News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: click and middle LED all of a sudden  (Read 3687 times)

Offline Theojw71

• Battery level: 0
  • My OTHER car is a C5...
click and middle LED all of a sudden
« on: 03, May, 2014 - 22:14:10 »
I just picked up my c5 today from down South and drove home at lightning speed to test it out. had a great evening driving up and down the neighbourhood. I then took it on a couple of longer drives including a few hillier road stretches. All worked fine including the lights, fitted indicators and the motor wasn't overloaded (I did pedal when needed).

Right at the end of my journey as I pulled onto my drive and to a halt, I went to give the motor one last push just to get past the garden fence, but just heard a click and noticed the left display showing both outer Amber LEDs bright and the middle LED dimly lit when I pressed the power button.

Can anyone help me? Has something bust or does it just need to cool down? I switched to my spare battery in case that was the issue but got the same symptoms. Could be that battery is duff?

Offline Theojw71

Re: click and middle LED all of a sudden
« Reply #1 on: 04, May, 2014 - 14:21:33 »
OK so this morning I got the C5 out with the battery recharged (in case my issue was due to flat battery and the second battery had been defunct).

I tried to start her up again, but just got a click from the power button and the same dim middle yellow LED.

I pedalled the C5 down the road, turned round and pedalled back (I could hear a slight fringing noise from the pedal chain) and just gave the power button one last press. It worked absolutely fine again!

More confused than ever. Can someone advise what the cause might have been and how it might have been magically fixed?

Offline dansretropod

• Battery level: 3
  • The C5 was born to be customised... 3D style
    • www.c5owners.com
« Reply #2 on: 04, May, 2014 - 18:12:01 »
Check the motor, specifically the brushes

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #3 on: 07, May, 2014 - 20:06:05 »
Also check the motor is sitting cirrectly and not fallen off the plastic lip of the motor housing.

ta Lance

Offline Theojw71

« Reply #4 on: 21, May, 2014 - 19:06:13 »
Hi All,

More unusual symptoms to report. Took the C5 out and had a great ride out, long journey round trip. After returning, swapped the battery and the C5 ran even better. However, after another, shorter trip out, again the motor went completely dead. Again, I got full bars on the right, but just outer LEDs on the left plus the middle amber LED glowing slightly when I pushed the power button on the handlebars.

I left the C5 overnight. The next afternoon, I wheeled the C5 out (still would not start with a slight click, which I think came only from the handlebar switch). I decided to pedal only down the road and see if it ran again, as it did last time. No joy originally, but after maybe 400 yards the motor kicked into life again!

However, slightly different this time as there was a noticeable high-pitched whine from the motor / rear left wheel when I added power and for maybe half a second after letting off the power button.

When I got back onto my drive, the motor went dead again. Right hand display shows all LEDs lit. Left hand display again yellow LEDs only (outer ones plus the middle one when pushing the power button).

I haven't been brave enough to strip the motor apart, and am worried that maybe the gearbox is wearing out or seizing, etc.

Any other ideas what it may be?

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #5 on: 21, May, 2014 - 21:44:12 »
Hi there if you post the motor to me and pay for the return postage I will strip it down service it and send it back to you for no charge  (That is if it is repairable) bye Chas