News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: The dog now hates me.  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
The dog now hates me.
« on: 03, July, 2009 - 16:27:35 »
My wife Julia insisted on taking out our springer, hes a nice dog - soft as a brush and as thick as two short planks.  Mark moaned because I had promised a  run  out on the C5 for good behaviour, so as to kill two birds with 1 stone I suggested we go on the C5's and play Frisbee with the dog when we get to the park.

So we set off and all is good, right up to the point where the stupid mut ran in front of my C5, I slammed on the brakes, the front cable snapped and I ran over the dog !!!! - no worries as he's as hard as a toad, and just gave me a funny look and carried on.

Anyhow when I got back I decided to replace the cable, from some stuff I bought off eBay.  I fitted new blocks about 2 moths ago from the same stash, these aren't original Sinclair blocks, but are black rubber.  When I started to take the cable off, I checked the blocks and found this :-

look how they have worn down - not sure if its because they are cheep rubbish, or that i'm over using my c5  ;D but thats why the cable snapped.

not bad for a brake that does bugger all to stop you - lol
« Last Edit: 03, July, 2009 - 16:29:49 by Umpa »

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: The dog now hates me.
« Reply #1 on: 03, July, 2009 - 16:55:04 »
Perhaps your dog would be happy to go out with you all the time and help you stop and save the wear on your brakes ;D
My brake cable snapped on the hill climb at Brooklands last year, talk about instant panic

Retro Andy

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 03, July, 2009 - 23:19:33 »
My advice would be to replace the brake cables every year - it can be a real pain when they snap, and it is such a quick and easy job that doesn't cost much.

...having said that I should follow my own advice and change the cables on my own C5's... :P

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 04, July, 2009 - 07:49:47 »
As you well know Karl both of my cables have snapped on run's, Sir Clive never intended for the boot to carry shopping, it is only there for carring spare's  :D but this is all part of the fun.

Retro Andy.

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 04, July, 2009 - 12:30:49 »
Umpa is right to mention checking the front brake blocks as well , when we got Jason Bradburys c5 up to 30mph we also found that apart from trashing a gearbox in less than 3 hours, it also went through a set of brake blocks in the same time. Must have been a really soft compound  :o

Proper road testing  ;D