C5 Help > Tried & Tested : Share your good,or bad, experiences

Tyres

(1/4) > >>

Karl:
I've used three different makes of tyres on my C5's over the years .

First up - The Sinclair tyres from Adam Harper

These where fitted to "Moneypit" when it was orginally overhauled by Adam in December 2006. They have lasted well, with lots of tread left on them despite having been used for every C5 meeting, including the London-Brighton run.

These Sinclair tyres are the same spec as the original fit, so for a concours restoration - where originality is a must - then these are the ones for you.They are made from quite a hard compound & wear well, mine are just starting to show their age with cracks now appearing in the sidewalls

In summary I'd say excellent tyres , but quite expensive - to put it into context you could buy a complete set of Schwalbe tyres,with tubes, for a similar cost to one of the Sinclair tyres. 

Karl:
Very similar to the original spec rear wheel Sinclair tyre is the front tyre from a Raleigh Chopper - much cheaper but it does have the red line running around the sidewall;

This seems to be made of a softer compound than the Sinclair tyre as I managed to wear one through to the canvass on the skid pan at Brooklands (just before the wheel snapped ::))

Cheaper than the original spec tyre from Adam harper, but in my humble opinion, not as good.

Karl:
My favourite tyre at the moment, and what seems to be the tyre of choice amongst most of us, is the Schwalbe "City jet".

They look great and run well, offering a good balance between minimal rolling resistance, which is important for maximum range, and good levels of grip, which is important for stopping and cornering  :). The compound seems to be slightly softer than the original Sinclair spec but they still last well. They are also available in a matching set for both front and rear wheels.

I've found them to be an excellent choice for the c5 and highly recommend them  8)

Umpa:
mine has those on it too, what are they originally for and where would I get some when the the time comes ?

Karl:
schwalbe tyres are "on the shelf" ready to go ;
http://c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=14&osCsid=9b5c83f28bb3e111e865dd53300137d0

genuine Sinclair tyres are available from Adam Harper

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version