News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Hooray! I finally got one!  (Read 11772 times)

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
Re: Hooray! I finally got one!
« Reply #30 on: 29, September, 2009 - 20:21:06 »
Afraid not mate.  The bike shop still have it.  That's a week they've had it now!

Bit of a complicated story really, but the basic part is that they haven't had time to look at it yet.  Really inconvenient I know, but to be fair to them, they're pretty busy and they don't 'do' C5's as their first method of business.  They sell and repair bikes and motorcycles.

Despite the C5 resembling the likeness of bikes in so many ways, they're not willing to rush looking at my C5 in case they miss or break something.  The guy said they wanted to give it their undivided attention, so as to make sure they do a good job at whatever they do.  He said he'd have a look today if he could, then get it ready as soon as possible.

I must say though, I do miss it!

Offline mike7201

« Reply #31 on: 30, September, 2009 - 21:00:28 »
Today marks one week since I had my C5 taken in on the recovery vehicle!  Still no news, but I popped in to the shop yesterday and they said that they would have a look at it then.  No news so far though.

Part of me thinks they're just holding on to it and I may catch them riding it!!  The other part of me thinks that they're just really busy!

Hmm??

Ah well.

Sooner I get to know what condition it's in the better.

Karl

« Reply #32 on: 30, September, 2009 - 21:09:51 »
Is is just a replacement wheel, or is there anything else you've asked them to repair for you ?

Offline mike7201

« Reply #33 on: 30, September, 2009 - 22:23:30 »
I've just asked them to do whatever is needed to make it safe/useable after it had been riding for 100 yards with no front tire, but not to 'tamper' with anything else, unless it's to maintain safety features such as brakes etc. 

From memory, can you remember what work you did on it other than fit a wiring kit?  I remember you mentioned a pod repair, but regretfully I lost the information, so can't recall what's been fixed and when.

Thanks

Offline mike7201

« Reply #34 on: 01, October, 2009 - 12:29:35 »
Right...  I called the bike shop today, and the guy there has taken a look at it.  He says that the front wheel is a write-off (no surprise there then).

He's offered to change the wheel and replace it with one which has a steel rim.  He said that my front tyre was an original one with Sinclair embedded on it!  I was a little disappointed at this, as I was told by my seller that the tyres had all been replaced.

Never the less, it's due to be changed.

The guy also reported that all my brake shoes had glazed over and become useless!  He said he's going to replace them.

Blimey - looks like I was lucky. 

Never mind.  Hopefully, I'll be able to ride it again within the next few days.  I plan to take some pictures too, so as soon as I've done that, I can share my C5 with everyone else.

Thanks for reading.

Mike

Karl

« Reply #35 on: 01, October, 2009 - 17:09:44 »
You can't go wrong with a steel front wheel - highly recommended  8)

Makes perfect sense to change the tyre and brake blocks as well.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #36 on: 03, October, 2009 - 19:18:48 »
Great news...

They've fixed it, or that's what they say.

I asked them to check that the front wheel shroud fits over the new steel wheel, otherwise I'll be disappointed about that, still, not the end of the world if it doesn't fit I suppose.

They've replaced the brakes too, so I'll need to wait for them to tell me when I can collect it, and take the plunge and attempt riding it again!

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #37 on: 03, October, 2009 - 22:08:56 »
Great news Mike

Offline mike7201

« Reply #38 on: 03, October, 2009 - 22:48:11 »
Thanks.

Right.  Here are the first of my images, which I hope will work.
This is the battery that I'm using.

C5Martin & Karl kindly advised that this would be fine, however, I don't understand the amps business.  Does anyone know if the amps of this battery matter or not?

Here goes...

Offline mike7201

« Reply #39 on: 06, October, 2009 - 13:13:26 »
 ;D Yay!

I got it back today...

£60 worse off, I'm still the proud owner of a working C5! 

I've had some pictures taken, so I'll try and get these up as soon as I can.

Rode it for work reasons today to collect some stationery from our other office about a mile away.  Had lots of looks, stares, cheers, beeps etc.  Definitely got the C5 grin again!

TTFN.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #40 on: 06, October, 2009 - 16:18:44 »
Well done  ;)  it's a good feeling !

Karl

« Reply #41 on: 06, October, 2009 - 16:41:02 »
That is good news mate  :)

What did you have done in the end ; new tyre,tube,brake blocks  & wheel ?

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #42 on: 06, October, 2009 - 17:30:21 »
Great stuff, really good to hear you are back on the road  :)

Retro Andy

Offline mike7201

« Reply #43 on: 06, October, 2009 - 19:07:53 »
That is good news mate  :)

What did you have done in the end ; new tyre,tube,brake blocks  & wheel ?

Thanks, yes kind of.  New inner tube, new brakes, new metal front wheel. 

The engineer said that the original tyres were fine, and he said he was confident that they're safe!  Blimey.  I didn't know what to say, but he must know his stuff.  We'll see!

He said that he saw little point in replacing them whilst they still looked up to the job.

Meanwhile, on my second outing for the day, I passed a police officer on the street, who (I thought) didn't really know what to make of my C5 when he looked at me riding it!

I'll post pictures as soon as I can.
« Last Edit: 06, October, 2009 - 21:55:22 by mike7201 »

Offline mike7201

« Reply #44 on: 10, October, 2009 - 20:35:06 »
Went out again this evening on the C5.  Visted the chippy for tea.

Managed to get the food in the boot to take home.  But that wasn't until after I had to push through all the people who had whipped out their camera phones and were taking pictures!

The chip shop is next to a pub, so there were people coming out from everywhere.  One guy had a pint in his hand and started asking how much it was worth.  I had to make my excuses and leave before he took a liking to it!

There were some who said - 'blimey where did you find that' and 'I thought they stopped making those'!  Then there were the comments such as 'Can I have a go' and 'how fast can you go on that then'...

I left with a smile, and had everyone watching me depart.  By this time, it was dark, so of course had my lights on.  I also had my new Adam 'Santa' HArper mast on the back.  Looks just the part now with my new C5 Alive stickers on the rear wheels and the C5alive logo on the back light.  Which, I meant to say people must've seen when it was parked!  Great advertising isn't it?

See ya.