News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Rear drum brake out of shape ?  (Read 3051 times)

Offline gertk

• Battery level: 6
  • When in doubt: C5
Rear drum brake out of shape ?
« on: 09, July, 2013 - 06:41:59 »
I noticed on my first trip that the rear drum brake was starting to squeak. After disassembly, treating the brake pads with some sandpaper and the inner drum surface with scotchbrite it seems better now. I suspect that my C5 was left on the parking brake during storage and the drum might be out of shape. Is this possible?

When turning the wheel it drags for a bit, then turns free, then drags again. Bearings are cleaned, greased and adjusted and when I release the brake pads a bit more the wheel turns freely. 

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
Re: Rear drum brake out of shape ?
« Reply #1 on: 09, July, 2013 - 11:43:58 »
I think it would be hard for the force exerted by the parking brake to distort the drum. More likely shoes not quite in alignment, pivots sticking. I also doubt that the heat generated by hard braking would distort the drum unless possibly the brake was immediately put into park thereby not allowing sufficient heat dispersion. This is exactly how bad drivers distort front discs by hard braking then leaving foot on pedal whilst at lights or roundabout etc.

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #2 on: 09, July, 2013 - 16:05:33 »
It is not uncommon for the rear brake drum to be out of shape, you'd be lucky to find one that isn't. I'd have another go at adjusting the brakes.

Offline gertk

« Reply #3 on: 12, July, 2013 - 21:18:57 »
Re-adjusted the rear brake and the squeaking is gone now.. Drove a few kilometers and all is well except... the park function does not work anymore (it just barely holds the C5 in place) :D
Some more adjusting is needed..

BTW, the resonance of the front wheel cover(s) was simply because I had not put them on correctly (a bit too low), the wheel is running freely now.

Offline gertk

« Reply #4 on: 11, August, 2013 - 19:45:47 »
Re-adjusted the brake some more and it is usable now, I also found out the parking brake function has two notches: the second notch holds the C5 fine.