News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 9135 times)

Offline John_E_76

• Battery level: 2
Hello everyone!
« on: 22, August, 2013 - 22:07:39 »
Hi there!
Have just obtained a fairly complete C5 (saved it from the skip at work at least!) and I am hoping to restore it to its former glory over the next few months. Have been having a good old read up on here over the last couple of days and have come across my first problem. I have no original battery and don't know if any of the motor/ electricals work, I noticed that ill need a wiring kit to fit a normal car battery and that they are not available at the mo. hoping someone might have a 2nd hand one lurking around, or if anyone can tell me when they will be coming available again, or even send me a wiring diagram on how to make one (cheeky I know but you never know lol)

Gonna be carrying out a bit of a strip down over the weekend to see what else I need so I could be making a bit of a pest of myself looking for parts/ help on wiring up parts etc, got a few ideas on making some tasteful mods whilst doing this refurb so any help will be gratefully received!

Will post some pics when (a) I've taken some and (b) I find out how to upload them to a forum! (I've never really used these properly before lol)

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #1 on: 22, August, 2013 - 23:23:43 »
Welcome to the forum

You will get all the help you need and more, someone will have the answer to most things C5.

I think Chas is doing the Wiring kits on e bay, you can also get them direct from him plus some other rare parts not available elsewhere.

This link will get you started  on your C5 journey :)  http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,627.0.html

[What part of the country are you in, there will probably be another c5 owner nearby.

Any help you need just ask ...

John - PLOD11
« Last Edit: 22, August, 2013 - 23:31:33 by PLOD11 »

Offline John_E_76

« Reply #2 on: 23, August, 2013 - 06:40:09 »
Thanks for your reply John

Feeling a bit better now knowing that I can get some of the parts I need, was starting to think that it was only ever gonna be a strange looking bike lol.

Been looking through some of those links there's more info on there than most car sites that I go on! You guys really are dedicated!

I live in the Manchester area, so hopefully there's someone nearby on hand to help

1 question I have is about posting pics, is there any way of doing this using an iPad, my pc is on the blink and don't know if using photobucket will work on this (truth is I've never used any of these, I have a Dropbox account but don't know If that's any help)

Any help is very gratefully received!

Offline musntgrumble

• 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #3 on: 23, August, 2013 - 20:23:57 »
Welcome buddy. Im in Poynton , Im certainly no expert but Im learning and Ive managed to get mine going with some great help from the guys on here. Ill help if I can cheers Mark

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #4 on: 23, August, 2013 - 21:39:40 »
Hi there Welcome to the site any help you want just ask .Bye Chas

Offline musntgrumble

« Reply #5 on: 24, August, 2013 - 15:08:29 »
South Manchester Stockport way

Offline John_E_76

« Reply #6 on: 25, August, 2013 - 06:58:21 »
Nice to know there's so many helpful people! Thanks guys for your offers of help, I'm thinking the only help ill need will be with wires as that's my weak point, and as I've only got the basic version with no added indicators, horn etc (and planning to fit with full led conversion) I got a feeling I need to get my head around it pretty quick lol

I am based in the nice bit of salford (there is one honest)

Got a morning of taking photos and stripping it down today so I can find out what I need to buy/ scavenge. It looks very complete but I'm sure I'll find some vital part missing

• Millennium Member
« Reply #7 on: 25, August, 2013 - 07:51:28 »
Hi there if you need any help you could go to my vides and take a look on youtube ...JORDAN8ISH

Bye Chas

Offline John_E_76

« Reply #8 on: 25, August, 2013 - 13:41:06 »
Been taking a few photos, given it a clean, and tried to repair some punctures so I could have a little ride on it.

Had my first bit of trouble as the rear wheel bearings have broken up and has damaged the threads on the rear axle. So spent a little time making the best repair I could on the damaged threads.

The two rear inner tubes are completely shot, just too old and leaking from around the valves. Luckily though, the front tube is exactly the same as my daughters pram wheels, so I have now stolen her spare tube lol. And as it has an angled valve it's even easier to pump it up too!

Been fighting with photobucket on my iPad and getting it to post pics is proving a pain so gonna try typing a link to my library, feel free to have a look if it works

http://Http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/John_E_76/slideshow

Offline John_E_76

« Reply #9 on: 25, August, 2013 - 13:51:03 »

Offline John_E_76

« Reply #10 on: 25, August, 2013 - 13:53:02 »
Ha ha! I've finally Sussed it, thank god there's an app for that lol

The last picture I found some cut wires on the wiring behind the seat, are they for indicators? Or is it something that needs a repair?

• Millennium Member
« Reply #11 on: 25, August, 2013 - 19:11:18 »
Hi there wires behind the seat are for the indicators and the horn ..Do not cut them ....

Offline musntgrumble

« Reply #12 on: 26, August, 2013 - 21:06:45 »
Looks in fab condition underneath. Is that coffee you have spilt on the front :) To get the best finish I use a green scourer dipped in water with some cif cream cleaner ( as recommended on here) plus a sprinkling of my magic ingredient  to give it a little more "bite" ................. good old fashioned Vim !! I bought from a pound shop locally and it works better than cif on its own ,anyone under 45 is unlikely to of ever heard of it though !

Offline John_E_76

« Reply #13 on: 26, August, 2013 - 22:25:55 »
I been real lucky it's in really good condition, just really dirty from being stored in our workshop store container for over a year and before that in our bosses garage. Gave it a good steam clean yesterday to get rid of most of the dirt although I couldn't get the oil off of it. Gonna have a look around our valet bay tomorrow and see if there's anything there to get rid of it, if not ill try the cif and scourer method.

Ordered some new rear wheel bearings and rear inner tubes this morning so that'll keep me busy for a while then I can have my first go in it. Then next job is to test the motor to see if it works.

Offline musntgrumble

« Reply #14 on: 27, August, 2013 - 10:05:39 »
Sounds good, I had some good quality alloy wheel cleaner which helped in the early stages that might be worth a try on the oil