News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Cimping My P5  (Read 10662 times)

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
Re: Cimping My P5
« Reply #15 on: 25, October, 2012 - 11:29:07 »
There is available cheaply in car accessory shops a finned alumium sleeve designed as an oil cooling device for oil filters: can't remember its brand name. It may fit onto the motor and offer a bolt-on solution.(its held on by the supplied jubilee )

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #16 on: 28, October, 2012 - 13:56:14 »
As Karl has shown Challenger is an excellent example of air cooling working well

Jim's 24v has a simple but very effective solution - Hope he won't mind me posting this :

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #17 on: 28, October, 2012 - 14:45:05 »
The product mentioned by Coverman - however I think forced air is best. (haven't checked the dimensions to see if these fit yet)

http://www.nfauto.co.uk/oil_filter_cooler.htm
« Last Edit: 28, October, 2012 - 15:02:29 by radiomarty »

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #18 on: 28, October, 2012 - 16:29:18 »
@ Coverman,
thanks for the tip, but they may be just a wee bit on the small side. They quote up to 96mm, the C5 motor is a fraction over 100mm. If opened up and forced on they may no sit correctly, even with the clamping band. Pity, they look quite good and there's enough meat for 2 motors. I'll have to think about this one.  :-\

@ Marty,
thanks for the photo and link.  This is the configuration that I had first planned, but was going to fit a larger tube to allow the airflow to pass over the fining. After having a good look at the motor I see that there is ample provision for an air inlet at the rear end, but very little to provide an outlet at the gearbox end. So it's looks like I will have to revert to my original idea (as per your photo).  :-\ :-\ :-\

P.S. You should never have provided that link, just wasted over an hour goggling at the goodies.  :o  BUT, I did find something that I can use, that is if I can't find it here.  :-X

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #19 on: 28, October, 2012 - 16:45:16 »

@ Marty,
P.S. You should never have provided that link, just wasted over an hour goggling at the goodies.  :o  BUT, I did find something that I can use, that is if I can't find it here.  :-X
[/quote]

I spent several hours on there too  :) :)

Offline KarlG

« Reply #20 on: 28, October, 2012 - 16:47:35 »
I want to add a sub-frame to the rear of the C5 for a trailer hitch. I can't add to the top of the frame due to the components mounted there on, the middle of the frame is out because of the down tubes, so this leaves the bottom. I'm hoping to add a disk brake at the rear, so I can disperser with the rear brake fittings.

Now I'm wondering if the frame will be strong and rigid enough to do this. The max all up trailer weight will not be in excess of 40Kg.

Offline KarlG

« Reply #21 on: 30, October, 2012 - 23:07:58 »
All sorts of goodies were delivered today, amongst other things two sets of Schwalbe City-Jets. And at long last, over a year now :o, my daughter delivered C5 #1 along with all the spares I've collected.

So as soon as possible #1 will be stripped and I'll be using the best parts from both units to produce C5 #1.5.   ;D ;D

EDIT: One thing I managed to pick up from evilBay.de is a dedicated two pin LED flasher unit. I'll have to wait for delivery before I can test it and find out just how much current it needs to draw in order to operate at the correct frequency.

P.S. Karl, sending an email concerning Schwalbe 16"ers.
« Last Edit: 30, October, 2012 - 23:19:36 by KarlG »

Offline KarlG

« Reply #22 on: 11, November, 2012 - 14:53:22 »
Things have slowed down due to the rotten weather, but the spares for #1 and #2 are still tricking in. The spare 'old new stock' motor arrived OK, but is still not tested. The off side mirror for #1 has disappeared and if I have to buy just this one it'll be a hell of a job to to find a single item. I've now got the mirrors I wanted for #2, but the price for #1's indicators was beyond my pocket.  :'( :'(
@ Marty. At least I doubled your win on the indicators for you.  8)

Work continues on #2, the motor conversion, plus I now have a complete replacement driven wheel.

I need the CB from #1 so I can test the POD from #2. I tried to remove the inspection cover from the CB, but 3 of the screws are so rusted that there is no way I can use a screwdriver. So when it doesn't rain I'll have to gently drill the heads off.

Well just hope that it doesn't rain too much next week.  ::)

P.S. I did a physical checked on the LED flasher and found out that it's a solid state device. So I assume that the flash rate will be constant regardless of the number of attached LEDs.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #23 on: 11, November, 2012 - 18:23:37 »
Hi Karl I do have one odd mirror somewhere - will have a look and see what side it is and give you first refusal - Marty

Offline KarlG

« Reply #24 on: 19, November, 2012 - 20:15:10 »
Hi Marty,

I read your post some time back, but it appears that I missed giving you a reply.

I have to check with my daughter and get her to double check if she's overlooked it,  and also check my celler as I my have stored it there by mistake. If I have no luck I'll be in contact with you, but it would be nice if, in the meantime, you can keep it on the backburner for me.

Cheers.  KarlG.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #25 on: 19, November, 2012 - 20:35:34 »
Hi Karl - Have found it - the mirror has aged a bit and its for the LH side so I think maybe you require the RH side ?

Offline KarlG

« Reply #26 on: 19, November, 2012 - 20:41:51 »
Well it looks like it's Xmas once again, second time this year.  :D  A Weather-Cheater arrived today, crushed and jammed into an envelope, looks like I'll have to drag out the ironing board and iron.  :o  Don't worry I know the correct way to get rid of the crinkles.  ;)

The other thing that arrived, at last, is the bicycle computer from China, quite nice but the displayed info is a wee bit on the small side for a C5. No sweat I'll just have to wear some attachable binoculars, or obtain a Fresnel screen.  ::)

The other thing is I need to get my Xmas list off to Santa Chas before it's too late.  :)

Offline KarlG

« Reply #27 on: 19, November, 2012 - 20:48:09 »
Hi Marty,

thanks for the quick reply. You are, unfortunately, dead right, it's the RHS one.