News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: c5 in Shanghai  (Read 2887 times)

Karl

c5 in Shanghai
« on: 22, January, 2013 - 17:23:52 »
I've received an email from a guy working on a c5 in Shanghai , I've copied part of it below;

Hi Karl

I have imported an C5 I bought from ebay.co.uk as I am consulting to www.yuneec.com and they are using their new generation patented brushless motors for a variety of products.

They are just manufacturing a new motor design now for their  www.e-boards.com  and they also plan to put in a new motor and lithium ion battery in the C5.   Maybe they can make a conversion kit for C5's with a highly efficient and more powerful motor?  we shall see.   At the moment it is just for a bit of fun, the owner of Yuneec wanted to see what Sir Clive had made all those years ago - hence the import.   I think it may be the only one in China.  The owner of Yuneec (Tian Yu) is an entrepreneur and may build an Electric car that probably resembles a Bong Bug more than a C5. 

It just goes to show you never know where they'll turn up  8)

This is a link to one of their projects;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC2TW-VOzLI

...I'd love to see that go to the AER event  :)
« Last Edit: 22, January, 2013 - 17:25:44 by BooBoo »

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 5
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
Re: c5 in Shanghai
« Reply #1 on: 22, January, 2013 - 17:32:31 »
I don't think I would want a motor as powerful as that :o :o With that acceleration the tyers on the C5 would spinn up and they would not last 5 mins. You would defiantly need a speed controller

Offline Howard81

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #2 on: 22, January, 2013 - 17:56:49 »
Certainly sounds like an interesting project!  Please invite him to join the forum and post photos! :D

Offline danny7147

• Battery level: 10
  • If at first you don't succeed... pay someone else.
    • Bikes To The Future
« Reply #3 on: 22, January, 2013 - 18:11:41 »
Be interesting to know the cost if it gets to it. Same subject, different thought, on the basis C5's were designed to top out at 14mph to avoid insurance and licences, if it exceeds that would it then be classed as a motorbike? Electric vehicle? I'm curious to know what licence people would technically need to ride that thing!

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #4 on: 22, January, 2013 - 18:16:46 »
Wow! Are we going to see some C5s with radiators fitted.  ::)

Danny, you might end up burning your fingers if you try to legally put and uprated C5 on the road.

Offline mhurt

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #5 on: 22, January, 2013 - 18:54:43 »
I'd be happy with something semi-legal that could get me uphill! Not too bothered about the speed - could probably get away with something that didn't exceed the 15mph speed but was still powerful enough to pull away without pedalling and get up reasonable hills.

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #6 on: 22, January, 2013 - 21:33:39 »
I feel the need...............................................................................

the need for speed.........................................................................

Geat them to redesign the motor and gearbox for the 24v conversion you can always use the trusted Uni 8 controller.

Lance