News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: New Sinclair C5 owner in The Netherlands needing some help!  (Read 2202 times)

Offline iDesignyou

• Battery level: 0
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!

Dear All,

Thank you very much accepting me to the C5live forum.

I have been a vey big fan of the Sinclair C5 for many years now and finally I have my own!

The Sinclair C5 was purchased in Noord Holland with a non functioning motor. I think the polarities of the battery were placed the wrong way around! On closer inspection of the POD, I cannot see any thing obvious there but I have not had the chance to check the Control Box yet as it is sealed shut with heat sink rivets i think.

I have just had the Sinclair resprayed in matt black as the condition of the original shell was fairly poor.

Firstly I wanted to ask for anyones advise with regards to getting the motor working again and also how to insure the Sinclair C5 in The Netherlands?

My auto insurance company will not insure it unless it has a licence plate and informed me to contact the RDW in The Netherlands. When I contacted them I was told to bring it to them to inspect at a cost of 190 euros! Please can someone help with this problem also.

Kind regards,

Richard

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: New Sinclair C5 owner in The Netherlands needing some help!
« Reply #1 on: 21, May, 2014 - 15:54:07 »
Hi there welcome to the forum ...Regarding the motor have you connected  straight to a battery to se if it turns ..If not try and ease the brushers up a little using the copper braiding wire but before doing it spray some WD40 down the tube ...and be carfull not to pull to hard on the copper wire braiding ...
Regarding ins we do not need to insure our C5s to use them on the road ....
bye Chas ....

Offline iDesignyou

• Battery level: 0
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #2 on: 21, May, 2014 - 16:58:49 »
Hi Chas,

Thanks for your response, I have not tried the motor directly to the battery yet. I shall try what you said :)

With regards to getting it insured this is what I received from my business insurance below:

"You write in the mail below that the Sinclair will be used on bicycle paths and maybe on the public road, therefore it's necessary that your vehicle is checked by the RDW (the Dutch Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency)

When your vehicle is checked by the RDW I'd like to receive the documents that they allow to use the vehicle on the public road , when the vehicle is not checked and allowed to drive on the public road we can't insure the Sinclair".

What do you think to the above, I am sure all children's go karts are not insured to use on the bicycle paths/public roads.

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

Richard

Offline Ton C5

• Battery level: 4
  • If it aint broken, dont fix it
« Reply #3 on: 21, May, 2014 - 20:08:44 »
Hi Richard,

dont bother with the rdw, you wil never get a licence plate .
2 options, first get a pedelec sensor fitted. now you are road legal. no problem.
second: ensure it as a scootmobiel  ;) and hope nobody asks to many questions .
(or do like i do and pretend you know notting en just drive  :D )

Ton