News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Goldfinger  (Read 53635 times)

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
Re: Goldfinger
« Reply #105 on: 26, May, 2011 - 12:57:55 »
No problem, i have had a look at several of these and it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Thanks   ;D

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #106 on: 04, July, 2011 - 17:43:53 »
Hi all, have you completed a 24v conversion yet with these items yet.

Could do with knowing to see if going 24v with a spare C5 I have aquired.

thanks Lance

wubbert

« Reply #107 on: 04, July, 2011 - 22:04:52 »
Hi all, have you completed a 24v conversion yet with these items yet.

Could do with knowing to see if going 24v with a spare C5 I have acquired.

thanks Lance

I'm interested too in the results.....because i try the 24v 250w and it doesn't had enough power  :-\
so i ordered the 350W.....but i measured that the 250w only did 160watt  >:(

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #108 on: 05, July, 2011 - 08:30:08 »
Hi Folks thanks for the interest - I will post some pics soon but our initial findings are :

Initial start off is very slow and under powered - poor performance on hills - ok on flat and when up to full speed - the control box i would suggest is not really up to the job and appears to have no adjustment to 'tweek' it. Having said that  i think its gentle smooth action may be kinder to the gearbox and as young Matt is driving is safer ! For those wanting a serious conversion maybe this is not the best set up and the more expensive dedicated adjustable controllers are the way to go.
As for reliability the same set up is being run on the next c5alive outing and hopefully Bluebird will report back on how he gets on.

Radiomarty

Karl

« Reply #109 on: 05, July, 2011 - 08:34:14 »
....As for reliability the same set up is being run on the next c5alive outing and hopefully Bluebird will report back on how he gets on.

Radiomarty

given "bluebirds" history I really hope fortune favours the brave  ;D
...testing a newly converted and modified c5 on its first ever proper run is usually interesting , but doing so in another country has to be a first ! Hopefully it will be enertaining in the best possible way  8)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #110 on: 14, August, 2011 - 22:44:56 »
I have been asked by several people how Goldfinger 24v conversion is going - my initial thoughts are thus :

We planned to do a conversion on a very limited budget to 'test' the water - we purchased a cheap 24v 350watt control for around £7 and a throttle for about £4 - the initial feeling was although slow on take off and struggling a little on hills ,for such a cheap price and having a good speed on the flat once run up, this would prove to be a good cheap solution.

Saturday showed the draw backs - a novice driver with out realizing was holding the front brake on full while also holding full throttle - although an extreme test you could liken this to a very steep hill with a larger c5 rider - the result was a burn out of the Mosfets and the control becoming inoperative.

With this in mind I would conclude that this paticular controller not really up to the job - I think the fact that it appears to have no thermal cut out or acceleration gain control makes it not suitable for C5'S - This is off cause a personal opinion. I intend to try some more controllers and give them some similar stressful conditions to see how they fair. Watch this space for updates.

The controller

The damage to the controller note the burning from current overload

« Last Edit: 14, August, 2011 - 22:49:18 by radiomarty »

Offline Lancealot

« Reply #111 on: 14, August, 2011 - 23:43:19 »
Matt, Nice to know that at least in principle it worked. It may be better to look at a more expensive 24v +500 Watt version as some have +30A capability (approx £18-£47). Note that these do not utilise PWM (Pulse width modulation) for is speed control (as with the 4QD system at approx £120-£140).

In easy electrical calculations the standard C5 motor is a 250W at 12v but we know it operates at and is rated upto 29A. The normal calculation is 250W / 12v = 20.8A, but in realistic terms for power factor calculations is 250W / 12v =20.8A x 1.414 = 29.4A.

So for your 24v conversion to operate you need 29A / 1.414 = 20.5A x 24v = 492W.

I hope this helps as I am also looking at converting my 1st C5 to 24v but as this is potentially a big problem using these cheap alternatives.

I would like to know what you did in regard to the various electrical connections and also nice to see some photos. I am looking at adapting the existing wiring harness so that it can be easily changed back to a 12v version by simply unplugging the 24v bits.

Keep trying and keep others off your C5.

Lance
« Last Edit: 15, August, 2011 - 18:17:20 by Lancealot »

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #113 on: 15, August, 2011 - 08:07:41 »
Cheers Plod will take a look - Lance thanks for your thoughts and a very valid point raised on the current capabilities - I have found another controller which does use PVM and is coming in around £25 - it is rated 480amps so may be just on the edge so we are looking into it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160417444429&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Your point about switching back to 12v is also very good idea on two points -
 1. if the control box does fail we can switch back to 12v to get home
2. it would allow us to switch back to road legal -
I did take out all the existing wiring and rewire from scratch because it was becoming 'cluttered' due to goldfingers gadgets i.e strobes ,indicators, sirens etc so i basically have a 12v circuirt running via a fuse box for the gadgets and a seperate 24v circuit - I will post some photo's at some point soon  :) :)
The idea now is to use a 12v basic relay and switch circuit as Karl has sometimes done as our back up. Will keep you posted on progress.......... ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 15, August, 2011 - 08:31:00 by radiomarty »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #114 on: 31, August, 2011 - 07:05:09 »
Just picked up a 4qd controller secondhand on e-bay -.Its a 48v version (room for future experiments) and have converted it to run on 24v - its a uni 4 so may not have enough umph but gonna give it a go- hope to get it fitted over the weekend......... :)

Offline Lancealot

« Reply #115 on: 31, August, 2011 - 07:40:55 »
Nice find. I have have just ordered the 4QD Uni 8 - 24v. As was not happy with the cheap alternatives following on from others experiences, so I have bit the bullet and gone safe............
I however looking at modifying to get the POD utilising LED's as close to a standard 12v original style.
Good luck with the mods and look forward to seing it running......

Lance

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #116 on: 17, September, 2011 - 14:44:08 »
The trial's continue - have not had a lot of time to play with goldfinger due to 3 complete restorations but decided to quickly fit the 4qd uni 4 controller to see how it goes - please note that 4qd recommend the uni8 however as we picked this up on e-bay cheaply it was worth a shot :

Sadly the initial pull off and up hill performance was poor but great when up to speed and on the flat - the controller also became very hot so it's endurance must be questioned.

Bottom line is yes it is possible to do this on a budget put you will not get that feeling of initial power and have to be prepared for plenty of pedaling -

What next ..... To fit a basic 12v relay circuit for get home failures and Matt is saving up for a uni 8 - It's been a fun adventure but at the end of the day 'you pay your money - you take your chance'  -- TBC............ 

Offline Lancealot

« Reply #117 on: 17, September, 2011 - 22:32:52 »
Hi Matt & Marty, Like the look of the fuse carrier (can I ask were you got if from).  The Uni 8 looks the same as the Uni 4. There must just be a few component changes to allow more current output. The Box is the same but has a thick ali block on the back.

Also do I see a Dragon gearbox???????????

Lance

Karl

« Reply #118 on: 18, September, 2011 - 22:26:37 »
Also do I see a Dragon gearbox???????????

Lance

Yes indeed , it's the display prototype from the c5-25 event. 

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #119 on: 13, May, 2012 - 08:00:21 »
Now fitted with a Uni 8 controller and performing very well - the mods continue - coming up - 24v display pod - motor temp display - upgraded brakes - chassis reinforcement and some form of  cooling for the motor  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: 13, May, 2012 - 08:03:14 by radiomarty »