News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Control box resistor repair  (Read 8848 times)

sh0dan

Re: Control box resistor repair
« Reply #15 on: 14, October, 2010 - 18:32:55 »
Thanks, your a star! I couldnt prepay the return postage so just stuck it in with the box, dont worry about change or anything... just happy to have a working control box :)

Thanks again

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #16 on: 15, October, 2010 - 15:33:30 »
Ok road tested today which showed up a problem with the motor load indication. With my current bench testing this fault does not always become obvious (working on that !) which is why I like to road test.The motor load was showing red or green no in between- good news is after replacing the op amp and a couple of transistors all is working well and will be popped in the post first thing in the morning.

Enjoy your C5 ! :)

sh0dan

« Reply #17 on: 15, October, 2010 - 16:38:23 »
Thanks!

I feel both guilty and relieved that you found that, thanks again.

sh0dan

« Reply #18 on: 23, October, 2010 - 15:26:42 »
Picked the control box up and got it installed today, performed the same tests and it looks good. Thanks for sorting some screws out and things, much appreciated.

I also picked up some land rover indicators for the front which mostly fit after some modification.

On to next issues :(

1. The pod still doesn't light up. Unlike last time there is now 5v on the X1 pin array in the pod. I probed positive on pin 1 and negative on 5 (some of the others had negative). I tried probing the led's and got nothing. I cant see any signs of damage this time to any of the components?

2. Its concerning that the previous owner blew out so much of the electrics, is this normal? What happens if I were to connect positive and negative the wrong way around on the battery and is there something I can buy to make it more idiot proof?

Thanks again...

Also got a cheap copy of Chris Barrie's dvd noticed the C5alive advertising :)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #19 on: 23, October, 2010 - 18:35:47 »
Hi bud sorry to here your pod is not lighting up - The problem is defo in the pod as i checked the control box on my C5 and it worked well - the connections are quite temperamentle on the pod - i would check all the soldered joints to x1 and also give it a wiggle - does the c5 run when the switch is pressed ?
Regarding the protection Karl sells a power wiring kit that prevents any damage on reverse polarity which will be back in stock soon - let us know how you get on.

sh0dan

« Reply #20 on: 23, October, 2010 - 20:06:37 »
Wow your good. Using a probe to flex pin 1 of the x1 connector causes all the lights on the left to light up and the outer lights on the right, the right goes to green when the motor is run.

I think this might be the time to invest in a soldering iron, I would hope I could re-melt existing solder without killing the board :)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #21 on: 23, October, 2010 - 20:30:47 »
Great news bud - worth giving the connection pins a bit of a clean up as well . Hope to catch you at one of the runs next year.Keep us updated on your progress  :)
« Last Edit: 24, October, 2010 - 09:27:30 by radiomarty »

sh0dan

« Reply #22 on: 24, October, 2010 - 18:43:09 »
That would be good... although it involves some "bending" to get it in my car.

I and my other half have been out in it today. The connection on the pod is still a little dodgy but works fine. Good fun!

Thanks again for your help.