News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Filming with the National Geographic TV Channel  (Read 43596 times)

Karl

Filming with the National Geographic TV Channel
« on: 01, April, 2009 - 12:58:41 »
..having received this email ;

...We are producing a documentary series called 'Britain's Greatest Machines with Chris Barrie' for the National Geographic Channel....

...I've agreed to provide two C5's for the day  8)

Filming is taking place on Tuesday 7th April - not sure when the programme will be screened though .

Should be a fun day   :)
« Last Edit: 01, April, 2009 - 13:00:56 by Karl (C5Alive) »

Offline minidaz

• Battery level: 6
Re: Filming with the National Geographic TV Channel
« Reply #1 on: 01, April, 2009 - 15:31:05 »
Cool  ;D
We saw Chris Barrie a few years ago doing standup, along with Norman Lovitt. Was very funny  ;D ;D

Offline minimin

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #2 on: 01, April, 2009 - 16:50:24 »
..having received this email ;

...We are producing a documentary series called 'Britain's Greatest Machines with Chris Barrie' for the National Geographic Channel....

...I've agreed to provide two C5's for the day  8)

Filming is taking place on Tuesday 7th April - not sure when the programme will be screened though .

Should be a fun day   :)
Good job everyone will be energized from the C5's appearance on the Gadget Show the night before....

blabblub

« Reply #3 on: 01, April, 2009 - 17:50:20 »
If this keeps up Karl , you may well have to give up the day job  ;D

Blabblubububububububububububububub

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #4 on: 01, April, 2009 - 20:35:34 »
Can't wait to see this one, great stuff knowing the c5 is becoming more of a icon .

Retro Andy

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 02, April, 2009 - 11:20:55 »
If this keeps up Karl , you may well have to give up the day job  ;D

Blabblubububububububububububububub

...I've been on a mixture of 8 hour nights shifts, 12 hour night shift and 6pm-2am shifts for the past week.  Giving up the day job might be tempting  ;D :D

I'd forgotten about the gadget show being on the night before , I must remember to watch it ! :P

I am looking forward to this new bit of filming though...should help the C5 keep its "iconic" status   8)

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 07, April, 2009 - 23:00:15 »
Today was a fantastic day  ;D

Just as my Sat-Nav told me I was getting close to the location for this filming, three DeLorean cars went whizzing past  :o Since this isn't something you often see, I assumed I was indeed close to the venue  :)

Here are some piccies from the film shoot ;

Once they had finished filming with the DeLorean's, they moved onto the Sinclair C5's ;

« Last Edit: 07, April, 2009 - 23:11:44 by Karl (C5Alive) »

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 07, April, 2009 - 23:09:15 »
They opted to use "Dave" rather than "Moneypit" ;

...and they made good use of the boot on the C5 ,it held a lot of the gear for the mini-camera mounted ahead of the handlebars.

.......and lastly, a piccie of the man himself ;

He is an absolute legend - a really nice bloke who made you feel as though you had known him for ages  8)

Chris had that "C5 grin" and admitted he was enjoying himself on a C5 - even though it must have been quite a change from the DeLorean he was driving only half an hour previously  :D

A really good day and looking forward to watching the episode - I am told it will be screened on Sunday 28th June.

We might have to invite ourselves to RetroAndys for a TV session after the Royal Run  ;D

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #8 on: 08, April, 2009 - 09:10:28 »
How cool a day did you have, I have always loved the DeLorean and would have one given half a chance (i do have a huge list for my dream collection) but the Delorean is up there with K.I.T.T and the A-Team van. The filming looks quite comprehensive, i might have to work in the evening after the run, but i will be recorded it, what time will it be on air ?

P.S the A-Team van is for sale, visit www.theateamvan.co.uk if anyone has a spare £30,000.00 it would make a great C5 carrier.

Retro Andy

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #9 on: 08, April, 2009 - 09:17:19 »
I've just thought i dont get the National Geographic Channel on free view.

Retro Andy. 

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 29, May, 2009 - 09:38:08 »
They are just starting to show the adverts for this new series on cable, looks like it's going to be good  8)

Karl

« Reply #11 on: 02, June, 2009 - 07:09:54 »
Just received this info via an email ;

BRITAIN’S GREATEST MACHINES with Chris Barrie

MACHINES THAT CHANGED THE FACE OF BRITAIN

The Gamma Project’s new series with Chris Barrie premieres on

National Geographic Channel on Thursday 4th June.

What were the greatest machines in each decade of British history? Chris Barrie tracks down the mechanical icons that changed peoples’ lives and helped shaped modern Britain.  From the greatest steam locomotives, the early airliners and the first mass produced cars to design icons like the Austin Mini and the E-Type Jaguar.  As ever, Chris is rolling up his sleeves and getting hands on – if it moves he’ll have a go! 

There’s a lot more to all these machines than first meets the eye and Chris digs out forgotten stories and classic moments of invention as he zeroes in on the engineering genius that made each machine so pivotal.  Decade by decade, Chris puts these engineering greats to the test, tells the stories of the brains behind them and examines their place in history.   And, of course, this wouldn’t be British engineering without a few glorious failures along the way.

A series packed full of ripping yarns, petrol-soaked adventures and plenty of va va voom, all delivered with passion and a fantastic sense of humour by the superlative Mr. B. 

EPISODE GUIDE:

Thursday 4th June, 9pm

Episode 1 - 1930’s “The Road to War” Starring: LNER A4 Gresley, De Havilland Dragon Rapide DH 89a, Crusader III Tank, Sentinel Steam Lorry, Morris 8 convertible, Schneider Supermarine S6-B, and Spitfire Mk IX.  Also featuring: Cruiser Tank Mk III

Thursday 11th June, 9pm

Episode 2 - 1950’s “A New World Order” Starring: – Routemaster Bus, Avro Vulcan Bomber B.2, Class 55 Deltic Diesel Locomotive, Lovell Telescope, De Havilland Comet 1A and 4C, and Land Rover Mk 1. Also featuring: Rover P3

Thursday 18th June, 9pm

Episode 3 - 1960’s “Revolution by Design” Starring: - Mini Cooper S, Mini Minor Mk 1, Post Office Tower, Leyland Super Comet, Transit Van Mk1, SR.N6 and Hoverhawk Hovercraft, and Jaguar E-Type Mk 1. Also featuring: Corvette Stingray, Ferrari 250GT Pininfarina, Porsche 911, Morris Minor

Thursday 25th June, 9pm

Episode 4 – 1980’s “The Future has Landed” Starring: - DeLorean DMC-12, Westland Lynx HAS.3 Helicopter, Scimitar Tank, Sierra RS Cosworth, Sinclair C-5, ZX Spectrum, Lotus F1, and Esprit Turbo. Also featuring: Ford Cortina, Ford Sierra

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #12 on: 02, June, 2009 - 08:41:45 »
Looking forward to watching that  :)

Karl

« Reply #13 on: 02, June, 2009 - 21:48:10 »
The latest info from National Geographic ;

Hi,

I am writing to you on behalf of the National Geographic Channel in London to let you know that your website has been selected to feature in our Further Reading section for Britain’s Greatest Machines with Chris Barrie.  We scoured the web for the best and most interesting websites out there and chose yours because of its excellent content and offering related to the show. You can view your link here: http://www.natgeochannel.co.uk/programmes/britains-greatest-machines/learn-more

You get the thumbs up from the National Geographic Channel, which is why we have linked to your website and hope that you receive plenty of new visitors as a result.

I was wondering if you’d be interested in adding a link to our website from your own in return, as I am sure that visitors to your website will be interested in watching the show when it comes out on Thursday 4th June at 9pm. The link is: http://www.natgeochannel.co.uk/programmes/britains-greatest-machines

We also have a fun quiz and video interviews with Chris Barrie and the producer that I hope you like. We will also have a widget for the website available shortly too, so please get in touch should you require any further information.

Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you,

Regards,

Paula

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paula Sandiford

UK Online Content Editor
National Geographic Channel

.. a really cool email  8) ;)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #14 on: 03, June, 2009 - 06:39:03 »
Can anyone record it for me ?

Retro Andy