News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Hello from sunny Peterborough  (Read 3276 times)

Offline Stephen

• Battery level: 0
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Hello from sunny Peterborough
« on: 08, September, 2014 - 11:47:14 »
Hello everyone. As my username suggests, I'm Stephen, and I'm leading a team at my work on a Sinclair C5 project. Before that I had no knowledge, and little interest in C5s, but have certainly changed my opinion since taking this on back in April.

So my Director had a crazy plan to make an autonomous vehicle - more of a team-building exercise than a commercial enterprise, and he put me in charge of it. We went for a C5 as a bit of fun, and having looked around, I think we got lucky with the one that we bought (from eBay) as it was in really good condition, and pretty much complete. We've been as sympathetic as we can be to the look of it, but we have done a bit of work on the electrics and the control. Autonomy is still some way off, but we have made it radio controlled, as you can see in this short youtube video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxVWZoxG14g

We've had to remove the pedals and the handle bars, and we're now working on proportional speed control and steering before implementing any kind of sensors and feedback control. We're having real fun with it, and I have to say, I think we've converted a good few enthusiasts at work - they're great little things!

If anyone has any top tips, or things to watch out for, we'd be grateful to hear from you - we're still very much novices!

Offline dantheref

• Battery level: 1
  • I used to be indecisive, but now im not so sure
Re: Hello from sunny Peterborough
« Reply #1 on: 08, September, 2014 - 12:45:38 »
Where do you work, and are there any jobs going?  ;)

looks really fun what you are doing, have you kept the original motor?
If you have removed pedals how are you picking up speed before engaging the motor?

Keep up the good work and ask any questions you might have someone will know the answer!

Offline Stephen

« Reply #2 on: 08, September, 2014 - 13:54:57 »
Ha ha! I work in IT for an insurance broker, and believe me it's not all like this - we've done most of it in our spare time to be fair.

With the pedals off, we've struggled with the power. It does still have the original motor, and I know you're not supposed to run it straight from stationary, but we have done on a few occasions. Other than that, we've given it a bit of a push to get it going first! We're currently in the process of introducing a motor controller so that it applies power gradually so even with the original motor we'll be able to start from standing-still. That along with proportional steering. Currently at full speed if you steer at all it's a little senstive - we rolled it the other day and watched it skid up the road on its side. Luckily no-one was injured but we did some damage to the indicator!! The proportional steering will mean that the faster it's going, the less sensitive the steering will be!

So where do you guys go for spare parts and stuff like that? I keep one eye on eBay but it seems a bit slow for parts.

Offline dantheref

• Battery level: 1
  • I used to be indecisive, but now im not so sure
« Reply #3 on: 09, September, 2014 - 00:46:20 »
Cool, sounds like an interesting project! Try to keep those indicators as protected as possible!!

As with anything 30 years old parts can be hard to come by, things like mirrors and indicators are rare and expensive when they become available. Also light lenses are harder to get as nothing is made like them anymore, so we are relying on people splitting c5s or selling old stock. Other parts are easier. Many generic parts like tyres, switches, wires, chain tensioner a etc have new modern day replacements that will do the job.

If there is anything in particular you need just ask we can point you in the right direction.

Offline Stephen

« Reply #4 on: 09, September, 2014 - 10:42:21 »
That's great thanks! I'll definitely ask in here if we need anything, and I'll keep you posted on the progress we make!

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #5 on: 09, September, 2014 - 13:13:07 »
Hi

I am in Peterborough, i have been playing with C5s for a few years. If you need any help give us shout .

John - PLOD11

Offline Stephen

« Reply #6 on: 09, September, 2014 - 17:09:38 »
Thanks John, that's really helpful. I'll definitely give you a shout when we get stuck. Note that I say "when" and not "if"!!