News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Windsurfing  (Read 6483 times)

RichardV

Windsurfing
« on: 03, April, 2013 - 15:37:32 »
This is supposed to be the off topic area, and all I see are car enthusiasts.  :)

My main passion is windsurfing. You'll often catch me around Rutland on a good forecast, or Hunstanton, Hayling Island, Anglesey, etc. on the weekend.  Any other windsurfers here?

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: Landsurfing
« Reply #1 on: 03, April, 2013 - 21:33:40 »
Hi there just a thought has anyone ever thought of putting a sail on a c5 and used it for Land surfing ...
« Last Edit: 03, April, 2013 - 21:37:27 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: Windsurfing
« Reply #2 on: 03, April, 2013 - 21:54:48 »
I had a go last year, but didn't get the chance to have a good crack at it because of the weather. I did enjoy it so I bought myself a old windsurfing board a wetsuit, wetshoes a life jacket etc so ready to go and hoping to have more chance this year.
The interesting thing is that I live near Hunstanton and will be learning with the help of my cousin, he is a excellent windsurfer and sailor and spends most of his spare time at the sailing club. I wish I had learnt when I was a bit younger, where do you live ?

Retro Andy.

RichardV

« Reply #3 on: 03, April, 2013 - 22:48:05 »
Rutland is my local sailing spot, but I sail down Hunny way a lot, really nice for freestyle at low tide.  It sounds like you have all the kit.  We just need summer to kick in.

What about a C5 powerboat?  The body is a pretty good shape, so either a paddle steamer or just stick an outboard on the back.  :)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #4 on: 04, April, 2013 - 06:27:31 »
I've always thought a C5 would make a good sledge  ;) Do you know anyone from the hunstanton sailing club ? I'm waiting for the right weather conditions as I don't want to end up out at sea if the wind is in the wrong direction.

Retro Andy.

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #5 on: 04, April, 2013 - 12:57:30 »
Is windsurfing difficult? Always wanted to try it but have crap balance.

I don't think a C5 would work with a sail as it would be too unstable IMO - but maybe with a kite?

Offline Ton C5

• Battery level: 4
  • If it aint broken, dont fix it
« Reply #6 on: 04, April, 2013 - 19:54:51 »
I Use to surf a lot, Hook of Holland used to be the spot.
i am afraid i wont fit my wetsuit anymore  :) but its a nice thought . picking up surfing again.

might be a plan to make a surf cart behind my c5

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #7 on: 04, April, 2013 - 20:32:06 »
It seems the idea of a land surfing is catching on maybe I will convert a C5 to one . :) ;) :D ;D
« Last Edit: 04, April, 2013 - 20:58:58 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Offline theo

• Battery level: 7
  • A Life without C5 would be possible but senseless
« Reply #8 on: 04, April, 2013 - 21:54:20 »

Last autumn, I tried land surfing with a kite, but it didn´t work. Too many trees and power lines and not enough
arms :-) I´m thinking about a sail. www.whike.com/en/

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #9 on: 05, April, 2013 - 00:39:59 »
It seems the idea of a land surfing is catching on maybe I will convert a C5 to one . :) ;) :D ;D

Perhaps use one thats been left with out a motor or electrics?

RichardV

« Reply #10 on: 05, April, 2013 - 08:10:03 »
Is windsurfing difficult? Always wanted to try it but have crap balance.
No naturals in windsurfing, it's all about how much you want it.
There are a couple of types of windsurfing.  Drifting around on a big board can be learnt in a few hours, it's social and you would pick nice days that are sunny with light wind.
The 2nd type is shortboarding which takes some effort to learn, you have to want to do it, but it's addictive flying across the water, carving around turns, and doing loops in the air.  This kind generally takes place when it's very windy, and conditions are too horrible for the general public to be out, which is why most think windsurfing is long gone.

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #11 on: 07, April, 2013 - 18:37:54 »
hmmm - the other hobby I wanted to do was bodysuit gliding. But I think you have to be a mega trained parachutist to do it so maybe this will be more realistic

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #12 on: 08, April, 2013 - 10:12:46 »
As a former windsurfing school & shop owner and a landyacht racer I  can assure you that fitting a decent sized sail to a C5 will only end in  disaster. Its far too narrow,and far too weak; a landyacht has a really wide rear track and enormous negative camber;they also have no brakes;using brakes under sail would be very dangerous. Speeds achieved on landyachts are way way beyond the C5 tyres capability.