News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Advice Needed Please  (Read 2493 times)

Offline pso-buzz

• Battery level: 4
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Advice Needed Please
« on: 20, August, 2012 - 12:44:55 »
Hello

I am interested in buying a C5, I am happy to do a restoration or buy one that is pretty well sorted.

I need to ask a few questions please.

I am 12 stone but 6ft 2in, will I fit in it and will I be able to peddle it?

How much do you think I will need to pay to find one that is sound but maybe needs some work?  I am happy strip it down and clean the chassis up etc but want one without serious damage.

I don't have a garage but I could store it inside I think, would it come to much harm stored outside under a cover?

I have been looking on ebay and there seem to be a lot for sale but are all over the country. Does anyone know of any in the Manchester area that are for sale?

Where do people use them? I have never seen any on the road.

Any help for a newbie would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty handy and don't mind servicing my own car and have rebuilt an old MG, this seems like a whole other ball game. So help needed please.
Thank you

Simon

Offline mhurt

• Battery level: 3
Re: Advice Needed Please
« Reply #1 on: 20, August, 2012 - 13:29:54 »
I can only help a little, as I've not had my C5 long (only 4-6 weeks), but I'll offer what I've learned so far.

I am 12 stone but 6ft 2in, will I fit in it and will I be able to peddle it?

I'm 14St 5lb and 6ft 2in and I had the same concern as you.
The thing I'd ask is, what shoe size are you, as this will probably affect pedaling more :)

I'm a size 11-12 and I had to adjust my foot position as the toe end of my trainers rubs on the  top front of the body, so I tend to have the ball of my feet on the pedals rather than the arch. I have one pair of trainers that I've allocated for C5 use, as the ends are thinner, but even then I leave a small pile of rubber shavings in each footwell after a ride.

Other than that, I don't have a problem with my height or weight (other than my fat backside getting in the way on tight corners :p )

I don't have a garage but I could store it inside I think, would it come to much harm stored outside under a cover?
Mine is stored outside under a cover, so I hope it will be OK. I keep the battery inside though (cold weather and batteries don't tend to mix in my experience). I've bolted a heavy duty ring to the ground that I chain the C5 to (chain around the rear axle) as there are plenty of light finged individuals around here.

Where do people use them? I have never seen any on the road.
I use mine on the road (although I haven't been on it an awful lot yet due to the weather - I need to make a rain cover!) and on the canal towpath. I do get stopped a lot while people ask questions, take photos etc, as most people have never seen or heard of a C5, and those that have, it's generally only been through papers, the news etc in the 80s, but never actually in person.

Plenty more knowledgeable people on here than me, but hope it helps a little :)

Offline coverman

« Reply #2 on: 21, August, 2012 - 09:55:25 »
Restoring a C5 is easy compared to doing so on any car-a C5 is only a pedal tricycle with an electric motor and body added, and most parts are available.
We make a fitted outdoor storage cover, and also sidecurtains for the C5 incidentally
www.thoroughbred-covers.co.uk

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 21, August, 2012 - 11:37:26 »
welcome to c5alive mate

superb reply by mhurt  8)

Offline mhurt

« Reply #4 on: 22, August, 2012 - 17:21:11 »
Restoring a C5 is easy compared to doing so on any car-a C5 is only a pedal tricycle with an electric motor and body added, and most parts are available.
We make a fitted outdoor storage cover, and also sidecurtains for the C5 incidentally
www.thoroughbred-covers.co.uk

You don't happen to do a fitted clear rain poncho for the C5 do you?

Offline Gyrr

« Reply #5 on: 22, August, 2012 - 18:44:23 »
coverman if you are going to Brooklands will you be selling the rain jacket as well as the side panels ? If so, how much ?

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #6 on: 23, August, 2012 - 08:20:10 »
Hi Simon and welcome to the forum.

The offer following our conversation is still open to come and try one of my C5s for a ride around. You have my number speak soon.

Lance

Offline coverman

« Reply #7 on: 23, August, 2012 - 09:46:31 »
The rain jacket is a cagoule with a flap at the front;we do not make this.
The outdoor cover and the side screens we make to order-please call 01132 795079 or email sales@thoroughbred-covers.co.uk