News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: C5@30  (Read 41844 times)

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
Re: C5@30
« Reply #45 on: 06, November, 2013 - 09:59:33 »
There are anniverasaries of car model launches probaby nearly every month, and most of those cars were not the laughing stock of the motoring world when launched, so why would all motoring programmes  want to feature the C5? It solved no motoring problem,just potentially caused them, and it has only survived in numbers because it was cheap to buy, easy to store, and many remained unsold.

Offline kamztrad

• Battery level: 0
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #46 on: 08, November, 2013 - 15:48:58 »
While it is true there are car anniversaries every month, they are all very similar whereas the C5 is simply a one off, one of a kind, the like of which we may never see again. It stands alone as a towering achievement of the power of determination over common sense, and must be hailed and revered as such, surely !!??

Offline dadandjames

• a man is a boy with a bigger toy
« Reply #47 on: 08, November, 2013 - 23:41:07 »
While it is true there are car anniversaries every month, they are all very similar whereas the C5 is simply a one off, one of a kind, the like of which we may never see again. It stands alone as a towering achievement of the power of determination over common sense, and must be hailed and revered as such, surely !!??
Agree C5 stands alone.
Part of its appeal is its failure. However it pointed the way to the future. It would have been different if it was launched now.
Sir Clive was way ahead of his time.

Offline cRaigalexander

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #48 on: 09, November, 2013 - 20:04:51 »
Another suggestion for somewhere to have a stand- Retro Rides Gathering. Its lots of oddball/ "retro" 70s, 80s and other cars, most modified, and its set at the lovely Prescott Hill, a lovely hillclimb in Gloucestershire, its a really nice venue.

http://www.retroridesgathering.com/

Offline danny7147

• Battery level: 10
  • If at first you don't succeed... pay someone else.
    • Bikes To The Future
« Reply #49 on: 01, December, 2013 - 19:09:27 »
I've just had a thought... with all of the Comet's that closed down would it be apt to see if we can hold a mini show at a defunct Comet lol ;) Not necessarily the C5@30 event, but just a get together next year...

Offline dantheref

• I used to be indecisive, but now im not so sure
« Reply #50 on: 12, February, 2014 - 20:44:08 »
Would be up for doing something, any more on this Dan?

Offline alecjw

« Reply #51 on: 16, February, 2014 - 11:09:46 »
I think cambridge would be kind of appropriate considering that's the home of sinclair research. Although I'm perhaps biased here since I live in cambridge.

Offline danny7147

• Battery level: 10
  • If at first you don't succeed... pay someone else.
    • Bikes To The Future
« Reply #52 on: 09, May, 2014 - 16:06:30 »
Had a potential brainwave a couple of days ago that Facebook members seem to be in favour of and has more positives than most other ideas so far... let me explain, but would of course value opinions!

We've just returned from a very cheap 3 night stay at Pontins Camber Sands... had a great time. It's been difficult to think of good events to latch onto (on the basis that we would never have enough machines to warrant a full blown C5 show) and one that occurred to me was doing a get together at one of the 80's Weekends they hold.

I mentioned it to one of the managers, they seem keen, but I want to test people's opinions first before I try and barter a deal on accommodation prices Tec, so at the moment all I can say is I presume it would be a couple of hundred for an apartment for the three nights obviously including all of th entertainment.

From my point of view it has several pros and cons...

Pros:-

All members attending will have accommodation,  if you're travelling a long distance to attend you wouldn't have to search for a hotel

Weekend of great entertainment including a variety of original 80's singers/groups. Hasn't been announced for next year yet but they usually get people like Aswad, Bucks Fizz, Jason Donovan... that sort of thing.

Cheap alcohol. A must for any serious C5 fan. Beer was £3.30 a pint, happy hour 5-7 at £2.20 a pint.

Other facilities include a pool, arcade, mini golf, there's plenty.

Reasonably central location for people living in the south (I'll come onto the north a bit later)

All visitors will be 80's fans and will therefore love our lineup.

Cons...

Basic accommodation... it's adequate, but don't expect luxury

Our event would only be open to the public if they paid the gate entrance for a day ticket

Unknown if under 18s are allowed... it doesn't say on their website that they aren't, I'm just saying that Butlins class these as adult only events

So... initial thoughts would be welcomed!

For our northern members, Pontins Southport hold an 80's weekend too which might be more appropriate, but I can only really organise one... so IF people like this idea then maybe another member would like to make contact and try and organise a similar event at Southport!

Offline Giles

« Reply #53 on: 16, June, 2014 - 21:48:06 »
Great to meet you all who attended Brooklands, it was a great event and my C5 felt like it had a birthday!

C5-30:
Gaydon sounds ideal as there is a network of roads on site that are free from traffic but can be seen from most of the display area.
The other big benefit for Gaydon that I haven't seen mentioned before is that they have a programme of events that we could piggy back off.
For example the Metro(!) owners club had there annual event there in conjunction with something else going on.
It makes sense for the Hetitage center as they get more people in on any one day.
They also have a C5 in the museum is a poor state of repair.... Could we restore it 'Live' as a display item?
(It's missing the front wheel cover & flat tyres)
Cheers, Giles

Offline dantheref

• I used to be indecisive, but now im not so sure
« Reply #54 on: 16, June, 2014 - 23:20:32 »
Good to meet you Giles!!! Your c5 looked like a new machine by the end! Was impressive how quickly you can get them going again! Thanks for the back seat booster and tonneau! The gf was impressed she has no excuse not to join me for a longer cruise now she has back support!

gaydon sounds good! As long as we mark it somehow I will be there!

Offline Zelandeth

• Whatever I do I won't get distract...Oooohshiny...
    • LOZ - Old tech, oddball cars, lighting info...and whatever else I remember to upload
« Reply #55 on: 02, July, 2014 - 00:16:58 »
Gaydon ain't far up the road from us here in MK so I would be game.  The Saab or Skoda are suitably 80s methods of getting there too I think!

Will be watching this thread with interest, but definitely would like to be involved.

Offline jockywilson11

« Reply #56 on: 03, July, 2014 - 16:39:03 »
Need to see if the C5 fits inside my Toyota Auris Hybrid... All these places are a long way from Aberdeen!

Offline g4vll

« Reply #57 on: 03, July, 2014 - 22:35:13 »
A beer tent sounds good 5 or 6 pints and i can drive the C5 home and if its at gaydon  I cant get lost its only 80 miles  straight down the M40  lol .
On a more serious not Gaydon  is a nice central venue and  spring  time would be a nice time . 

Offline c5mick

• Battery level: 3
  • Live for today, tomorrow may not be as good
« Reply #58 on: 04, July, 2014 - 11:46:01 »
Hi
Who is organising this event ?
Regards
Mick

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #59 on: 09, July, 2014 - 22:37:48 »
I am up for a northern one.

ta Lance