News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: Hello c5ers!  (Read 3006 times)

Offline thompson

• Battery level: 1
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Hello c5ers!
« on: 26, June, 2013 - 08:32:32 »
Hi,

Well I have a C5 and there is a story behind it.
My late father was a professional photographer. In the 1980's worked at a studio in West Kensington. One day they had  a job assignment to photograph the new C5. 2 C5 turned up to the studio and of course pictures were taken.
Afterwards one of the C5's was given to my father, I think another phographer had the other one.
My father took it home, but the only problem was that although he had a C5, there was no key!
I remember peddalling it round the block and that was it.
It has sat in a open garage for a long time, under plastic sheeting.
So it is in a sad condition, my aim is to restore it.
Here are some pictures from 10 years ago, in 2003, I am still clearing the garage and will take pictures of it when I remove it from the garage.

I did clean it after taking these pictures, one thing I will say that the stickers were paper, not proper ones.
I do have the rear storage box.
Could it be a prototype or pre production model?

I will take pictures of the photos we have in the house later and post them on here.

Apart from this forum and eBay, where is the best place to look for parts?
« Last Edit: 27, June, 2013 - 10:22:31 by thompson »

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
Re: Hello c5ers!
« Reply #1 on: 26, June, 2013 - 11:36:44 »
You have already named the 2 best sources of spares

Offline thompson

« Reply #2 on: 26, June, 2013 - 15:55:14 »
Thanks for the reply and help.
Can anyone help me out with some details, or tell me if everything iis correct. I have not seen this C5 and not ever studied one in any detail.

cardboard sticker:

Is this normal:

« Last Edit: 27, June, 2013 - 10:23:04 by thompson »

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 26, June, 2013 - 17:50:12 »
It looks complete enough to be worth restoring. As for whether its a prototype or not there are some differences , such as the control box, and the colour of the rear "sub-frame" that runs from the chassis to the rear light .

It also looks as though the grey footwells have been painted black at some point and the bulb holder area to the rear of the front light is slightly different as well.

Together with the different control box, assuming its a Sinclair item , and the odd stickers it could well indicate this is a pre-production c5   . Does it have a chassis number sticker up near the pedals ?

Offline thompson

« Reply #4 on: 26, June, 2013 - 18:46:03 »
Hi,
it is not painted black, the grey finish is flaking off. Same goes for the hub caps, they are painted also.
The only sticker I can find is a small white one on the back of the body, with a number 4 on it.
When my dad brought it home, me and my sister took it up the road to the shops by peddaling a couple of times until the front hubcap fell off. Then it went back into the garage.
« Last Edit: 27, June, 2013 - 10:24:13 by thompson »

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #5 on: 26, June, 2013 - 18:55:52 »
This looks like a possible pre-production model.

The rear frame appears to be zinc coated instead of being painted black and it doesn't look like it has the rear brackets for the boot to fit on.

The control box and wiring look very 'prototype' to me too.

Originally, the footwell plastic is grey. Not painted, they just comes out moulded in grey. If yours are originally black then this could point to it not being a production model. The 'inner side' of the shell looks like it's grey too, is that correct? Originally, this was white as well.

I may possibly have a pre-production ex-Lotus employee C5 coming my way soon so will have a look and compare yours to that.

Offline thompson

« Reply #6 on: 26, June, 2013 - 19:07:28 »
Hi,
yes the chassis looks that it is zinc plated.
The footwell area is smooth and black under the grey textured paint.
From the footwell up to the dash pod, it is white and there are 2 velcro strips.
The boot never fitted well, so it should have had brackets?
If you want me to photograph anything, let me know.
Regards,
Dominic.

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #7 on: 26, June, 2013 - 20:33:10 »
The footwell area should have been moulded as textured, this does point to your example being quite an oddity. It shouldn't be painted but a textured grey plastic.

I have taken a few photos of my C5 to show you the differenced obvious on yours and a production model.

Firstly, the front loom should go through a grommet and there shouldn't be a cut above the bulb holder outlet. There should also be a recess for the white sticker containing the serial number.

Secondly, you can see the difference in the rear 'loop' frame. The production models were fitted with a black one with metal brackets to support the boot. Perhaps this is a development C5 and these weren't fitted to it. In this picture you can also see that the 'inner wheel arch' is white on a production C5 whereas on yours it appears to be a sort of dark grey/black.

Finally, you can see the how an original control box & wiring look. There are a few, rather obvious, differences here too.
« Last Edit: 26, June, 2013 - 20:36:02 by kamilb1998 »

Offline thompson

« Reply #8 on: 26, June, 2013 - 21:03:22 »
The footwell area should have been moulded as textured, this does point to your example being quite an oddity. It shouldn't be painted but a textured grey plastic.

I have taken a few photos of my C5 to show you the differenced obvious on yours and a production model.

Firstly, the front loom should go through a grommet and there shouldn't be a cut above the bulb holder outlet. There should also be a recess for the white sticker containing the serial number.

Secondly, you can see the difference in the rear 'loop' frame. The production models were fitted with a black one with metal brackets to support the boot. Perhaps this is a development C5 and these weren't fitted to it. In this picture you can also see that the 'inner wheel arch' is white on a production C5 whereas on yours it appears to be a sort of dark grey/black.

Finally, you can see the how an original control box & wiring look. There are a few, rather obvious, differences here too.

I have placed the pictures side by side, intresting...

Offline thompson

« Reply #9 on: 27, June, 2013 - 09:26:41 »
I forgot to ad that the body is made of fibregalss