News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: C5@30  (Read 41833 times)

Offline gertk

• Battery level: 6
  • When in doubt: C5
Re: C5@30
« Reply #15 on: 22, July, 2013 - 17:02:59 »
Gaydon for me, as long as I can get a headlight first. Still looking.

Well, it is not in too good condition but maybe it will do for the time being:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sinclair-C5-Front-Light-Damaged-/290949432023?pt=UK_Collectables_Bicycle_RL&hash=item43bdf002d7

Karl

« Reply #16 on: 22, July, 2013 - 21:16:34 »
Why don't you just have 2 events. 1 for the south and 1 for the north?

Looking through the event archives as a guide,  I think there is the possibility that the c5 community just isn't large enough to support two events.

The most we've ever had at Brooklands is about 25 c5's , the international meeting was about 16 c5's with a similar number at the run to the Hoover factory in Merthyr Tydfil .

I'm all for large scale events but history shows that sadly the support isn't really there. 

Offline c5mick

• Battery level: 3
  • Live for today, tomorrow may not be as good
« Reply #17 on: 22, July, 2013 - 22:24:34 »
Hi gertk
Thanks I have noticed the headlight, but it's too far gone for me. I have a while before the 30th anniversary to get a good headlight.
If the event is at Gaydon or Manchester then it suits me, coming from Stoke on trent both a fairly close. Being a newbie then I will go with the flow and if its at lands end then I will do my best to get there, hopefully with a good head light.
Regards
Mick

Offline danny7147

• Battery level: 10
  • If at first you don't succeed... pay someone else.
    • Bikes To The Future
« Reply #18 on: 22, July, 2013 - 22:28:18 »
Is there actually anybody who couldn't do Gaydon? I can't make any promises on the place yet as the events guy isn't back in the office until tomorrow, but I remember when I asked last year about attending one of their shows they said they'd love me to come as the museum's got a C5!

Offline c5mick

« Reply #19 on: 23, July, 2013 - 01:13:12 »
Danny
You could do with an emailing list and blanket mail all registered members to ask who can't do Gaydon.
Make a weekend out of it camping if anywhere local to put faces to names
Mick

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #20 on: 23, July, 2013 - 10:54:54 »
That's a great idea, let me get hold of Gaydon first of all though to see if there'd be charges etc though  ;D

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 5
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #21 on: 23, July, 2013 - 21:44:30 »
Is there actually anybody who couldn't do Gaydon? I can't make any promises on the place yet as the events guy isn't back in the office until tomorrow, but I remember when I asked last year about attending one of their shows they said they'd love me to come as the museum's got a C5!

Gaydon is a bit to far for a c5 meeting for me. Would prefer brooklands but it depends what people opt for

Offline c5mick

« Reply #22 on: 23, July, 2013 - 22:39:07 »
Luke,
Guildford to Gaydon is not a bad run, possibly 1hour 45 mins on a good day, less than 100 miles, bit far on a C5 single battery, lol

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #23 on: 24, July, 2013 - 13:39:09 »
Right, initial report from Gaydon is actually pretty amazing! Time of year doesn't bother them as they have two indoor galleries that they're happy for us to use, so if a January 10th date was favoured it would be indoor, but they said any time of year they're happy with. They said a standalone show's fine, but piggybacking another event may be better as they obtain huge visitor numbers. Lastly, they're also happy to do lots of publicity for it to :-)

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #24 on: 24, July, 2013 - 17:19:23 »
Put me down ..Chas

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #25 on: 24, July, 2013 - 18:08:56 »
That's great Chas, be great to see some of your machines! I'm talking to the guy about it in more depth on Friday but I told him an estimate of 20 C5's, although he didn't seem too concerned about numbers. What's your thoughts though on a January 10th indoor show or a summer one? I know it's a long, long way off yet but I'm a big believes in preplanning lol!

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #26 on: 24, July, 2013 - 18:43:23 »
Hi there Danny I will try my best to be at both meetings

Offline c5mick

« Reply #27 on: 24, July, 2013 - 20:21:42 »
January could be a cold one,  a summer gathering for a weekend would be nice, camping, caravanning etc.
Put me down for bringing 1 in January, weather permitting, if a summer gathering then put me down for bringing a minimum of 2.
Cheers
Mick

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #28 on: 24, July, 2013 - 21:48:09 »
No problem! I'll have a clearer idea of things after the call on Friday so will keep everyone updated with progress etc. From what he was saying, and I haven't been to Gaydon in about ten years, there are two galleries by the cafe upstairs that overlook the museum and we'd be able to use one or both of them depending on the quantity.

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #29 on: 26, July, 2013 - 21:51:33 »
Okay... had a good chat with Gaydon today and it's good news and bad news with some major feedback required!

Basically, they'd be over the moon to host the 30th anniversary get together, they'd run it either as a standalone show, or as the centrepiece (heavily marketed) of either their Spring or Autumn classics shows. That's a pretty big deal. With the Spring show we could have an area outside (it would be in May) with tarmac and an area to ride them in, or in Autumn we could have the gallery inside... entirely our choice.

The drawback is that to cover insurance, publicity etc etc, it would be £275 for us to attend. Now, this hinges a lot of course on if people would be willing to pay to attend the show, and how many people would want to come, which is why I'll just lay out the facts as I know them. Basically, for the £275 we'd get 30 free entrance tickets to the museum, so as near as makes no difference, if we've got 30 people who would want to come (including partners) it would be a hell of a day out for a tenner each.

We can either look into the possibility of this, and work out if we'd charge per C5 or per person, or we can look for an alternative.

Don't shoot the messenger, to be fair it would be an incredible day and a centrepiece show, so let me know your thoughts :)