News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: Best way to remove the front forks?  (Read 3552 times)

Offline jockywilson11

• Battery level: 1
Best way to remove the front forks?
« on: 23, April, 2015 - 19:38:48 »
Hi folks,

I am looking to remove my front forks, what's the best way of doing it without removing the body?

What size socket do you need to undo the lock nut on the top of the fork housing, and what's the best way to disconnect the steering?

Cheers John

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
Re: Best way to remove the front forks?
« Reply #1 on: 23, April, 2015 - 22:55:59 »
Hi John,

the securing nut is 31mm, so you'd need a 32er (1ΒΌ") socket. I've never done a body on fork removal, but from what I've experienced with the body off I would assume it's not possible. Not having a 32er socket or fixed jaw spanner I've always used a massive adjustable. The force required is quite incredible, so I locked the forks with a stable wooden beam to counteract the torque. The T bar would have to be so long it wouldn't fit inside the wheel well, with one that would fit I don't think you could produce enough force to loosen the nut. If the fork has been removed in the past the nut might not be so tight as from the factory. Anyway give it a try and good luck.

To remove the steering bar just pop it off the ball, a bit of force is required or maybe try with a lever.

Av phun.

Karl.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #2 on: 24, April, 2015 - 09:51:41 »
Hi there John I have had a socket made just for the job let me know if you want to lend it
Bye Chas

Offline jockywilson11

« Reply #3 on: 26, April, 2015 - 21:09:23 »
Cheers Guys.

Offline jockywilson11

« Reply #4 on: 29, April, 2015 - 20:44:02 »
I managed it with a deep 31mm 1/2" drive socket and 18" t bar. All you have to do to get access is remove the front light and the socket gets in with no trouble.
 Thanks for the help guys :-)

This one if anyone needs one :-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291347238184?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT