News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Electric trike  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Electric trike
« on: 22, August, 2009 - 12:47:35 »
Whilst at the seaside, I came across a shop selling electric bikes.

The man in the shop said it came under the electric assisted cycle rule (the very same one that our beloved C5 comes under)

He said it was £800. Once I got back to the tent I eBay'ed it and found him selling them on it. 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELECTRIC-TRIKE-E-TRIKE-BATTERY-PEDAL-CYCLE-T-08_W0QQitemZ190329953196QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sporting_Goods_Scooters_LE?hash=item2c508c9bac&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Given what the C5 is and how heavy it is - do you think this is legal ?

On the bike was a telephone number - t

Karl

Re: Electric trike
« Reply #1 on: 22, August, 2009 - 14:36:35 »
If you was going to part with your hard earned beer tokens, it would be worth checking the thing does indeed conform to the reg's.

"Electric-assist cycles & UK law
In the UK, riders must be at least 14 years of age.

Electric cycles are classed as pedal cycles provided they conform to the pedelec definition (motor power output inversely related to speed, and power cut whenever the rider stops pedalling) and have a powered-assisted maximum speed no greater than 25kph (16mph, but you can pedal faster unassisted). They must also have average power output limited to 200W (250W for an electric tricycle or tandem) and weight limited to 40kg (60kg for a tricycle or tandem).

The Department for Transport produces two relevant factsheets about electric cycles and the law: Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycle (EAPCs) in Great Britain and Regulations For Powered Two And Three Wheeled Vehicles .

The "pedelec definition"  is one area I'd need to be happy with ;
"Since June 2003, only the pedelec type of electric bike benefits from being classified as a pedal cycle; throttle-controlled electric bikes (e-bikes) are now considered mopeds1. With pedelecs, the amount of assistance you get from the motor reduces as go faster, and cuts out altogether once you reach 25kph. The motor also cuts out if you stop pedalling. This ensures an intuitive bicycle-like ride

..and also it's weight.

Buying one and then finding it doesn't conform to recent regs would be upsetting !

Not sure I fancy one of those though, it doesn't look as good as a c5 and I doubt it's performance is all that great.
« Last Edit: 22, August, 2009 - 16:24:05 by BooBoo »

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 22, August, 2009 - 21:57:19 »
No I dont want one either, it just looked heavy & the bumf says it can cary two adults - not bad for a 250 watt motor - lol

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 23, August, 2009 - 07:30:30 »
Odd looking thing,I reckon thats Umpa took the picture with the cover still covering the back of it, so it did'nt spoil the rest of his holiday snaps  :D.

Retro Andy.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 23, August, 2009 - 08:39:32 »
lol we had 3 min of very light rain and the man ran out and covered it up - lol