News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Sinclair-Fan from Germany  (Read 8719 times)

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: Sinclair-Fan from Germany
« Reply #15 on: 10, June, 2012 - 16:50:22 »
PUT  ME DOWN FOR 4 ....Thanks Chas

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #16 on: 11, June, 2012 - 10:02:44 »
The ULA + board he made he open sourced everything so anybody with a bit of electronic knowledge can build themselves - with the only hard part (if you call it hard) being programming the HEX file onto the mcu.

My own version of the replacement ULA is taking longer than I wanted :(

Phil

« Reply #17 on: 12, June, 2012 - 20:20:20 »
Great to hear that the C5 did not cause any trouble during this rather long joyride, Theo! I'm pleased to could help you fixing the electronics.
I think, when I repaired the axis of my C5 I will make a tour as yours around the lake too.

But concerning the ULA replacement I'm sorry to say, that I don't plan to make more units. It was fun at the time but now I prefer to busy myself with other projects. I always seek for new challenges ;)
However, as Mike just said, the replacement unit is completely open source and everybody is free to rebuild it. I'd like to see that someone actually goes about it and builds his very own module. With some electronic skills it's really a breeze.

Best regards,

Phil

marra

« Reply #18 on: 12, June, 2012 - 21:01:52 »
hi. I dont have one to copy. Does anyone have one that could do it ?  :-\

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
« Reply #19 on: 13, June, 2012 - 17:15:34 »
Hi there Dave check out his site  ...http://www.cypax.net/projects/c5/blog/index?language=en

bye Chas

Offline theo

• Battery level: 7
  • A Life without C5 would be possible but senseless
« Reply #20 on: 13, June, 2012 - 19:55:37 »
Do you think he could do some more, I could do with a few. just ULA module replacement not the pedlec attachment . How long did it take you to round the lake, what a holiday and good views.  :)

Hi Marra,
it took us 6 days, 2 sections about 50 km/each and 4 sections 30-40 km/each. Four years ago I did the Lake Con-
stance Cycle Tour by bike. And I will do it again with my C5. I can really recommend the trip around the lake. If anybody is thinking of doing the tour, it would be a pleasure to give some tips.
Theo

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #21 on: 14, June, 2012 - 06:35:05 »
Perhaps we could hold a long weekend run sometime in the uk covering a longer distance than a normal run and camping out a couple of nights along the route ?

Retro Andy.

Karl

« Reply #22 on: 14, June, 2012 - 08:37:50 »
Perhaps we could hold a long weekend run sometime in the uk covering a longer distance than a normal run and camping out a couple of nights along the route ?

Retro Andy.

Quite keen on that idea myself , maybe something for next year ?

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #23 on: 14, June, 2012 - 16:12:05 »

Retro Andy.

Quite keen on that idea myself , maybe something for next year ?

I'd be up for that!

Offline KarlG

• You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #24 on: 25, September, 2012 - 23:34:04 »
Grusstie Theo,

with regards to post #1, I think the term is 'twin leading shoe brakes'.  ;)

Have you made any changes to the C5 before putting on the road?

I was once controlled by the police, luckily on a private car park, he was just curious about the C5, BUT he did say "Nice, but don't let me catch you on the road, as it stands it's not road legal". I did some checking in the IN and came up with the following:

For Mofa registation, a twist grip or thumb lever speed control is mandatory, motor cut-off swiches fitted to all braking systems (so you don't power drive against the brakes), turn indicators, horn, brake lights, 25 kmh cut-off if driven without a licence, crash helmet. I also found under under electric vehiles that a speed control is mandatory. The C5 may have been produced in 85, but still comes under the regulations that were in force at that time. Because of this I decided on a pedelec conversion.

I know of a lot of people driving standard C5s on the roads here and have never had any problems. But, Ottobrunn is not large and with one warning I'm not going to take any chances, if impounded there is a good change that I will loose the C5.

Servus.

KarlG.

Blueloop

« Reply #25 on: 26, September, 2012 - 07:39:00 »
Better add a pedelec sensor and a 25km/h motor cut off. Then it is a bicycle. No need for paper, TÜV and so on.

Offline KarlG

• You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #26 on: 26, September, 2012 - 09:12:04 »
The software for Phil's ULA replacement unit incorporates a programmable motor shut down.

Cheers.

KarlG.