News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Micro Men !!! :D  (Read 9090 times)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: Micro Men !!! :D
« Reply #15 on: 02, October, 2009 - 06:22:03 »
I have to agree with Ray, a very good summury of the basic story behind the C5 history, I do remmeber Amstrad buying out sinclair computers, but never knew that Sir Alan was the owner of Amstrad, so I beleive Sir Clive is still are best remmebered inventor when it comes down to personal home electronics etc. 

Retro Andy.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #16 on: 02, October, 2009 - 22:27:45 »
All Alan Sugar did was put it in another case !

He did add a few bits later on - but all the real work was already done by Sinclair.

Karl

« Reply #17 on: 05, October, 2009 - 19:21:43 »
I was given a copy today of The Daily Telegraph magazine dated 4/10/09, which has a superb feature on the Micro Men drama (pages 17 & 19).

I tried scanning the feature but the font is so small it is not readable by time its gone through the photobucket process  :-[ , shame coz its well worth reading.

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
« Reply #18 on: 08, October, 2009 - 22:23:13 »
Just watched this programme, and didn't know what to make of it really.

Apart from it being a clever mix of old and new material, I thought Sir Clive had not been well represented.  Perhaps that was the intention.

Either way, I only watched it out of curiosity.  It's definitely not something I've recorded or have any intention on viewing again on 'iPlayer'.

Did anyone else watch it?

Karl

« Reply #19 on: 08, October, 2009 - 22:29:03 »
I've just got in from work so didn't have chance to view it ...

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: 09, October, 2009 - 05:58:38 »
I was watching electric dreams on iplayer at the time it was on, so it Looks like iplayer again for me tonight.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: 09, October, 2009 - 19:10:15 »
Ok its been watched, I can see why having C5's weren't on the priority list.

To be honest, I liked it, so it did not portray Sir Clive in the best way - BUT it was a good program all the same.  The disclamer at the beginning about parts being made up did not quite cut it, but I still enjoyed it.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #22 on: 11, October, 2009 - 08:14:40 »
I have only just watched it, I thought it was interesting to learn more of the history from back in the day, I think it was made to be funny for viewing perpose and although some parts did'nt make Sir Clive look great it did confirm at the end he is a great man and that is was Sinclair that brought the computer into our homes.

Retro Andy.

giles

« Reply #23 on: 11, October, 2009 - 11:53:33 »
Hi Folks,
I watched it with great interest from a nostalga point of view.
When I was 8 or 9 my dad bought a ZX80, then went on with 81, spectrum etc....  I was laways facinated with the C5, watching it on John Craven's News Round etc....  After watching the Micro Men drama, which in my view was utterly brilliant (great comedy actors those two), I have now joined your club and i will be buying a couple of C5's to add to my collection(!) of 'engineeringly' interesting vehicles.  So from that point of view, I am really chuffed the BBC made it, didn't you think it was interesting they aired it on BBC4 - their arts and discerning viewer channel?!
Their portral of SCS was to be expected I guess, genius he clearly is, but with genius comes an inevetability of extreams of behavour, you can't be that cleaver without being somewhat excentric!
Cheers, Giles (a huge fan of all things sinclair and the great man himself!)

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #24 on: 11, October, 2009 - 20:17:05 »
Hi there ......

What other interesting vehicles have you got in your collection ???? ???

Welcome to the Forum .....    ;D

giles

« Reply #25 on: 12, October, 2009 - 10:45:55 »
Plod..... as per the bottom of my posts.  Interesting to me only perhaps!
Mini - greatest car of all time and mine is quite a special rare cooper S.
Imp - all ali engine, rear drive/powertran, first(?) hatch all introduced in 1963, and what's more you have to be an engineer to own one ;-)
Series Landy, the iconic 4x4 and fabulous along the green lanes!
Boxster S - bit more borning, but blimey it's a great vehicle.
Hope fully soon my first step into electric ownership too!
Cheers, Giles

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #26 on: 12, October, 2009 - 16:33:56 »
I only noticed the bit at the bottom after i had posted the question. DOH  ::)

All sounds really good, my dad had an imp when they first came out, we had a local dealer right next door to us, and i can remember them all lined up down the side road just after they were deliverd.

Plod11

James Foster

« Reply #27 on: 13, October, 2009 - 09:38:42 »
It was quite interesting (haven't seen the end of it yet) as it did illustrate the history of the UK computer industry quite well and the subsequent downturn in their fortunes. I am going to look up historical footage of Sir Clive later to see if he was actually like that! It just seemed like a parody character that Armstrong plays on his comedy show. I was quite interested by Acorn as well. My friends dad had the dubious pleasure of being made CEO of Acorn by new owner, Olivetti, in order to try and to turn around the company in the 1990's.

On a separate note, another friend of mine had an Acorn Archimedes - anyone remember them? I think at the time they had the unheard of memory of 512Kb 

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: 13, October, 2009 - 11:48:20 »
I think that we should remember that this is television, it should not be taken as a documentary (and even then they are not always right).  I'm sure that some creative licence was taken with the attitudes and behavior of the men portrayed.

Think of the hit Titanic - yes we all know it exsisted and we all know it sank, but most of the film was made up, as it had to be to make it watchable, my guess is its the same here.

Karl

« Reply #29 on: 13, October, 2009 - 19:03:12 »
You mean just coz it's in colour, it doesn't mean it's all true ?  :o

I agree, you have to take everything with a hefty pinch of salt these days  :P

Still haven't got round to watching this programme yet  :-X