News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: Hello from Milton Keynes!  (Read 3627 times)

Offline Zelandeth

• Battery level: 0
  • Whatever I do I won't get distract...Oooohshiny...
    • LOZ - Old tech, oddball cars, lighting info...and whatever else I remember to upload
Hello from Milton Keynes!
« on: 06, June, 2014 - 21:49:55 »
Just a quick hello really!

Despite having a house full of ancient electronics from the 60s to 90s, and having a driveway full of 80s metal (the current contenders there being a Saab 900i and a Skoda 120LX) I'd never actually got around to getting a C5.  Mostly because I wasn't sure where I would actually use it, nor store it for that matter.

However, we just moved house.  Now I live in Milton Keynes where we have more off-street cycle paths than you can shake a very large stick at, and have storage space.  This place really does look to be prime C5 territory given my observations from a bike over the last few weeks.  Suffice to say it wasn't long before I took a punt on a pair of rather bedraggled but original looking C5s that were only a couple of hours away.  Basic intention at this point is to make one as near to factory finish as possible, and the other which has a worse body probably to be finished in some alternate colour scheme more to my other half's tastes.

I've put a post up in the gallery section which will cover the pair being dragged back into the land of the living.  Hopefully some of you will find it of interest!

Will most likely be making a point of dragging one of them to a few classic car shows later in the summer along with the Saab and Skoda (once I get its wheel bearing changed and a fresh MOT on it anyway...).

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: Hello from Milton Keynes!
« Reply #1 on: 07, June, 2014 - 08:53:23 »
Hi there Welcome to the forum ..Regarding stripping /building up of the C5 I do have a few Videos  on youtube they may help  JORDAN8ISH

Bye Chas

Offline Zelandeth

• LOZ - Old tech, oddball cars, lighting info...and whatever else I remember to upload
« Reply #2 on: 07, June, 2014 - 16:46:00 »
Thanks for that!  Generally looks simple enough though I'm sure I will find some pitfalls along the way!  The Skoda and Saab have already prepared me for some "unique" engineering principles though I'm sure that I will find more here as I start pulling things apart.

So far a blown diode and a slightly dodgy relay are about the most troublesome finds aside from some chain tension issues.

The rest has just been changing inner tubes, greasing bearings and changing brake cables.  Imagine greasing the gearbox should probably be next on the list.

Offline dadandjames

• a man is a boy with a bigger toy
« Reply #3 on: 07, June, 2014 - 19:08:18 »
Hello from over the border in central beds. I woundered who bought those c5s. Had a bid or two myself.  MK is great for C5s
Martin

Offline Zelandeth

« Reply #4 on: 07, June, 2014 - 20:30:38 »
Seemed like something that needed to be bought living in MK.  Yes this is the pair that were on ebay a couple of weeks back, they were near enough that it seemed worthwhile taking a punt on them!  Was a bit of a gamble as to whether we would be able to fit both of them in the car, but we managed.  Just!  They're longer than I remembered!

Offline Edward Green

• Administrator
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #5 on: 09, June, 2014 - 09:56:52 »
Welcome to the forum. I lived in Milton Keynes for a number of years and the redways are super we are thinking of doing a ride out there sometime in the summer holidays as we still have family and friends there. We were thinking from the center through down to willen lake way maybe.. but plenty other routes to take. :)

Offline Zelandeth

« Reply #6 on: 09, June, 2014 - 14:07:21 »
That's a nice run up that way, have cycled there a couple of times.  We're basically a stone's throw from the Centre, so can get pretty much anywhere from here easily enough.  May have to head out that way next time I take the C5 out.

Just need to learn my way around the redways as I've not been here long!

Offline frankev

• One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #7 on: 22, June, 2014 - 15:01:09 »
Welkome,

We seem to have some things in common 8)
I get around with a Saab 900c and I can take two C5's. One on the roof and one on a trunk imperial.

Copendriver and Retro Andy have or had the same combinatoin as well. 8)

Greetz

Frank

Offline Zelandeth

« Reply #8 on: 01, July, 2014 - 22:10:07 »
Very nice. Imagine that must be an 87 900 given it's got the slope front but the chrome trim which usually disappeared with the facelift.

My first Saab was a 2 door as well, current one is a 3 door.

Offline frankev

• One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #9 on: 02, July, 2014 - 08:20:01 »
 Close enough :D it's an 1989 Car. A 900c to be exact. Last one without electronics, just a carburator,  :-[it has hydraulic powersteering and that's it.  :) Last Saab That I can fix myself.

It is something in the eighties that really appeals to me, just as well for the Sinclair. Because it is not to advanced electronics, etc, I can fix most of the problems myself again.
( my last modern Car was a Renault Grande Scenic, I even had to go to a garage if I needed to change a lightbulp in the headlight)
The onboard computer was so advanced, I only had to have it serviced about 15 times in the first two years of the cars life.

I guess i'm an eighty's guy. Old school.

Greetz

Frank

Offline Zelandeth

« Reply #10 on: 02, July, 2014 - 23:13:45 »
Interesting...Wonder if there were some differences between markets then, as I'm 99% sure that in the UK we lost the chrome trim when the slope front was introduced.  Being an 89 car it would definitely have been fuel injected as well (as mine is - albeit the K-Jetronic system, so no pesky electronics to worry about).  Interesting!

Here's my Saab.  Albeit in somewhat tidier shape than it is just now, is in desperate need of a good valet at the moment.

Also in keeping with the 1980s theme, though even further down the simplicity route, this is what it shares the driveway with!

Believed to be the last Skoda 120LX surviving on the road in the UK.