drive plate in this pic

All I've got is this

Thanks for your help and I'm finding all sorts of useful info on the forum  :)

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 17, June, 2013 - 11:22:28 »
"drive plate" might not be its correct name but thats what I refer to it as  :), and yes it is visible in the top picture. It attaches to the wheel via the six raised plastic lugs. It has a splined centre that matches those on the axle. This is the part that transfers the drive from the axle to the wheel, without it the axle would just spin inside the centre of the wheel.

Offline weirdmattbrown

« Reply #6 on: 17, June, 2013 - 20:41:42 »
Cheers, now I know what I need I guess I'll head over the wanted part of the forum...