News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Dragon Technology gearbox conversion  (Read 23043 times)

Offline scott

• Battery level: 8
Re: Dragon Technology gearbox conversion
« Reply #60 on: 29, March, 2011 - 23:13:34 »
lets hope Dave goes for around double the normal ;D I've converted bluebird to 24v but haven't road tested her yet .

Karl

« Reply #61 on: 22, June, 2011 - 18:20:19 »
One of the reasons for testing this conversion for so long is to see what long term snags are likely to crop up before we release the kit for everyone else to buy.

After RetroAndys Royal Run I checked Voodoo over and found some damage on the chassis so today I completed a chassis change ;

..whether or not this damage is solely caused by the latest motor upgrade is open to debate. I can't honestly remember when I last checked the chassis  ::). So I've changed it over today and will be keeping a close eye on it. So far, the motor and gearbox combo are excellent and running very well, giving a nice balance of extra torque for hill assist , and just a little more top speed. All those that have tried it out seem to agree it's set about right  8).

Just need to rule out whether or not it damages the chassis now  ;)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #62 on: 22, June, 2011 - 18:42:00 »
This is what I am thinking about, I know we have loads of fun on the runs etc, but for a 26 year old vehicle we do give them some stick, I am on the look out for a second C5, and I wish to remove anything I can get away with not using (keep the spares for Charlie) and stick a big motor on it just for speed and more fun and laughs, and keep Charlie original and look after it a bit more. Keep us up to date with things Karl.

Retro Andy.

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #63 on: 22, June, 2011 - 20:06:18 »
Looks like age corrosion but suggest getting Chas to make a new type of chassis frame.

Lance

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #64 on: 23, June, 2011 - 10:02:26 »
Looks like torsional stress (over the original design level)popped corroded spot welds, and then the twist caused the vetical "web" to buckle..

Karl

« Reply #65 on: 25, June, 2011 - 08:30:08 »
Looks like torsional stress (over the original design level)popped corroded spot welds, and then the twist caused the vetical "web" to buckle..

..I'm suspecting you're right, but to fully convince myself I'm potentially sacrificing the replacement chassis. If this one splits as well over the next few weeks, then I'll know for sure and we can sort out a strengtheningh bracket or something.

All part of the "r & d" ,and as the old saying goes "no pain, no gain"  ;D

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #66 on: 25, June, 2011 - 08:41:38 »
R & D ?

Retro Andy.

Offline vanpeebles

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #67 on: 25, June, 2011 - 08:58:07 »
Research and Development :) I wonder if you could seam weld the chassis then maybe drill the odd hole and put a bolt through with a plate either side.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #68 on: 25, June, 2011 - 09:12:53 »
I think the chassis was effected by the extra torque from the motor, but I reckon it's
repairable, but it would mean a stronger chassis would be needed if I go this route, I do want to wait till I can get myself a second C5 and modify it in this way.

Retro Andy. 

Offline Lancealot

« Reply #69 on: 25, June, 2011 - 09:19:50 »
Chas made a plate on one of his C5's that still allowed the chain and rear axle to be used but strengthen the back end.

Lance

Offline Jim

• Battery level: 2
« Reply #70 on: 19, July, 2011 - 21:50:32 »
I do mig welding at a reasonable price if anyone is interested (near portsmouth). I will be doing the chassis on my 24v as soon as I work out how to straighten it out!

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #71 on: 23, July, 2011 - 20:15:07 »
As these problems would not arise from fitting the gearbox on a 12v machine, I think you should release it.  It would be a good upgrade for people looking for a new replacement gearbox, originals are getting hard to find.

ump..

Offline Lancealot

« Reply #72 on: 26, July, 2011 - 20:18:21 »
I agree, when is this new gearbox available. Even if it is effecting the chassis (but not convinced considering other 24v conversions with no effects) then it is the individuals risk.

Come on Karl, 24v convertions are awaiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lance

Karl

« Reply #73 on: 26, July, 2011 - 22:24:01 »
Now that Chas has discovered a source of "new" old stock motor/gearbox combo's there seems less urgency than before. So the emphasis seems to have shifted a little from simple finding a replacement or alternative box to now finding a replacement that allows for more performance with equal or better reliability - especially with events like the AER and BVS Electrathon.

Voodoo is performing really well with the latest prototype as Max and Steve will verify. During the Sunday run at Zutphen I was using Voodoo to push Steve and Max along (though not at the same time) after their batteries expired. So far I'm very pleased with it but still keeping an eye on the replacement chassis.